Club Furlough

No involuntary furloughs at Alaska.

Yep...great day for a lot of us. Enough people took all the different leaves, voluntary furloughs, and job shares to save everyone (including me at the bottom.)

31 warn letters went out to the 88 dispatchers, and yesterday before everyone bid for the leave options, the companies number to furlough was 18, but the group collectively saved everyone without a pay cut to boot.

Yep...great day for a lot of us. Enough people took all the different leaves, voluntary furloughs, and job shares to save everyone (including me at the bottom.)

31 warn letters went out to the 88 dispatchers, and yesterday before everyone bid for the leave options, the companies number to furlough was 18, but the group collectively saved everyone without a pay cut to boot.
Great job Alaska!

The big picture question remains why does Alaska, Delta, Southwest, Jetblue, Spirit all want or need payroll protection money after they have all found ways to keep from furloughing most if not all their employees? It is essentially a form of defrauding the taxpayers for them to be claiming publicly that they need the money to keep everyone employed when they have all done enough to keep most if not everyone employed.

The big picture question remains why does Alaska, Delta, Southwest, Jetblue, Spirit all want or need payroll protection money after they have all found ways to keep from furloughing most if not all their employees? It is essentially a form of defrauding the taxpayers for them to be claiming publicly that they need the money to keep everyone employed when they have all done enough to keep most if not everyone employed.

I would imagine every little bit helps right now to make it through the winter and hopefully a vaccine being developed and some traffic rebounding next year. Although you do have a good point. I know Southwest decided not to pursue a secured government loan, I believe because they felt they could get better terms if they needed to borrow the money - and they are in a relatively strong cash position since they had a lot of cash earmarked to purchase the 737 MAX aircraft that are still in limbo.

Allegiant avoiding dispatch furloughs with voluntary short term leave.

Did they even issue their dispatchers WARN letters? Dispatch wasn’t on the list included with the letter they sent, just management positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voluntary leaves of absence, job sharing, and whatever other initiatives have been taken, do not solve the basic problem of a drastic and unforeseen loss of revenue. If passenger traffic does not rebound, there WILL be layoffs, company downsizing, and closures. The loss of revenue was caused, at least in part, by the ongoing draconian, and ever-tightening, restrictions imposed by Big Government, aided and abetted by the Big Media's constant drumbeat of Chinavirus fear-mongering and doom-saying. So while I agree there is taxpayer defrauding going on, I'm not convinced it's being done by the airlines.

Voluntary leaves of absence, job sharing, and whatever other initiatives have been taken, do not solve the basic problem of a drastic and unforeseen loss of revenue. If passenger traffic does not rebound, there WILL be layoffs, company downsizing, and closures. The loss of revenue was caused, at least in part, by the ongoing draconian, and ever-tightening, restrictions imposed by Big Government, aided and abetted by the Big Media's constant drumbeat of Chinavirus fear-mongering and doom-saying. So while I agree there is taxpayer defrauding going on, I'm not convinced it's being done by the airlines.

So you think Delta should take bail out money to keep jobs through March when they already have concessions to keep employees safe we’ll beyond that?

The backwards ass propaganda you continue to spew is fascinating, albeit scary that someone making rational decisions effecting public safety continues to believe it.

The big Picture question is why AA and UA are the only major airlines furloughing. Don't knock DL SW B6 AS for finding ways to save Money their employees. AA and UA had the opportunity to take paycuts and save their fellow dispatchers but choose not to.

The big Picture question is why AA and UA are the only major airlines furloughing. Don't knock DL SW B6 AS for finding ways to save Money their employees. AA and UA had the opportunity to take paycuts and save their fellow dispatchers but choose not to.

I wouldn't put everything on the remaining dispatchers at AA/UA. In order to save everyone from being furloughed at UA, it would have required everyone to take a 45% pay cut. Obviously that's kind of an extreme amount to expect people to volunteer for. Certainly, if there had been more retirements or participation in volunteering for reduced hours by the AA/UA dispatchers, more positions could have been saved, but in my opinion a bigger question is why those particular companies felt the need to furlough so many people, and why they didn't offer more generous early out/hourly reduction plans.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put everything on the remaining dispatchers at AA/UA. In order to save everyone from being furloughed at UA, it would have required everyone to take a 45% pay cut. Obviously that's kind of an extreme amount to expect people to volunteer for. Certainly, if there had been more participation in volunteering for reduced hours, more positions could have been saved, but in my opinion a bigger question is why those particular companies felt the need to furlough so many people, and why they didn't offer a more generous early out/retirement plan.

Can’t speak to Spirit (or really to B6, either) but the ones that got enough leaves, retirements, concessions, etc are also the ones that actually seem to give a damn about their employees beyond their productivity on a spreadsheet. For me this has been the perfect example of why you should care about your employees, they’re going to be more willing to work with you when times are bad, compared to bitter, abused employees.

Can’t speak to Spirit (or really to B6, either) but the ones that got enough leaves, retirements, concessions, etc are also the ones that actually seem to give a damn about their employees beyond their productivity on a spreadsheet. For me this has been the perfect example of why you should care about your employees, they’re going to be more willing to work with you when times are bad, compared to bitter, abused employees.

Hard to disagree with that. I’d say it’s pretty common knowledge that those two majors are at the bottom of the barrel in a lot of categories for employees and customers alike.

There’s a reason the Costco’s and Google’s of the world are where they are, and a lot of it is how they take care of their own.

AA’s vloa options shortest length was over a year.
Had to be at step 6 before any partial pay came into play, and it was hilariously low.
It’s been pretty grim.

AA’s vloa options shortest length was over a year.
Had to be at step 6 before any partial pay came into play, and it was hilariously low.
It’s been pretty grim.
I have heard some at AA are already salivating about all the OT that starts Oct 2nd...sad.

Back