Club Furlough

People should remember this well if/when things return to normal... Don't forget this kind of thing when you see your airline blowing money on frivolous garbage.
NO SHIRT!!! If we really want to buy into the absurd currently advanced idea that it's "every man for himself", then we all better start demanding transparency and responsibility of our employers and we all better start actually saving our own money.
I'm pretty sure no one on this board is a billionaire. I'm pretty sure most on this board aren't even centi-millionaires (you know, the entitled, self-indulgent biatch who owns your part 91 aircraft). By and large, those people don't care about you.

The "old-normal" everyone is wistfully yearning for? That old normal was theirs, not ours. Those tax breaks, special bail-out programs, and every-day garden-variety government subsidies? Those belonged, belong, and (without folks like us waking up and taking action) will belong to them, not us.

But, hey! Go ahead and yearn for the glorious "great America" of yore, or even for the recent, pre-Covid America of 3 months ago. Wasn't it wonderful to be able to assuage your nagging fears and enervating sense of insecurity by shopping, conversationally eliciting vague 401k promises, and other shiny-shiny distractions?

Last edited by a moderator:
A Republic dispatcher informed me that they did receive government grant money, but they are still allowed to furlough up to 10% of all positions. They furloughed more than 10% of the dispatch group, but as far as company layoffs overall, they are complying with the grant stipulations.

October is going to be an ugly month for this industry. Plus, it's my birthday month. Yay.
I think the 10% part is for the loans portion only. The grants come with the requirement that there are no furloughs period.

I think the 10% part is for the loans portion only. The grants come with the requirement that there are no furloughs period.
Either way, try auditing ANY OF IT... Go ahead, punk! Make my day! Do yah feel lucky??? Well?

Last edited by a moderator:
The "old-normal" everyone is wistfully yearning for? That old normal was theirs, not ours. Those tax breaks, special bail-out programs, and every-day garden-variety government subsidies? Those belonged, belong, and (without folks like us waking up and taking action) will belong to them, not us
Hard agree. Operational control personnel should have and should be fighting for our rights as workers much harder than we do. It feels like there is no solidarity, not even at a time like this when so many of us are being given the boot. It's not like they can just replace us overnight.

When demand is high, we have much more leverage than many of us seem to realize. If we fought half as hard as crew unions do we would get the respect we deserve. This whole thing should be a lesson to everyone to call out bad management, bad allocation of resources, etc.

Unfortunately that wake up call is coming at a time when they have the leverage and can justify basically anything by pointing to corona

Sorry to hear to you folks at the Brickyard. Yes, I'm up late. It's the new normal when your spring bid scheduled until June will be nuked....whenever....And a new bid pack goes out.....
Whenever.

Can't wait for normalcy.

What rights have/are you being denied?
We simply don't get the same consideration crew members do. Their unions actually fight for them and get them all kinds of protections that we in flight control largely don't have. I have heard of tons of waste at various companies regarding crew member apprehensions about the rona, including booking individual ubers for individual crew members because of "social distancing" and similar nonsense. Crews and their unions get paid leave, burn money like it's going out of style, and who gets laid off and furloughed? Flight control.

We simply don't get the same consideration crew members do. Their unions actually fight for them and get them all kinds of protections that we in flight control largely don't have. I have heard of tons of waste at various companies regarding crew member apprehensions about the rona, including booking individual ubers for individual crew members because of "social distancing" and similar nonsense. Crews and their unions get paid leave, burn money like it's going out of style, and who gets laid off and furloughed? Flight control.
Join a union and fight equally as hard for your rights.

The unions outside of the majors are a joke
That's because the union members all sit back and can't be bothered to lift a finger. You know why the unions at the majors are more successful? Because they work hard to be that way. Every union member has a responsibility to step up and do there part. When that happens you'd be amazed at what can get done.

That's because the union members all sit back and can't be bothered to lift a finger. You know why the unions at the majors are more successful? Because they work hard to be that way. Every union member has a responsibility to step up and do there part. When that happens you'd be amazed at what can get done.
That's really what I'm saying, the bit about solidarity and all that. Republic dispatchers are telling me that they never received any real advance notice that the furlough was coming, but it makes me wonder how involved they were. If you give your employer breathing room to screw you, they're going to do it. But there's a responsibility on the part of union representatives to reach out to their members as well. From what I can gather, TWU was very hands off when it came to Republic. I don't know the full story since I am not on the inside in this case, but it sounds like nobody really cared and that's a huge problem. What I do know is that many regionals secured the federal money a while ago and YX dispatchers are telling me they still don't know the story when it comes to YX getting the money.

That's really what I'm saying, the bit about solidarity and all that. Republic dispatchers are telling me that they never received any real advance notice that the furlough was coming, but it makes me wonder how involved they were. If you give your employer breathing room to screw you, they're going to do it. But there's a responsibility on the part of union representatives to reach out to their members as well. From what I can gather, TWU was very hands off when it came to Republic. I don't know the full story since I am not on the inside in this case, but it sounds like nobody really cared and that's a huge problem. What I do know is that many regionals secured the federal money a while ago and YX dispatchers are telling me they still don't know the story when it comes to YX getting the money.
I've heard of issues with that specific TWU local. There are reasons why Spirit left for PAFCA.

So, is your complaint about the "tons of waste" on flight crew, or the lack of waste on flight control?

I think the point he was trying to make, if I can re-phrase some of it, is the mind set when it comes to SOC vs cockpit/in flight crews.

In flight and Cockpit crews were able to get furlough mitigation in their contract. They won’t even look at something like that for Dispatch.

In flight and Cockpit were able to get paid LOA that still keeps them making more than a full time dispatcher.

Dispatch hasn’t been able to get anything at or near the same terms as cockpit and in flight, and last I checked, the line is out the door to become a flight attendant.

I’ve always felt that all the regionals should partner up and become their own local within pafca or TWU or wherever. Because let’s be honest- when regionals are in locals with major airlines they will always get the short end of the stick. They simply don’t generate enough income in dues for the locals to prioritize their needs. Plus- the large majority of people in regionals are actively trying to leave. So it’s hard to get participation.

Plus- the large majority of people in regionals are actively trying to leave.
People seem to treat the regionals as glorified training centers where they can get experience, and the higher-ups help ensure things stay that way by maintaining the low pay. Why would anyone want to stay when they are basically just putting in their time until a major will give them the time of day? It's a shame because there are a lot of good people at regionals and regional operations are so important to the industry as a whole. The problem is they aren't treated like that's the case

I’ve always felt that all the regionals should partner up and become their own local within pafca or TWU or wherever. Because let’s be honest- when regionals are in locals with major airlines they will always get the short end of the stick. They simply don’t generate enough income in dues for the locals to prioritize their needs. Plus- the large majority of people in regionals are actively trying to leave. So it’s hard to get participation.
The biggest problem is that most regional dispatchers view their job as temporary so they don't feel a need to participate in the union. What they are missing out on though is using that opportunity to become involved in learning the ins/outs of how a union can work for them and their role in the union, after all their dream job is most likely a union job.

Sorry but no one has a responsibility to do anything outside of their CBA. You may want people to be more engaged but ultimately it’s up to them.

Back