Considering leaving the profession for good, could use advice

Yah, not optimal to have the new guys getting 6 landings a month and all at the end of 6 hours of staring out the window, when we would like to be building proficiency.

Try getting 1 landing a month!

I went 41 days from completion of OE to my first real flight. It went about how you might expect. If I’d been a 10 year veteran 121 pilot it might not have mattered. But I wasn’t. And I cringed over every CA having to deal with my inexperienced ass while I was trying to flatten that curve.

It’s better now but I will 100% own what staying at a regional for another 1000 hours would have bought me.

I think it’s SWA that builds a line for new hires immediately to get them flying and proficient. I’m a big fan of this idea.

I went 41 days from completion of OE to my first real flight. It went about how you might expect. If I’d been a 10 year veteran 121 pilot it might not have mattered. But I wasn’t. And I cringed over every CA having to deal with my inexperienced ass while I was trying to flatten that curve.

It’s better now but I will 100% own what staying at a regional for another 1000 hours would have bought me.

I think it’s SWA that builds a line for new hires immediately to get them flying and proficient. I’m a big fan of this idea.
seems like a good idea until they pull the trips out before the bid runs and the stuff you wanted to fly and could have held goes to a new hire

the better is having people call for consolidation trips. they get what they want and someone with seniority gets bought off and the time off

You know I love the triple. But I think that I remember @Screaming_Emu say that 1500 hours wonders beware. Because Atlas initial is a tough transition from CFI to 747/777.
Oh it is. It's a terrible training program. I hope it's getting better. I haven't seen many 1500 hour guys coming over lately, but there's a few. A lot of corporate guys lately.

When's the last time you two were PF?
Not asked but: I finally gave into the nagware pop-up (now temporarily bugging me about currency in two fleets, programming is fun) and got a landing in New Yawhk today. I think the last time before that was over 40 days ago; for various reasons the other pilots I was flying with needed to fly more than I did. It was fun, too. This thing is just absolutely frakking delightful to fly, with no bad habits noted. Makes me wish I did more of it, but working RP is fun too.

Speaking of. What @killbilly said above is pretty accurate too. Sheer experience grossly shortens the learning or re-learning curves, as applicable for the situation.

the better is having people call for consolidation trips. they get what they want and someone with seniority gets bought off and the time off
Those pilots should be preferentially assigned open time, if nothing else. (That’s in a book somewhere at Mormon West Airways Inc., too, and we called it the Minneapolis and Detroit rule when it was written by two very tired reserve CRJ captains [I was one of those who wrote it]).

Not asked but: I finally gave into the nagware pop-up (now temporarily bugging me about currency in two fleets, programming is fun) and got a landing in New Yawhk today. I think the last time before that was over 40 days ago; for various reasons the other pilots I was flying with needed to fly more than I did. It was fun, too. This thing is just absolutely frakking delightful to fly, with no bad habits noted. Makes me wish I did more of it, but working RP is fun too.

Speaking of. What @killbilly said above is pretty accurate too. Sheer experience grossly shortens the learning or re-learning curves, as applicable for the situation.

Those pilots should be preferentially assigned open time, if nothing else. (That’s in a book somewhere at Mormon West Airways Inc., too, and we called it the Minneapolis and Detroit rule when it was written by two very tired reserve CRJ captains [I was one of those who wrote it]).
Will you fly more on the 300?

I still feel like you have a leg up going from the 145 to the 220. One of my old FOs went from the Lear where you flare at 10’ to the 76 at atlas getting like 1 landing a month. I just don’t know how you get the sight picture and muscle memory down with that transition.

Those exist, but Z does all kinds of things. From Euro hub-turns (which a lot of guys love, I don't see the attraction, myself) to week-long Asia trips, to Z-Mestic out and backs. It's the most varied fleet we have, AFAICT.
Any day flying on the Z? The whale schedule I saw was not commuter friendly. 4 on 2 off 3 on 4 off.

Example:

Haha I am a total idiot. For some reason I thought it was a field of "modeling" (in the Hansel & Derek Zoolander sense) that somehow involved the environment? I need to read better :)

Back