Cockpit View of Idaho Plane Crash

Isn't it typically cooler over trees? Prob had to do with them simply being close and him increasing back pressure just enough to start a nice slow mush downward.
It is cooler over trees. Unfortunately these trees were mostly dead and don't provide much shade and therefore cooling to the earths surface. The cooling is usually felt the most over deciduous or dense fir forest. When you start flying over pine trees they are like flying over open land.

WacoFan is going to be ticked. Wrecking a Stinson... This guy is bad for tailwheel pilots everywhere.

Downdraft with clear skies? Commercial newbie here says, "NOPE."

This is a solemn reminder of how much non-flying passengers put their lives in our hands. They trust that we know what we are doing, and know what the plane is capable, or incapable, of.

That's what I got out of it.

Yeah, not a down draft. Been there, done that and I was like "WTF IS HAPPENING?!?" I was going down and couldn't do anything about it. Worst feeling in my life and my ~800 hours of flight time.

I suspect only a rare few people wake up and think, Today I am going to be a dumbass. That said, perhaps being so focused on the goal (takeoff) made the pilot oblivious to other telltales that he would be unsuccessful to achieving the intended goal. Oh I'm sure there are other factors which lead to such a increased risk but whatever manner, they all lead to the same corner of the box.

WacoFan is going to be ticked. Wrecking a Stinson... This guy is bad for tailwheel pilots everywhere.

What the hell does skies have to do with a downdraft?

In the most basic definition of the word which the non-pilot used it, downdraft could be true. He was not talking about a microburst, just a decending air mass that could have pushed the airplane down. Have you ever flown on the leeward side of a ridge on a clear, windy day? I think that could be classified as a downdraft to a non-pilot

I'm not saying that is what happened since it seems pretty clear what did happen from the footage.

I suspect only a rare few people wake up and think, Today I am going to be a dumbass. That said, perhaps being so focused on the goal (takeoff) made the pilot oblivious to other telltales that he would be unsuccessful to achieving the intended goal. Oh I'm sure there are other factors which lead to such a increased risk but whatever manner, they all lead to the same corner of the box.

I find it inexcusable. His airplane, and 2 non-flying people on board.

Do the equivalent thing in a car (pick a scenario), and he is what he is, a dumbass. Why is this situation any different? There are so many takeaways from this, and I thank him for that, but he's still a dumbass. If I do the same thing, and end up killing myself, you can call me what I am, as well. #keepinitrealzyo

Yeah, not a down draft. Been there, done that and I was like "WTF IS HAPPENING?!?" I was going down and couldn't do anything about it. Worst feeling in my life and my ~800 hours of flight time.
Don't ever fly the rockies(or western US) in a small plane then. Downdrafts are part of flying, and if you couldn't do anything about it, then it's your fault. The only way you can't do anything about it is if you put yourself in a situation with no outs to begin with and approached the area in a not so smart way.

Ban hammer!

Unknown-1.jpeg

I thought I told you boy, ya cain't touch this.

What the hell does skies have to do with a downdraft?

In the most basic definition of the word which the non-pilot used it, downdraft could be true. He was not talking about a microburst, just a decending air mass that could have pushed the airplane down. Have you ever flown on the leeward side of a ridge on a clear, windy day? I think that could be classified as a downdraft to a non-pilot

I'm not saying that is what happened since it seems pretty clear what did happen from the footage.

Why you mad, bro? We're just talking.

What does a sky have to do with a downdraft? I don't even understand the question. But, tell me where the NTSB says that the passenger is a non-rated person. It said "passenger", nothing more, nothing less. Winds coming over a ridge on the leeward side of a mountain are known as mountain waves, not downdrafts. You're a CFI?

From the CSEL Written: A downdraft is a sign that a thunderstorm is in what stage?
A. Dissipating
B. Mature
C. Developing

If you're not taking a position with the downdraft being a contributing factor, why would you get your knickers in knots about it?

GX, I agree. My contention was that even the qualified make errors. We have a plethora (jefe, what is a plethora?) of examples of that. I am not excusing what happened here. Every flight, whether ours or another's, is a learning moment. One can decide to accept the challenge of such a flight. Obversely, they can wholly decide to avoid such conditions (mountainous terrain/high DA). To me, the former is more profitable.

Back