Club Furlough

Well let’s hope there aren’t any green and/or new “deals” made anytime soon.

maybe we can convince musk to take some of these new deal creators/supporters to mars with him and he can create all the hyperloop tunnels he wants there and they can tax each other into prosperity while at the same time somehow make everything free.

Cool the jets here people. No need for the personal attacks.
Imagine believing not standing firm againist a voluntary hour reduction, no change to contract, during the worst economic crisis since the great depression will hurt your future contract. Its absurd. Boomers!!

Last edited:
Well let’s hope there aren’t any green and/or new “deals” made anytime soon.

maybe we can convince musk to take some of these new deal creators/supporters to mars with him and he can create all the hyperloop tunnels he wants there and they can tax each other into prosperity while at the same time somehow make everything free.

You realize if he’s taxing them it’s not free right?

So many people seem to forget that taxes pay for services we all use. We can’t just cut taxes indefinitely and still have a fire department, schools, or a post office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You realize if he’s taxing them it’s not free right?

So many people seem to forget that taxes pay for services we all use. We can’t just cut taxes indefinitely and still have a fire department, schools, or a post office.

You realize you’re trying to argue about something that’s not real right?

That’s because USPS isn’t a business, it’s a service.

Do we expect NASA or the CDC to turn a profit?

You could say the same thing about airlines. Quite clearly politicians, airline management and the unions don't believe any of the airlines are a sustainable business and all must be subsidized to maintain employment and destinations served.

Anyone heard of some shops using the probationary period as a workaround to get rid of the unfortunate new-ish hires without having to call it a furlough?

Anyone heard of some shops using the probationary period as a workaround to get rid of the unfortunate new-ish hires without having to call it a furlough?
I don't know that I would call it a workaround. That's what the probationary period is for.

To answer your question, yes, I've known people who have not made it through their probationary period.

To be clear, I’m not talking about specific individuals not making through probation. I’m talking about a full ‘washout’ as in all probationary employees being let go.

United notices went out today....furloughing 155 dispatchers. Over 35% of the seniority list. Unless they do a CARES act extension, which seems doubtful right now...
Damn shame. I have a lot of friends at UA and they’re all pretty junior.

You gonna be alright man?

Last edited:
To be clear, I’m not talking about specific individuals not making through probation. I’m talking about a full ‘washout’ as in all probationary employees being let go.

What happens to probationary dispatchers typically depends on your airline's contract, if you have one. I know of one union shop that has successfully signed an LOA with the airline to extend furlough with recall rights to their probationary dispatchers. Prior to the LOA they were set to be terminated
without prejudice.

United notices went out today....furloughing 155 dispatchers. Over 35% of the seniority list. Unless they do a CARES act extension, which seems doubtful right now...
I like to ponder the road not traveled.

How far back does that go with regard to date of hire?

Back