COVID Infection Rate, Pilots Vs Flight Attendants

Death and destruction is positively hilarious.

Wait, no, it isn’t.

New stay-home orders, coming soon to a pisant red state nearest you.

I don’t know...I think Abbott may have given control back to the counties and mandated masks in time to avoid the need for another shut down. He’s taken a lot of heat from local Republican groups (my county’s judge is bat• crazy) for it too.

I honestly think that in a state that’s as sparsely populated as Texas, masks and not being complete idiots would be 90% of the solution.

I don’t know...I think Abbott may have given control back to the counties and mandated masks in time to avoid the need for another shut down. He’s taken a lot of heat from local Republican groups (my county’s judge is bat• crazy) for it too.

I honestly think that in a state that’s as sparsely populated as Texas, masks and not being complete idiots would be 90% of the solution.
it’s called Tex-Ass which I can totally say here for a reason

When nobody's happy, it's probably a good compromise.

That seems optimistic. Everywhere else that had an outbreak this size was shutting down at or before this point. Even with those measures the “tail” of the epidemic was long. What it will look like with lesser measures, well, looks like y’all are the experiment.

I'm not, Doug. You are. You were well aware of what your post would elicit from everyone here.
Sooooo reading through some shared data, something piques my interest about infection rates amongst various employee groups and I wonder, “why is that?” You’re free to offer your perspective, or not, but wrote:

Oh look, yet another thread where mask fetishists are going to pat themselves on the back for being so smart and caring. Joy.

...as your first response.

It appears you turned up the Nest Thermostat to 90F and complained about the heat.

You could have participated in a cogent conversation.

Sooooo reading through some shared data, something piques my interest about infection rates amongst various employee groups and I wonder, “why is that?” You’re free to offer your perspective, or not, but wrote:

It appears you turned up the Nest Thermostat to 90F and complained about the heat.

The "cogent conversation" ship had already sailed. Look at the posts that preceded mine. Others had already turned the heat up to 150F. I'm just the guy who said "gee, kinda crazy to crank the thermostat up that high on purpose."

Says... you.

Me, I‘m still curious as to why the cabin crew that has way more exposure has a lower infection rate than the cockpit. Can I ask that question on my own website? :)

To be clear, I'm not blaming you for the direction the conversation went (although I think you probably knew it would go there). I'm blaming those who took it there.

Says... you.

Me, I‘m still curious as to why the cabin crew that has way more exposure has a lower infection rate than the cockpit. Can I ask that question on my own website? :)

I wonder if air circulation patterns on certain aircraft have anything to do with it. I know on the CRJ you could smell what kind of lotion the flight attendant was applying while strapped to the jumpseat on approach. Maybe some planes rapidly move the funk forward into the cockpit.

I wonder if air circulation patterns on certain aircraft have anything to do with it. I know on the CRJ you could smell what kind of lotion the flight attendant was applying while strapped to the jumpseat on approach. Maybe some planes rapidly move the funk forward into the cockpit.

Perhaps. I remember on the 330, when someone would drop a deuce in the forward lavatory, it’d vent in the cockpit.

I know the flow patterns are from the top to the under-seat area in the passenger cabin, there’s supposed to be more flow in the cockpit for potential smoke evac but I really don’t know if that’s impactful.

I wish there was a way that we could trace points of infection. Is it work, is it home? Behavioral? There’s pilot social media circle that’s complaining about their doctor demanding a 14-day quarantine before entering his practice for non-emergency elective visits if you’ve been traveling. A lot of people are saying “just lie/say no”, whereas I’ve been without molars for flipping seven months because I actually follow my Endodontists guidelines.

Perhaps. I remember on the 330, when someone would drop a deuce in the forward lavatory, it’d vent in the cockpit.

I know the flow patterns are from the top to the under-seat area in the passenger cabin, there’s supposed to be more flow in the cockpit for potential smoke evac but I really don’t know if that’s impactful.

I wish there was a way that we could trace points of infection. Is it work, is it home? Behavioral? There’s pilot social media circle that’s complaining about their doctor demanding a 14-day quarantine before entering his practice for non-emergency elective visits if you’ve been traveling. A lot of people are saying “just lie/say no”, whereas I’ve been without molars for flipping seven months because I actually follow my Endodontists guidelines.

I bet a lot of it too is that we're sitting so close to each other for hours at a time, mashing the same buttons. Really unavoidable. Flight attendants on the commute flights I've seen have been pretty good at social distancing. Ours yesterday straight up went to the back of the airplane and sat in the last row since the back of the airplane was empty.

Todd, remember why you went on Facebook hiatus, lets not create an environment here which you ran away from there.

Its a rhetorical question to spark discussion, not a blank canvas to emote.
Emote you say?
8392801C-8D7D-4B9A-8F1B-26C1199979E2.jpeg

Yup. Abbott’s mask mandate was a few weeks too late. As soon as the order went into effect, it seemed like mask usage went from ~50% to 90%+, with a couple expected stubborn Karen’s (I got shamed by one for wearing a mask). If this had been done a week early....I bet it could have saved 500 people. All for the cost of....um...I’m sure Todd will let us know.

We’re going to have a rough week or two, then new cases will drop, then hospitalizations and deaths will drop. Would have been nice a little sooner.

Edit: you’re right Todd, this is pretty funny!
It’s a tale of two cities for the most part. In Dallas the entire time everyone’s been wearing masks. I’m at the lake house in Gun Barrel City right now and people aren’t wearing masks for the most part. They didn’t before Abbott made it mandatory either.

At AA pilots and Flight attendants have proportionately the same infection rate. For anyone at AA listen to the podcast push to talk on aapilots and they discuss the numbers.
Either the other airline cleans the cockpits better, or the pilots don't drink the airplane coffee and rob themselves of the valuable immune boost

First: I’m not defending Todd.
First part 2: You have made fun of and ridiculed those who have posted info from blogs, and rightly so. However, you don’t get to sit upon high and proclaim a “cogent conversation” and get pissy about some known member being vastly opposed to your already established point of view.

You can’t have a “cogent conversation” without providing a real source.
This is exactly the conversation you get, when you posted in post #1.
And for the love of Pete, I’m not defending Todd.

Back