Challenger 300 Turbulence Death - Prelim Released

Well that clearly changes everything
Are you seriously trying to make this some kind of Matt Damon “fortune favors the bold” nonsense?

No. But it is a seniority system. That's the downside. You can be a Masters, PHD, 3 space shuttle landings, test pilot, etc, but if you start one week later than John Doe, you'll always be junior to John. It is what it is.

No, you freaking dunderhead, it wasn’t.

Actually, it was. You could have gone Priv/Inst/Comm/ME, and then done Gulfstream or jetU.

In the early-mid 2000’s? No, commercial and CFI certs didn’t cost $27k.

That cost, and the opportunity costs as well (time and seniority).

Wait, you actually are trying to frame this as you taking some huge risk and it paying off. With your parents money.

*My money. I was told I was insane to be walking away from my engineering job with nothing in hand, to do a 4-month course with no guarantee at the end. It was actually a huge gamble.

Ok, so you’re you’re trying to play the political victim card now?

Look, as @Boris Badenov said, probably most of us have had assistance from our parents—whether it was financial, academic, merely being present and supportive—and we’re a product of how they’ve helped us.

I don’t think anyone would “consider that a sin” to help our kids out.

So... what's your problem if a father helped a son out in aviation?

You think the kids these days like Swayne or Fly with Garrett with his Eagle FO BMW X5 made it all by themselves with no parental help? Get real.

Swayne, love him or hate him, has a big following and is probably stacking some cheddar independently of the airline business.

Outspoken opinionated Gulfstream guy comes to the defense of outspoken opinionated JetU guy. Sounds about right. Brothers in arms
Dad paid for my job
I still denigrate others
Watch me laugh, bitches

With the proviso that a lot of us probably got *some* degree of assistance that isn't available to *everyone*: My dude, you are on fire, eject!

Don't worry, the 121 carriers didn't want CC either.

He went to Virgin when no one sane was going to Virgin and then got acquired by AAG.

Otherwise he'd be on the street busking with a broke-assed guitar with a change cup.

Outspoken opinionated Gulfstream guy comes to the defense of outspoken opinionated JetU guy. Sounds about right. Brothers in arms
God damn

You completely bypassed the normal process of getting experience before stepping in a 121 cockpit.

You ridicule the idea of people of color being hired with minimum qualifications because of their lineage, while you did *exactly that*.

And you have the audacity to come on here and ridicule an entire segment of US aviation for its lack of standards?

I’ll put it this way: I would put my family on one of my company’s corporate jets long before I put them on a plane you’re flying because I know from experience what’s learned in the first 1-2k hrs…and you paid to skip that because of whatever reason.

And I’d put my family on a plane piloted by Jack Roush before I’d be ok with them in the back of a CRJ with the captain giving instruction to a 300hr FO whose parents paid for their seat.
I lost you at "Jack Roush".:)

LOUD NOISES!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I LOVE LAMP!
brick-tamland.gif

ac998576e18cd290917c23b4c63e38a0.jpg

Preliminary report for the initially reported “turbulence fatality” from earlier this month just released. Turns out, nothing to do with turbulence and a lot more going on than was initially believed (shocker).

“The flight crew reported that around 6,000 ft, they observed multiple EICAS caution messages. The crew recalled EICAS messages of ‘AP STAB TRIM FAIL’ [autopilot stabilizer trim failure] ‘MACH TRIM FAIL’ and ‘AP HOLDING NOSE DOWN’. Neither crewmember could recall exactly what order the EICAS messages were presented. They also reported that additional EICAS messages may have been annunciated.

The PIC asked the SIC to refer to the quick reference handbook. The SIC, via an electronic flight bag (iPad), located the quick reference card and the ‘PRI STAB TRIM FAIL’ [Primary Stabilizer Trim Failure] checklist. The SIC visually showed the PIC the checklist, and they both agreed to execute the checklist. The first action on the checklist was to move the stabilizer trim switch (‘STAB TRIM’), located on the center console, from ‘PRI’ (Primary) to ‘OFF.’ The SIC read the checklist item aloud and he subsequently moved the switch to off.

As soon as the switch position was moved, the airplane abruptly pitched up. The PIC reported that his left hand was on the flight controls and his right hand was guarding the right side of the flight controls. He immediately with both hands regained control of the airplane in what he estimated to be a few seconds after the airplane’s pitch oscillated up and down. During the oscillations, the PIC instructed the SIC to move the stabilizer trim switch back to the primary position, which the SIC accomplished.

The airplane immediately pitched up to about 11° and reached a vertical acceleration of about +3.8g. The airplane subsequently entered a negative vertical acceleration to about -2.3g. The airplane pitched up again to about 20° and a vertical acceleration of +4.2g was recorded. The stall protection stick pusher activated during this pitch up; subsequently, vertical acceleration lowered to about +2.2g which was followed by a cutout of FDR data.”

All of this occurring after an initial aborted takeoff due to a pitot cover-induced airspeed disagree, followed by a takeoff with unpopulated v-speeds. Plenty more happening on the ground as well. Certainly a lot going on here…
Try this stuff with zero pilot aircraft! Go ahead! Make my day. Do you feel lucky? Well... do you?

No. But it is a seniority system. That's the downside. You can be a Masters, PHD, 3 space shuttle landings, test pilot, etc, but if you start one week later than John Doe, you'll always be junior to John

As a side note, did you hear we have an FO who was a shuttle astronaut? I heard this recently, have no idea if it is true

Was a rumor a heard from a CA, so i cant personally substantiate it

Found it

Back