Cockpit View of Idaho Plane Crash

Ya, those are contributing factors for sure. Did he just forget, or(like at my flight school) was the mixture full rich for takeoff regardless of ANYTHING!

"ZOMG, you leaned the mixture a little!!!! THE ENGINE IS GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I hate when bad information is spread especially when I used to do mountain instruction.

So getting pissy at me is going to help things, how? I've spent the majority of my flying time doing XC's between AZ, CO, NM, UT, and CA. I needed to get schooled up on mountain flying, and I did that. Outside of my other instruction. So, if I passed bad gouge, based on what I was taught, forgive me.

Mountain wave is the updraft and downdraft continuing many hundreds of miles from the ridge. A simple one movement up or down is a referred to as an updraft or downdraft in the mountain flying arena. Yes, I am a CFI, although not teaching much anymore. I suggest you read this before you embarrass yourself further. http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/aim0705.html#aim0705.html.3 Also if you really want to know about mountain flying Sparky had some good books. http://www.mountainflying.com/

Thanks for the links, and these were shared with me when I went through the mountain flying instruction that I went through.

So you are taking a meteorological question and applying it to mountain flying?

Really? That's what you think I did? That was my point? That's cool, bro. o_O

Ya, those are contributing factors for sure. Did he just forget, or(like at my flight school) was the mixture full rich for takeoff regardless of ANYTHING!
My biggest pet peeve! There was one pilot that I was doing a checkout for that said to get full power you needed full rich all the time. :bang: I enjoy proving people wrong with little experiments.

My biggest pet peeve! There was one pilot that I was doing a checkout for that said to get full power you needed full rich all the time. :bang: I enjoy proving people wrong with little experiments.
Hahaha, tell him you need to be stoichiometric(or actually just a touch on the rich side) all the time and watch him look at you like you're speaking Swahili.

So getting pissy at me is going to help things, how? I've spent the majority of my flying time doing XC's between AZ, CO, NM, UT, and CA. I needed to get schooled up on mountain flying, and I did that. Outside of my other instruction. So, if I passed bad gouge, based on what I was taught, forgive me.

I don't think I was 'pissy' that just must be the way you interpret what I wrote. You would be amazed at how many times I would have people quoting stuff from aviation forums as gospel. I figure I might as well nip it in the bud before it blossoms into full blown crap. The scary thing is they taught you this in mountain flying. Hopefully you just misinterpreted the information they gave you.

Really? That's what you think I did? That was my point? That's cool, bro. o_O
Yes, we are talking about some meteorological things like wind, but I'm not sure how the stages of a thunderstorm fit in with mountain air currents.

GREEN_LLAMA_by_BananaDesu.gif

It is incomplete, at best. Mountain wave is a condition of very strong updrafts and downdrafts that continue in a steady state leeward of a peak or ridge, caused by certain conditions but almost always involving a strong wind at the peaks and high-pressure air. It can extend many miles, or hundreds of miles, downrange. You can actually pick it out on satellite pretty well, if you know what to look for. Glider pilots love it... power pilots, not so much.

You can think of ripples in a fast-moving creek caused by a submerged log that you can't see, and you'll get the idea.

A downdraft is just a descending air mass -- its cause is not part of its definition. Conditions experienced in the mountains can very much be classified into updrafts and downdrafts, as well as sideways drafts and, where the wind is blowing hard enough I swear to goodness "inside-out" drafts. The wind does amazing things. Picture again turbulent flow of a flooded creek, and you get the idea. (Is there anything that water analogies CAN'T solve? The world wonders)

~Fox

Wealth of info. Thanks for being so thorough.

I don't think I was 'pissy' that just must be the way you interpret what I wrote. You would be amazed at how many times I would have people quoting stuff from aviation forums as gospel. I figure I might as well nip it in the bud before it blossoms into full blown crap. The scary thing is they taught you this in mountain flying. Hopefully you just misinterpreted the information they gave you.

What the hell does skies have to do with a downdraft?
Yep. Got hung up on "pissy", here.

I've been known to misinterpret things from time to time. See above? My bad.

Hahaha, tell him you need to be stoichiometric(or actually just a touch on the rich side) all the time and watch him look at you like you're speaking Swahili.
Haha

I could just yell, "You are adding to much reagent to the ratio!" That would really throw him.

It is incomplete, at best. Mountain wave is a condition of very strong updrafts and downdrafts that continue in a steady state leeward of a peak or ridge, caused by certain conditions but almost always involving a strong wind at the peaks and high-pressure air. It can extend many miles, or hundreds of miles, downrange. You can actually pick it out on satellite pretty well, if you know what to look for. Glider pilots love it... power pilots, not so much.

~Fox
Well, this power pilot loves verticle winds. Coming out of HII Lake Havasu I caught the edge of rising air. I sharply circled to gain 4,500 in minutes! Free power! When flying tourists in Lake Powell I would alternately hug the canyon walls according to wind direction or speed. I tried relating that to the other pilots but mostly I got puzzled looks or like I was trying to pull something over on them. Sad stuff bro.

Back