Collision Avoidance

romank

I have recently started taking flight lessons, and one of the things that worries me is the size of the blind spots on GA aircraft.

The text book essentially says: "Just keep scanning the windshield" Given that there is a possibility of someone descending or climbing into you, or that you descend or climb into someone else, I don't think it's enough to just scan the wind shield.

Apart from following all the rules/suggestions (such as 45 degree downwind entry) and using proper radio communications, is there anything else that I can do?

Couple of thing that I already know:

-in a high wing aircraft it's a good idea to raise the wing prior to turning

-long final should be checked while on base leg

-left and right should be periodically checked even when straight and level

- Make S-turns while climbing. (Is it adequate? Should I do the same while descending?)

- Request flight following when possible

And, a couple of things that I came up with on my own: (not sure if the following actually works, please let me know)

- Avoid prolonged climbs or descends in the same direction

- Make slight heading changes while en route

- Avoid initiating a climb or a descend without changing your heading.

- Make clearing turns every time you get close to an airport. (Is that practical?)

Again, the questions I have:

Is there anything else that can be used to increase the effectiveness of "seeing and avoiding"? (primarily for avoiding aircraft above and below you)

Are the techniques that I have listed of any real use?

Thanks in advance!

You got it! Stay interactive with your total environment - including the part over and under you! ...and welcome to the 'swivel neck' club!

If money is no factor then install TCAS in your airplane. Depending on your location you could pick up flight following as often as possible. Other than that... stay alert, always look out the windows, and keep your head on a swivel.

I've always been able to get flight following on CC trips - I wouldn't fly anywhere without requesting it. Doesn't mean you don't have to scan - but it sure gives you greater piece of mind knowing someone else is watching too.

I'm not sure how practical the climbing S-turns and clearing turns around an airport are - in many cases you'll need to fly straight in or in a tight pattern for traffic control at airports. And the climbing S-turns just seem like a waste.

In any case, good for you on being aware of this stuff.

Very unlikely you'll end up in a mid-air, but the regular scan should be fine. Clearing turns before any maneuver are fine, in the pattern, just have a good lookout.

It's all about :sitaware:

Be particularly vigilant of places where traffic may converge like VORs. Be extra careful flying around and into uncontrolled airfields and busy practice areas. However, regardless of where you are flying, always be looking for traffic.

If you are still uncomfortable with that, get an airplane with TIS/TCAS as subpilot mentioned. But bear in mind that TIS/TCAS won't detect the ultralight airplane with no transponder or radio flying near you. It's still your job to see and avoid.

I don't like ultralights! Nothing against the make or builders but most of the pilots that fly them are not that intelligent. There was one that was doing 360's on the end of an runway about 100 AGL over the numbers at an uncontrolled airport.

A) Don't get all airshow trying to clear your blindspots...causes more trouble than it solves. B) The rest sounds good...sure, you could get extraordinarily unlucky and catch the golden bb, but you could get hit crossing the street, too. Flying is all about mitigating and minimizing risk. Follow the AIM, that way everyone is playing from the same sheet of music. For example, if you're climbing enroute and you're zigzagging like you're avoiding a torpedo, I will shake my fist at you. Works better when everyone's doing the same thing. C) Enjoy yourself. Flying is fun. Don't spend your time freaking out about what "might happen". You'll be fine. Or you won't, and then you won't be around to come back and post on this thread proving me to be a jerk. ;)

A) Don't get all airshow trying to clear your blindspots...causes more trouble than it solves. B) The rest sounds good...sure, you could get extraordinarily unlucky and catch the golden bb, but you could get hit crossing the street, too. Flying is all about mitigating and minimizing risk. Follow the AIM, that way everyone is playing from the same sheet of music. For example, if you're climbing enroute and you're zigzagging like you're avoiding a torpedo, I will shake my fist at you. Works better when everyone's doing the same thing. C) Enjoy yourself. Flying is fun. Don't spend your time freaking out about what "might happen". You'll be fine. Or you won't, and then you won't be around to come back and post on this thread proving me to be a jerk. ;)

:yeahthat: Well said. I was thinking turning while climbing and clearing turns before entering the pattern were a bit much, and might even hurt you rather than help. Either way, good for you for being aware, just keep your eyes open that's all. Oh yeah and like Boris said, enjoy yourself, Your training will come back to you when/if you need it, no need to be paranoid 100% of the time.

Get flight following if able.

Seriously just this last trip ATC advised us of a Mooney passing 500 feet above us from our 8 o'clock and faster traffic on our 6 overtaking us at our altitude.

No way would we have ever seen that traffic if it wasn't for ATC.

Most traffic issues will make themselves known with a basic scan. It took me a while to loosen up and realize that, if someone gets in your path you will have plenty of time to deviate. Bottom line is, the scan works, trust it. Also fly your altitudes even+500 going west, and odd+500 going east. Also,talk on the radio, you don't have to sound like a pro, just let em know where you are at. :rawk:

Get flight following if able.

Seriously just this last trip ATC advised us of a Mooney passing 500 feet above us from our 8 o'clock and faster traffic on our 6 overtaking us at our altitude.

No way would we have ever seen that traffic if it wasn't for ATC.

I recently had a glider come around the practice area and I never would have seen it unless ATC said something. They are so much harder to see until they bank .

Most traffic issues will make themselves known with a basic scan. It took me a while to loosen up and realize that, if someone gets in your path you will have plenty of time to deviate. Bottom line is, the scan works, trust it. Also fly your altitudes even+500 going west, and odd+500 going east. Also,talk on the radio, you don't have to sound like a pro, just let em know where you are at. :rawk:

Trust me, a normal scan and altitude will not always give you the time you need to maneuver. I have heard the words "traffic alert" too many times to know that.

Then remember that some aircraft are specifically painted to be hard to detect. Such as the F-15's/16's/18's. IF they have the gray ghost paint scheme they will be extremely hard to see. Flight following is the best way to assist you. Just remember where you are compared to where you want to go. If you go through some MOA's ATC will let you know when they are HOT or COLD so you can pay extra attention.

Then remember that some aircraft are specifically painted to be hard to detect. Such as the F-15's/16's/18's. IF they have the gray ghost paint scheme they will be extremely hard to see.

I saw a Learjet with that color scheme, it was registered to some company in California. It looked BA.

Back