Considering leaving the profession for good, could use advice

From what I read it’s flying 2 weeks of night flying in Europe on the Z.

Those exist, but Z does all kinds of things. From Euro hub-turns (which a lot of guys love, I don't see the attraction, myself) to week-long Asia trips, to Z-Mestic out and backs. It's the most varied fleet we have, AFAICT.

Yep. Redeye to the east coast, day sleep, fly back to Vegas. Then go to the crashpad to sleep, then do it again.
This sounds absolutely horrible. I saw a captains schedule that was the same thing with a turn tacked into the end of it. Nothjng but the same one back to back over again for the entire month.

This sounds absolutely horrible. I saw a captains schedule that was the same thing with a turn tacked into the end of it. Nothjng but the same one back to back over again for the entire month.
I don't mind redeyes, I actually kind of enjoy them. But I need variety in my life. So it was that or day trips. Which are worse, and either force you to buy a car or Uber. And Uber in Vegas can be stupid expensive.

I don't mind redeyes, I actually kind of enjoy them. But I need variety in my life. So it was that or day trips. Which are worse, and either force you to buy a car or Uber. And Uber in Vegas can be stupid expensive.

I'm the same - I don't mind redeyes but after doing them for a solid month, I wanted some variety.

And landings. I needed more landings.

I'm starting this month with a redeye, and we've got this weird 4-day that has basic turns with an overnight, and then a 2 day redeye tacked on from ABQ.

On the plus side, I did snag a 30-hour PWM overnight this month. That should be fun.

I'm the same - I don't mind redeyes but after doing them for a solid month, I wanted some variety.

I'm starting this month with a redeye, and we've got this weird 4-day that has basic turns with an overnight, and then a 2 day redeye tacked on from ABQ.

On the plus side, I did snag a 30-hour PWM overnight this month. That should be fun.
I always enjoyed the trips that started with a redeye, then bounced around the east coast or Midwest, then returned to base.

That's a great layover, I'm jealous. I've only had a relatively short one where we left in the afternoon so I couldn't enjoy any of the local beer with my lobster roll.

Yeah, I'd really like to plan something fun for that one since I don't get layovers like that very often.

I always enjoyed the trips that started with a redeye, then bounced around the east coast or Midwest, then returned to base.

Ours are almost always transcons, so just two legs. This tacking one on has been an experiment. One version of it had LGA-ATL turns all day, overnight in ATL, return to JFK next day and then ABQ redeye. That was, I think, a bloody disaster because LGA and ATL....There's a couple of other versions of it which may be better.

Yep. Redeye to the east coast, day sleep, fly back to Vegas. Then go to the crashpad to sleep, then do it again.
That was my schedule for this month. 2 6 day blocks of it. I partly did it to myself because it gets the last 15 days of the month off. Then a 4 day popped up in open time so now the first 6 day block starts with a redeye, day sleep, and back but then I go on a 4 day with afternoon reports every day.

How do you not get landings on a NB jet, at your shop? I thought that on one trip as an example, you're PF and the next you're PM. Or if the other pilot doesn't GAF you can be PF as much as you want on the trip.

How do you not get landings on a NB jet, at your shop? I thought that on one trip as an example, you're PF and the next you're PM. Or if the other pilot doesn't GAF you can be PF as much as you want on the trip.

On those transcons, (think JFK-YVR, JFK-BUR, JFK-PHX, for example) you don't get *enough* landings. It's one leg out, overnight, one leg back. You log a LOT of flight time in cruise, but you don't get a lot of proficiency/landing practice. You basically get one landing per trip.

So for July, I bid away from all those redeyes (still flew some - they're not completely avoidable at my seniority) and did more north/south flying so I could get more legs/landings, and work on my proficiency with hand-flying stuff. :)

On those transcons, (think JFK-YVR, JFK-BUR, JFK-PHX, for example) you don't get *enough* landings. It's one leg out, overnight, one leg back. You log a LOT of flight time in cruise, but you don't get a lot of proficiency/landing practice. You basically get one landing per trip.

So for July, I bid away from all those redeyes (still flew some - they're not completely avoidable at my seniority) and did more north/south flying so I could get more legs/landings, and work on my proficiency with hand-flying stuff. :)
Yah, not optimal to have the new guys getting 6 landings a month and all at the end of 6 hours of staring out the window, when we would like to be building proficiency.

Back