Considering Ameriflight interview; could use some answers/input

Or maybe I'm the sucker for building up 4000 hours of piston time at all my great jobs, with no turbine time in sight. I don't know.

Nothing wrong with Piston time. I left AMF for my current job with effectively no turbine time. What my current employer wanted in terms of experience was specifically lots of single pilot Multi IFR. It's the first job where I don't worry about slow days walking the streets.

This. Which if I remember correctly from your previous posts was single engine time mostly right? Theres nothing wrong with that, but it depends on what you want to do. If you want to fly jets you are years behind the curve, if you are happy flying piston twins doing freight or small charter then awesome.

About 3200 of my time is in singles.

I couldn't care less about flying jets. I'll fly anything with wings if the pay and QOL is there. Although jets generally pay better, and more money is a goal of mine, so I suppose I'm wanting to fly jets, in a roundabout way.

I'm not miserable where I'm at, and I don't regret the path I've taken to get here. But I'm always looking for something better.

Meh, only the airlines care about such silly semantics.

5000/500 can get you on with an air ambulance operator with a kingair.

About 3200 of my time is in singles.

I couldn't care less about flying jets. I'll fly anything with wings if the pay and QOL is there. Although jets generally pay better, and more money is a goal of mine, so I suppose I'm wanting to fly jets, in a roundabout way.

I'm not miserable where I'm at, and I don't regret the path I've taken to get here. But I'm always looking for something better.

Thats all that matters I wasn't talking down to you because I think you have made wrong choices. My point was to illustrate why people come to AMF versus other places. I don't think there is anyone that comes here with the mindset of flying a 421 someday. Its to fly big jets, so the multi turbine PIC is key.

I don't know much about getting on with the airlines, but if you want to break into passenger turboprop/jet charter, I doubt there's a much better path than doing Multi-Turbine freight for a few years. Go straight to a charter operator that has King Airs and Jets, start in the King Air and next thing you know you'll be typed and flying PIC on a Citation, Hawker or something. Most have all pilots PIC qualified and you'll just swap legs. Get to know everyone at the airport and soon you'll be in demand for contract trips and likely offered a nice 91 gig. You can easily move into 135 management if you have the stomach for dealing with the Feds all day.

My understanding is the pilot flying during the accident was a recent new hire, not an FO, being trained by a training captain.

This is correct. The pilot flying was supposed to take a checkride the next day. He was in training and had never flown into that airport before. I'm not justifying any mistakes that were made by either pilot, but I did not appreciate some of the earlier comments (not made by you).

This is correct. The pilot flying was supposed to take a checkride the next day. He was in training and had never flown into that airport before. I'm not justifying any mistakes that were made by either pilot, but I did not appreciate some of the earlier comments (not made by you).
I think we talked over that accident back at the Skool O Flite. As I recall, for whatever reason neither pilot twisted the OBS at the VOR/FAF correct?

I think we talked over that accident back at the Skool O Flite. As I recall, for whatever reason neither pilot twisted the OBS at the VOR/FAF correct?

Yes, my understanding was that they continued outbound from the VOR on the same radial instead of making the turn.

Pardon the interruption. I just wanted to say that after much careful thought and consideration (and reading threads like this one), I submitted my application to AMF today. I am VERRRY excited to get a "big-boy" flying job! :) Thanks for the lively debates, it definitely helped me make my decision.

I can get an interview with IBC in So.Fl in the Metro as well..pay is only 200 bucks less per month than Ameriflight. Also will be based in P.R. and I think they have a company apartment. There's some savings there which would help get by with the pay. That's looking pretty attractive, since CVG at Ameriflight would mean I have to start paying someone rent.

My question now is, does anyone know if having gone through IBC in a Metro open up the same opportunities in the future as it appears those leaving Ameriflight have? I've got my interview with Ameriflight next month, but figure it doesn't hurt to try both places. Also, ,I've been around the Caribbean for while, so I know the weather there isn't like the kind of experience I'd get up north...is that a big deal?

I can get an interview with IBC in So.Fl in the Metro as well..pay is only 200 bucks less per month than Ameriflight. Also will be based in P.R. and I think they have a company apartment. There's some savings there which would help get by with the pay. That's looking pretty attractive, since CVG at Ameriflight would mean I have to start paying someone rent.

My question now is, does anyone know if having gone through IBC in a Metro open up the same opportunities in the future as it appears those leaving Ameriflight have? I've got my interview with Ameriflight next month, but figure it doesn't hurt to try both places. Also, ,I've been around the Caribbean for while, so I know the weather there isn't like the kind of experience I'd get up north...is that a big deal?
Honestly I don't think a metro specifically is opening any doors anywhere. There are very few metro/merlins flying outside of freight.... just about everything under the sun has pt6's, and the vast majority of turbo props for charter business etc are king air's. If anyone's getting jobs it's because they have turbine pic, spifr and networking skillz. Time in king air's or a 1900 is more portable.

Honestly I don't think a metro specifically is opening any doors anywhere. There are very few metro/merlins flying outside of freight.... just about everything under the sun has pt6's, and the vast majority of turbo props for charter business etc are king air's. If anyone's getting jobs it's because they have turbine pic, spifr and networking skillz. Time in king air's or a 1900 is more portable.

A turboprop is a turboprop.. Although with the close to common type 1900 time is looked at well by insurance companies with kingair 350's, but not something eaither way to loose sleep over.

A turboprop is a turboprop.. Although with the close to common type 1900 time is looked at well by insurance companies with kingair 350's, but not something eaither way to loose sleep over.
Ya, I was just pointing out it has nothing to do with the sa227.

I know quite a few of our buddies who left AMF headed over to the sandbox to fly metros. Making pretty good money doing it too.

Ya, I was just pointing out it has nothing to do with the sa227.
From a pilot standpoint the SA-227 has so far been an interesting experience. Other pilots and FBO people have been commenting about me flying the thing single pilot. I did a charter where all the previous cargo carriers using metros flew them two pilot. I have also gotten comments from major airline guys as well. I have to wonder if the Metro's reputation could land me a great job in the future.

From a pilot standpoint the SA-227 has so far been an interesting experience. Other pilots and FBO people have been commenting about me flying the thing single pilot. I did a charter where all the previous cargo carriers using metros flew them two pilot. I have also gotten comments from major airline guys as well. I have to wonder if the Metro's reputation could land me a great job in the future.

When you go into an interview and if your interviewer has been around aviation for any length of time and sees that you fly a Metroliner, they will know that you can fly. Now it's just a matter of them liking you and you selling yourself.

Back