Child Free Airlines...

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Discuss it amongst yesselfs...

Caveat: I'm not advocating this at all, I just found it an interesting read on my union's forum:

Where Can I Find a Child-free Airline?

Aug. 28, 2007

Dear Untourist Reader,

You probably saw the recent commotion about the mother and motor-mouth toddler evicted from a Continental flight from Houston to Atlanta. My sympathies were all for the flight attendant.

Finding an airline gate swarming with families and their monstrous regiments of strollers makes my heart sink. Grumpy toddlers. Babies with more lung power than an opera diva. Whining munchkins with mini-backpacks and sugar-pink cases.

Watching some Princess Barbie type hurtle around like a dervish, stress levels start climbing. While her Mom gazes bovinely into space or chatters on a cellphone, Barbie takes the inevitable tumble and batters my calves with that pink case. Yet the real concern is where these families will get seated. Given the choice, I’d rather be wedged in the middle seat between a Norwegian drunk and a Japanese Sumo wrestler. Not beside, behind, or in front of young children.

--- Advertisement ---

Never pay tourist prices again when you travel.

Whether your next trip is your first or your hundredth, you can be the person who is "in the know" when it comes to grabbing the very best bargain airfares… the rental car upgrades at no additional cost… even hotel rates so good that the hotel's reservation staff doesn't always know about them.

Put years… and thousands of miles… of travel savvy at your fingertips right now. And never travel like a tourist - or pay tourist prices - again.

Learn more here.

Of course, you can’t choose your seat companions. Courtesy of selfish/inept parents and their obnoxious offspring, I often endure the indignities of everything from spilled drinks to pulled hair, curious fingers (invariably sticky) and the stench of unchanged diapers. The endless moans and screams could easily be a soundtrack to Dante’s Inferno.

I’m not saying all families are anti-social. Far from it. But there are enough spoiled brats around to make air travel miserable.

Sure, you've paid the same fare as me, and it’s your civil right to travel. But what about my rights? I don’t want to play peek-a-boo with your malodorous baby. Or trade infantile chat with your toddler. And I’m only mopping up the liquid mess that Jimmy the Troll has made over the seat-back tray to stop it dripping on my clothing.

Frankly, I’m tired of excuses that babies can’t help bawling because the cabin pressure makes their ears hurt. So why subject them to pain and suffering? Seems that regardless of a child’s well-being, some Want-It-All parents are determined to take vacations that involve lengthy flights.

Then there’s the constant seat-back-kicking. You say you can’t prevent little Bethany (thanks to her loudmouth brother, the entire plane knows her name is Bethany) from assaulting the back of my seat. If you try restraining her, she’ll explode into a full-blown tantrum.

Being forced to endure other people’s feral children at close quarters makes me understand the concept of air rage. Truly, I am not psychopathic. Yet on a recent flight to Chicago, I entertained Nurse Ratchet fantasies of stuffing one seat-back-kicker into a straitjacket, covering his mouth with duct tape, then stowing the brat in the overhead bin.

Having flown all over Asia and the Middle East, I’d say allowing kids to annoy strangers seems a mostly western phenomenon. While there have been crying babies aboard at times, I’ve never witnessed Asian children running amok.

Incidentally, I do know what it’s like to rear a child. But if my daughter misbehaved, she got spanked. And going back a generation, so did I. Yes, that was the antique ‘‘Keep still, keep quiet and don’t pester other people’’ age. But is teaching children basic manners now seen as interfering with a freedom to do whatever they choose?

Apart from chartering a private jet, I can’t offer any solution. Happily, your entire vacation doesn’t have to be ruined by half-pint hooligans racing through hotel corridors--or urinating in what the brochure promised was an adults-only pool.

Child-free environments aren’t confined to all-inclusive Caribbean and Mexico resorts targeting honeymooners. Ever considered Costa Rica? If you enjoy beaches, wildlife, forest--and no kids--take a look at www.gaiahr.com. The Hotel Gaia and Reserve recently won the CondeNast/Johansen award for "Most Excellent Hotel." Room rates start at $250 per night.

With views of islands and the Aegean Sea, the upmarket Sun Rocks Hotel on the Greek island of Santorini is also a child-free zone. Depending on season, doubles are from $272-326 per night.

To add balance to this diatribe, www.best-family-beach-vacations.com lists resorts and hotels designed for parents who insist on traveling with babies and toddlers. (Also very useful if you prefer to avoid them.)

Beyond the beaches? Well, one place in Austria I won't be checking into is the Kinder (Children’s) Hotel in the Tyrolean village of St. Zeno. You might call it family-friendly. I’d call it the stuff of nightmares.

Baby swimming and massage, a petting farm, activity clubs for various age groups, a "fun court" with a purpose-built castle to besiege. Open year-round, it has single and double rooms with additional child beds. Full board adult rates (with lots of extras) start at $95. Under-twos are accommodated free. Depending on age, older children pay $23 to $44.

But returning to my original gripe. The day when airlines offer me child-free flights can’t happen soon enough. Until then, I suggest families with young children should be quarantined together in a sound-proofed, smell-proofed section of the plane.

Georgina Adams
The Untourist

I'm pretty dang sure EOS is childfree. . .or atleast I'd hope so if I'm paying for a seat on a 757 with only 48 seats. I don't want to hear any crying.

I'm praying for the day that there will be "child-free" flights.

I will pay twice the airfare.

Either that, or airlines need a policy of "If there's ONE complain about your child, you're banned from EVER flying on that airline again". I could go for that!

We also need old people free airlines too. They take freakin' ever to board and deplane. Seriously I missed a connection once cause it took an elderly couple in wheelchairs entirely too long to get their arses in the plane.

And they smell!

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:
gotta be fair to everyone, too bad if some kinds of people bug you

Yeah, that's cool . . . I'd fly that airline, too.

I'd rather smell 100 old people, and wait 17 hours to deplane, than listen one loud baby for even 5 minutes.

Oh man that would be great - when the misses and I were getting on a recent air tran flight, we noticed that the couple next to us, whose kid was screaming his head off, were in the same row. The damn kid screamed the ENTIRE F'N FLIGHT - including a 30 minute ground stop before departure, and 45 minutes waiting for a gate. About halfway through the flight we noticed that there was a dog whining from somewhere. When the couple finally got off the plane, we realized that the same couple with the child from hell, also had the whining dog. Drive next time F'ers!

Hey, I think I was the one who suggested someone start up a no-kids airline! If there's a market for it, go for it! (No sarcasm, I think it would be an interesting start up!)

Until then, if you want a guarantee of no kids on your plane, call NetJets :D

I'd love to not have leery businessmen on my flights. You know, the ones who sit there all important and talk really loud on their cell phones at every opportunity they can. Making sure everyone around them knows JUST how important they are. Seriously, for every person, there is a "type" of person they find irritating. I find obnoxiuos businessmen who stare at my boobs and try to impress me with their importance annoying, some people find crying babies annoying. Whatever.

I am all for resorts that do not allow kids. I'm also all for resorts that cater to kids! Sandals Resorts and Beaches Resorts are two such places, one of them is couples only, and one is for familes. (I can't remember now which is which....)

(As a parent, I do notice other people's obnoxious kids too. Sadly, there ARE some parents out there who just don't give a hoot about how their kids behave in public. I can only teach my kids to behave the way I think they should.)

Have to laugh a little reading these responses to the post. "One complaint about your children and you're banned, no children under 13, no businessmen that fly with their eyes open, I'd pay twice as much for a child free flight"...........too funny. Hate to break it to ya but you cattle drivers out there survival depends on the families (some of which..........have children), the businessman trying to get somewhere, and older people going to visit family or going on vacation. Without them, your ever decreasing salary, QOL, and retirement would go from crappy to zero.

Hmmmm.......we were all children at one point and maybe even had an off day or two as a child. I don't condone the parents that sit on their arse and do nothing...........that to me is worse than the kids, in fact it's a direct reflection on poor parenting when kids are outta control. But remove the people you've all mentioned and you've removed the need for your jobs.

Max

there was one good suggestion on a post though - if you don't want to be bothered by any of that stuff - go rent a private jet for your travels.

Have to laugh a little reading these responses to the post. "One complaint about your children and you're banned, no children under 13, no businessmen that fly with their eyes open, I'd pay twice as much for a child free flight"...........too funny. Hate to break it to ya but you cattle drivers out there survival depends on the families (some of which..........have children), the businessman trying to get somewhere, and older people going to visit family or going on vacation. Without them, your ever decreasing salary, QOL, and retirement would go from crappy to zero.

Hmmmm.......we were all children at one point and maybe even had an off day or two as a child. I don't condone the parents that sit on their arse and do nothing...........that to me is worse than the kids, in fact it's a direct reflection on poor parenting when kids are outta control. But remove the people you've all mentioned and you've removed the need for your jobs.

I think you missed most of the point of my post. I was not in any way saying that leering businessmen shouldn't be allowed on flights. I said they annoyed me. Same as crying babies annoy some people! My point was that if you're going to fly the mass airlines, there is a chance you may have to have to put up with a "type" of person that annoys you. Either deal with it, or call NetJets! (Or start up that no-kid airline!)

I was in the Northwest business class lounge in Tokyo 3 days ago and this couple just let their two little brats literally scream and run around the entire lounge. The funny thing was, the Japanese people just went on and acted like nothing was happening, while all the American people (including myself) were sending the mom and dad death stares. Thank god I had my MP3 player and free booze.

I think you missed most of the point of my post. I was not in any way saying that leering businessmen shouldn't be allowed on flights. I said they annoyed me. Same as crying babies annoy some people! My point was that if you're going to fly the mass airlines, there is a chance you may have to have to put up with a "type" of person that annoys you. Either deal with it, or call NetJets! (Or start up that no-kid airline!)

I understood your point - I wouldn't want leering businessmen or really anyone for that matter staring at me either. But you hit the nail on the head. If you're riding in a cattle train - not all the cattle are going to be perfect angels all the time.

Cheers:)

Max

I'm praying for the day that there will be "child-free" flights.

I will pay twice the airfare.

Either that, or airlines need a policy of "If there's ONE complain about your child, you're banned from EVER flying on that airline again". I could go for that!

Lloyd, that little boy from your former avatar is going to come find you, and give you a pinch, and a kick to your shin!

The best form of birth control is to see parent(s) struggling with toddlers in tow traveling.

Makes me want to quit having sex.

The best was on the Expressway visual into LGA when the toddler decided he needed to use the bathroom.

Lloyd, that little boy from your former avatar is going to come find you, and give you a pinch, and a kick to your shin!

:D:D
smallhead.jpg

I don't know about the rest of y'all but whenever there is a thread with something about childrearing in it, I dig through it on pins and needles, not being able to wait for Lloyd's comments!! :D I love it!! Almost reminds me of my dear grandfather, and, sometimes, my own father! :)

Back