Delta flight to Mexican resort city of Cabo diverted after passenger dies on board

Standard routing into KPWK has us dropped down to 3,000’ over Lake Michigan, and under a shelf of the Bravo. I swear I can hear the groan coming from Approach every time I slow to 200 kts...
I got that groan on 145 IOE too, coming into SJC...from the check airman.

"Well..."

In Euro-land, most places will approve high speed arrivals (not German, go figure). 300+ below 10k is not unusual, depending on traffic. Russia is 270 below 10k. It's a different world over there.

yep. Yet the biggest offender by far is Lufthansa. It’s always fun when they’re level at 7,000 and you ask their airspeed and completely lackadaisically they respond “340”

And here, after flying tactical jets for so many years where no limit applied and I was always going much faster, I still these days have to constantly pay particular attention to 250 below 10, since I never had to before. I’m used to 300-350 average for coming and going, 480-600 was average for low level VR/IR routes.
Crying in King Air

I want to say it was TWA/United over NYC.

Partially correct. Since that December 1960 midair collision, they mandated in 1961 speed restrictions below 10,000 feet within 30 nautical miles of a destination airport.

But it took yet another tragedy to have all areas below 10,000 ft be max 250 knots.

Partially correct. Since that December 1960 midair collision, they mandated in 1961 speed restrictions below 10,000 feet within 30 nautical miles of a destination airport.

But it took yet another tragedy to have all areas below 10,000 ft be max 250 knots.

was it the PSA 727 over SAN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

was it the PSA 727 over SAN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, earlier.

Sadly, the PSA accident wasn't the one that required TCAS. It was 8 yrs later after the Cerritos (LA) midair collision in 1986 of an Aeromexico DC9 and a Piper 28 that then mandated TCAS.

Wasn’t one of the TRACONs allowing it for awhile here, IAH maybe? Can’t remember which one. Seem to vaguely remember something about that.
Yes, it was IAH and HOU, but just for departures. They would actually tell you to increase speed as soon as possible.

Interestingly enough, it's 320 KIAS below 8,000 for the XR but it is 250 for the LR and presumably the earlier versions. I wonder if there's no speed limit above 8,000 in Brazil instead of 10,000.

Checked out the Embraer Legacy limitations and thought it was interesting, same as the XR

1614993200846.png

Interestingly enough, it's 320 KIAS below 8,000 for the XR but it is 250 for the LR and presumably the earlier versions. I wonder if there's no speed limit above 8,000 in Brazil instead of 10,000.
Re birdstrikes: Wonder if it's because the XRs have PPG windshields while some(?) of the LRs still have the old style sierracin ones

Re birdstrikes: Wonder if it's because the XRs have PPG windshields while some(?) of the LRs still have the old style sierracin ones

Seems likely. The Falcons (and I think the Hawkers, too) had a similar limitation, and it was explicitly (like in the AFM, I think) for birdstrike protection.

I seem to remember at least one airplane I flew was limited to 250 indicated at and below 8,000' MSL specifically because of this, but this is also likely lost in effluvia.

Joining final outside the FAF and on the barber pole at 248 KIAS because we could...ahhh...those were the days.

Crying in King Air

Just remember your beginning in a SE piston and ...vvvvv

Seems likely. The Falcons (and I think the Hawkers, too) had a similar limitation, and it was explicitly (like in the AFM, I think) for birdstrike protection.

Add 2 to your “HOT 5 (or 7)” and place the windscreen heats to NORM on line-up. Same reason.

No, earlier.

Sadly, the PSA accident wasn't the one that required TCAS. It was 8 yrs later after the Cerritos (LA) midair collision in 1986 of an Aeromexico DC9 and a Piper 28 that then mandated TCAS.

Just a mode C (which is what I thought) or TCAS?

There are ways to exceed 250KIAS below 10,000 in an N registered airplane.

The trick is being more than 12nm off shore in international airspace.

Back