Club Furlough

Sorry but no one has a responsibility to do anything outside of their CBA. You may want people to be more engaged but ultimately it’s up to them.
So who has the responsibility to step up and negotiate for their fellow dispatchers when the time comes? It's interesting to me that the majority of regional dispatchers have this "the union doesn't do anything" attitude yet they quickly run to their union when they are the person in need of representation or have a CBA related issue. The unions at the majors have done well for themselves by sticking together and pulling together. Your CBA is only the document that controls your salary among other things... Not that that's a big deal or anything apparently. Not your responsibility though I guess to worry about your paycheck and quality of life at work. Got it.

So who has the responsibility to step up and negotiate for their fellow dispatchers when the time comes? It's interesting to me that the majority of regional dispatchers have this "the union doesn't do anything" attitude yet they quickly run to their union when they are the person in need of representation or have a CBA related issue. The unions at the majors have done well for themselves by sticking together and pulling together. Your CBA is only the document that controls your salary among other things... Not that that's a big deal or anything apparently. Not your responsibility though I guess to worry about your paycheck and quality of life at work. Got it.

The union shouldn’t be a revolving door like most regionals are. There’s something to be said for having senior guys at regionals running the union there. You don’t want to see new shop stewards every six months who are having to relearn the job over and over and over. That only benefits the company.

The union shouldn’t be a revolving door like most regionals are. There’s something to be said for having senior guys at regionals running the union there. You don’t want to see new shop stewards every six months who are having to relearn the job over and over and over. That only benefits the company.
You also don't want the senior regional guys doing it based on my experience. LOL. It's a good place to learn union business while learning dispatch. That's how I viewed it.

You also don't want the senior regional guys doing it based on my experience. LOL. It's a good place to learn union business while learning dispatch. That's how I viewed it.
You DONT want the senior folks doing union work why? Don’t they have a lot of experience in terms of the company as well as dispatch?

You need a balance, but yes, I know what who’swho means about the lifers that are still there. Some want to be, and are great resources, and then there’s the ones he was referring to....

Sometimes the senior regional dispatchers are senior for a reason. It has a lot to do with an inability to be hired at the major level.
Do you mean personality wise or skill wise? We can all dispatch regional jets but is there much of a difference to dispatching a 73 or 75 from say Florida to Texas or LAX.

Sometimes the senior regional dispatchers are senior for a reason. It has a lot to do with an inability to be hired at the major level.
You need a balance, but yes, I know what who’swho means about the lifers that are still there. Some want to be, and are great resources, and then there’s the ones he was referring to....
Some (not just in dispatch but various depts) have a "King **** of Turd Mountain" attitude where they either settled for staying there or couldn't hack it when they tried to leave, so they lord it over the junior guys who are just getting started. There would have to be discernment between which senior guys actually want to be there and which ones are bitter that they have to be.

In my experience, it's hard to even get people to talk about unions at all in regionals, like everyone is demoralized or something. At the end of the day it seems like there's only so far you can negotiate at a regional because of how the flow of the industry works. The higher-ups in regionals know that most people have to go through them first if they ever want to make it to a major, and the majors help preserve that perception with their own hiring expectations. Some go years without publicly posting for dispatch because they almost exclusively hire internal. Kind of boggles my mind that such an essential part of the operation, one that's require by regulation to boot, is treated that way.

It's all the more reason for regional dispatchers to get serious about union organizing, but the time for that was before all this happened... Now the damage is done. Maybe I'm just too pessimistic.

It will all depend on how long the public panic drags on. I think there will be some lag time after everything else is opened back up before people start wanting to fly again
Reuters has an article out today saying air travel surged 15 times after Beijing relaxed quarantine rules. Searches on travel and hotel sites quadrupled. We'll see how the US responds when our time comes, but it's a good sign.

Here is a link to the full thing if anybody wants to read it. Travellers rejoice, flight bookings surge as China's capital relaxes curbs

Reuters has an article out today saying air travel surged 15 times after Beijing relaxed quarantine rules. Searches on travel and hotel sites quadrupled. We'll see how the US responds when our time comes, but it's a good sign.

Here is a link to the full thing if anybody wants to read it. Travellers rejoice, flight bookings surge as China's capital relaxes curbs
It was already reported somewhere that people have been searching trips in the US something like 4x more than normal. There’s no doubt that we’ll see a spike, the question is when.

Disney, and Vegas have missed out on spring break, and summer is basically here for parts of the country, so I’m sure many people have trips planned, or booked (myself included, though flights are now an issue) that they really want to take.

But that being said, I don’t see Disney being back to normal any time soon.

I feel like everyone in air travel is using Disney as the barometer for when things will be on the upcurve in terms of load factors and pax demand.

I think its a good judge of when things are actually safe. You know people will be ridiculously quick to sue disney because of the dollar signs in their eyes, so when Disney opens, that SHOULD be a good sign.

Wanted to comment that there is a thread on the Flight Dispatch subreddit if y'all want to be a bit more unrestrained. And also, anyone want to sublet an apartment in Indy? I have one that just became available...

Wanted to comment that there is a thread on the Flight Dispatch subreddit if y'all want to be a bit more unrestrained. And also, anyone want to sublet an apartment in Indy? I have one that just became available...
Theres a flight dispatch subreddit? :confused2:

Back