Club Furlough

Unbelievable... RPA posted a video promoting their flight training school (AKA new hire pilot factory) the very same day that they fuloughed a third of dispatch. Tone-deaf. Video comments disabled of course, cowards.

Unbelievable... RPA posted a video promoting their flight training school (AKA new hire pilot factory) the very same day that they fuloughed a third of dispatch. Tone-deaf. Video comments disabled of course, cowards.

Yikes.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

I know a lot of people who are regional lifers, and it has nothing to do with an inability to move on. My former QX teammates are perfect examples of this. They're an extremely competent group that were happy where they were. They had a job that they liked in a place they wanted to live. The vast majority had been there for 15 years or more. Then the move to SEA was announced...

Major partners always seem to think things will work better, more smoothly if they have the regional parters "in house" for some reason. When I was at ZW, UAL management evidently told our boss it would be "ideal" if we could have one of our coordinators working daily in Chicago at the United NOC. After everyone present at the meeting simultaneously started bringing up reasons why this was a bad/unworkable idea, it was never brought up to us again. I feel like the same mindset is why Alaska decided to move Horizon's NOC to Seattle. Of course, in their case, they owned both companies so the people in PDX were the ones who got hosed.

I think every regional has had those conversations, I know YX has, but I think the problem was two fold. Our director is a POS control freak, and the other is cost.

If you work for an airline where there are dispatchers that are on involuntary furlough, do not pick up overtime work. If the phone rings, don't answer it. When dispatchers are on involuntary furlough, those dispatchers should be the ones covering open desks.
Too bad you will always have that guy...

In my experience, airlines have a mandatory overtime policy. Open shifts get covered with existing staff. Your only real choice is volunteer for the shift you want, or get drafted for the shift you don't.

Mandatory overtime is more expensive at my company, so there would be a cost incentive for the company to recall furlough employees and pay the normal rate vs pay almost double to a person involuntarily assigned.

I know a lot of people who are regional lifers, and it has nothing to do with an inability to move on. My former QX teammates are perfect examples of this. They're an extremely competent group that were happy where they were. They had a job that they liked in a place they wanted to live. The vast majority had been there for 15 years or more. Then the move to SEA was announced...
As a former QX employee for just over four years (although not a dispatcher) I personally thought that was where I was going to spend the rest of my life. It was by far the best job I have ever had with some of the best people to work with.

The problem with the regionals is that most new dispatchers see it as simply a bus stop on the way to the big time. The problem with that mindset is that the bus can break down at any minute and wou WILL be stuck on the corner in the crappy part of town until the bus is fixed. You might as well make the best of it while you are there. The people who willfully make it CLEAR that they are at a regional just because they "have to be" are by in large pretty • dispatchers and pretty • people.

. The people who willfully make it CLEAR that they are at a regional just because they "have to be" are by in large pretty • dispatchers and pretty • people.

Man there is a lot wrong with this statement. Clearly we come from very different places. I paid my dues at a regional, but I never planned for a minute to make it a life long career there. If anyone had asked for my career goals I would have (and often did) say it was purely a stepping stone. I got out of the regional to a major; not because I was owed anything, but because I’m a damn fine dispatcher.

As a former QX employee for just over four years (although not a dispatcher) I personally thought that was where I was going to spend the rest of my life. It was by far the best job I have ever had with some of the best people to work with.

The problem with the regionals is that most new dispatchers see it as simply a bus stop on the way to the big time. The problem with that mindset is that the bus can break down at any minute and wou WILL be stuck on the corner in the crappy part of town until the bus is fixed. You might as well make the best of it while you are there. The people who willfully make it CLEAR that they are at a regional just because they "have to be" are by in large pretty • dispatchers and pretty • people.
So all major/ULCC dispatchers are horrible dispatchers and horrible people? Not following your logic

Man there is a lot wrong with this statement. Clearly we come from very different places. I paid my dues at a regional, but I never planned for a minute to make it a life long career there. If anyone had asked for my career goals I would have (and often did) say it was purely a stepping stone. I got out of the regional to a major; not because I was owed anything, but because I’m a damn fine dispatcher.
Not to mention that, again, the industry as a whole is pretty much intentionally structured so that you do "have to" put in your time at a regional. It's not like you can waltz into a major and give the hiring manager a firm handshake and get hired without doing that first. And again, why would anybody settle for regional pay long term when most of the regionals don't even pay half of what the majors pay?

You are basically put in the position of working for the majors "by proxy." You're operating flights under their branding via codeshare agreement, because the big guys don't want to operate the additional aircraft to cover those regional routes and pay their own staff to do it. Not saying I necessarily blame them for that, but if you're going to have this arrangement where newer people are put in a holding tank and given crap pay for a couple years as a condition of ever getting to the "real money," nobody should be surprised that people aim to get out ASAP. What else can reasonably be expected of them?

I remember my first day at a regional the manager who hired us all of went around the room and asked us which airline we hoped to work at in the future. It was really awkward for me. I have never worked for a company that understood everybody coming in was mostly going to leave and fast as they possibly could.

Yeah. “Where do you see yourself in 5 years” becomes really awkward when asked at a regional airline interview. Every instinct in your body is telling you not to say “anywhere but here.”

It was not only ok, but expected that we had goals to get out of my regional and on with a major. I had one member of management say “I would think there might be something wrong with you if you did not want to move on to a major.”

are there some good regional lifers? Sure.

are there some really lazy and crappy ones also? Absolutely.

does it make one an entitled crappy person to aspire to get out as fast as possible to a major? Definitely not.

No, but it's pretty arrogant to assume that incompetence is the reason some people have careers at regionals.
Sometimes it certainly is incompetence. While that may be the outlier; I can think of a few dispatchers who have tried throughout their career to rise and simply weren’t able too.

Back