Crash in Las Cruces, NM kills 4

The company was extremely shady. I interviewed for this position and passed on it. Both EMS and Amigos are bottom of the barrel operators.

Why would they have fueled in Las Cruces after just departing from El Paso? No way it happened in El Paso and they got it all the way to Las Cruces, landed, and then departed again. I know the source and he's still in company cheerleader mode. My guess is they tanked an engine down low and VMC/stalled it in. Hot, high, heavy, and one engine. Not a recipe for success in a 421.

The company was extremely shady. I interviewed for this position and passed on it. Both EMS and Amigos are bottom of the barrel operators.

Of course only Air Methods has the perfect safety record of any air medical transport company ever. Please, continue dancing on the graves of the ones lost in this accident. It's classy as usual.

Why would they have fueled in Las Cruces after just departing from El Paso? No way it happened in El Paso and they got it all the way to Las Cruces, landed, and then departed again. I know the source and he's still in company cheerleader mode. My guess is they tanked an engine down low and VMC/stalled it in. Hot, high, heavy, and one engine. Not a recipe for success in a 421.

As you have already read in this thread, the pilot flying that night was an exemplary pilot. He had just started his shift, had plenty of rest the day before. I never met the guy but everyone tells me he was a great person to be around. This leaves very little doubt that he tried to do everything in his power to land the airplane after a complete power loss.

So, How exactly would you know all this? Are all these years as an accident investigator finally paying off? Are you in the know with NTSB or FAA? Wow, way to armchair quarterback this one. When company officials leave the accident scene after talking with federal government agencies and they came to the conclusion that the airplane was mis-fueled, you tend to believe them rather than place blame on the pilot regardless.

You know, I apologize if there was something I did to piss you off, but you really need to get off your high horse. You don't network well when you show the world what kind of pompous ass you are when talking about an accident you don't have any idea how it happened or what caused it. I gave up posting here mostly because of arguing with people like you. I came back to post a job opening, which of course, you tried to crap on the company there as well. But now I can see that it's pointless.

Show me where I bashed the pilot or danced on their grave? I just have massive amounts of doubt behind your wrong fuel story. I'm doing nothing more than you are which is speculating.

I still stand by the fact that EMS, Amigos, and that chief pilot of yours if he is still there is bottom of the barrel scummy and dangerous.

This theory is wrong. I know for 100% fact. I live where this happened and the aviation community is small. And yes based of reports and preliminary info he was in the process of doing everything needed to save the crew.

This guy was one of the most sought after pilots/instructors in the area. He was good. He choose this company so he could be home with his family.

Show me where I bashed the pilot or danced on their grave? I just have massive amounts of doubt behind your wrong fuel story. I'm doing nothing more than you are which is speculating.

I still stand by the fact that EMS, Amigos, and that chief pilot of yours if he is still there is bottom of the barrel scummy and dangerous.
Ldt72.gif

You truly are a piece of work.

Right I'm the piece of work. I'll say again, who just put that image in his coworkers thread? Classy...

I'm sure the dude was a great guy and who knows what could have happened. My point is we're all just speculating at this point including yourself Keith.

An engine failure low in a twin piston is about as bad as it gets. Any one of us could be in that crater. Hopefully the FAA gets to the bottom of it ad whether or not your companies policies caused this accident I hope they get exposed.

RIP

The PIC was one of my students back when. Taught him instruments, did not do his ME but gave him his 310 check out. Also gave him aerobatic, spin and TW training.
When people on this board say he was an outstanding, level headed pilot and great guy they are spot on. He was one of the best students I ever had and mature for his age.
He knew the area (grew up in ELP), was familiar with high DA ops.
We won't know for at least a week, probably longer, what happened. I know from experience that it might well have been pilot error, but the eye witness reports I read (crashed next to a LEO shooting range), are that it hit rightside up but then caught a sand berm, flipped over and burst into flames.
I also know this guy would have sacrificed his life to save his pax.
RIP Freddy. Fly west and save me a cold one. No more check rides.

Last edited:
I gave up posting here mostly because of arguing with people like you. I came back to post a job opening, which of course, you tried to crap on the company there as well. But now I can see that it's pointless.
I know it must be really rough when something like this happens and people on boards try to argue with you about it, but don't let it get to you, dude. You know damn well that this site is what you make of it. It's how I met you and thanks to you I'm a PPL. Don't waste time on people that piss you off on the internet, but I don't think you should dodge the site just because of the few who get under your skin. There's an ignore function for that. Hope you stick around man.

Let's see... NTSB is just starting its investigation but in this thread the pilot, FBO and operator have all been thrown under the bus by anonymous individuals with no insight into the investigation.

I call it, "Expert-itis." Defined as the need to display one's cleverness on subjects about which little is known or incidents for which insufficient reliable information is available.

Synonyms: Speculation; opinion; supposition; conjecture. Usually followed by extreme embarrassment or outright denial once the facts become known or, on rare occasions, gloating when the subject displaying expert-itis lucks out and manages to get one right despite the odds.

Read the comment section of almost any news story with a technical bent for myriad examples. MAS370 and MAS17 readily come to mind.

Was this one of their King Airs? I don't see how misfueling it would cause it to even hiccup.

Edit: Ah, was a 421.

Last edited:
Sounds like a case of confirmation bias both on the part of the fueler who assumed he was fueling a turboprop in spite of the "100LL" placard that would be present by the fuel caps, and by the pilot who may have been present and signed for the fuel yet somehow missed the "Jet-A".

What should give every pilot pause is that, as pointed out in previous posts, this pilot was no chump. I helped him get his first non-CFI commercial job flying a privately owned, brand new Barron. The last time I spoke to him on the phone we discussed the option he had of going on to a regional job he was offered. He chose instead to put his family first over possible long term financial gain and stayed put. He was not only a great stick, but a true student of aviation who was constantly in the books and trying to learn how to be a better pilot.

Slow down out there. I see this confirmation bias on a regular basis with FO's- you do the same thing over and over, assume this flight is the same, and miss possible life threatening changes such as briefing "if we lose an engine it will be a standard straight out departure" when there is a SE ODP.

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/features...ause-deadly-las-cruces-plane-crash-6368.shtml
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20140827X25654&key=1

Last edited:
I call it, "Expert-itis." Defined as the need to display one's cleverness on subjects about which little is known or incidents for which insufficient reliable information is available.

Synonyms: Speculation; opinion; supposition; conjecture. Usually followed by extreme embarrassment or outright denial once the facts become known or, on rare occasions, gloating when the subject displaying expert-itis lucks out and manages to get one right despite the odds.

Read the comment section of almost any news story with a technical bent for myriad examples. MAS370 and MAS17 readily come to mind.
We are all guilty of it from time to time.

Back