Challenger 300 Turbulence Death - Prelim Released

All this talk of the Space Shuttle solid rocket boosters, Challenger, Morton Thiokol…..all reminds me of the Pepcon disaster on 4 May 1988. Pacific Engineering and Petroleum, or Pepcon, was a company that made ammonium perchlorate, one of the big ingredients in solid rocket boosters. On 4 May, the manufacturing plant, which at the time was in the middle of nowhere in rural Henderson, NV….roughly just north of the intersection of I-215 and Gibson Blvd in what was the middle of the desert at the time……suffered a fire. The fire rapidly spread and was filmed by a line crew working on radio antennas 1.5 miles to the southeast on Black Mountain. Some serious detonations and vapor clouds, among the severe fire, were suffered at the plant.

The cleaned up audio from the second segment of the below video, makes it clear.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=gGSx54CkWsQ

Ooo hold hands to get through an IPC. Clearly I stepped on your ego. “My bad.”

Couldn’t care less. I know at our shop, we have specific approaches that literally no other airline has - probably not even your Corpie shop. As far as I’m aware, they are Airline-specific RNP approaches.

And yes, I know where 121 is lacking. We have zero LPV. I think those would be awesome - and they’re probably coming at some point. I know there’s synthetic vision and a whole host of other technology (heck, even a G1000 is more advanced than what the NGs have).

That said, if I had fly from point A to B, I’d choose a US Part 121 airline before anything else. Not sorry if that hurts feelings.
Wrong. They're not airline specific. This is where LOAs come in handy.

Keep on spewing your corporate knowledge to the folks who actually fly or have flown corporate.

Keep on spewing your corporate knowledge to the folks who actually fly or have flown corporate.
C081’s a useful one to have in your back pocket. Especially because Montrose smells like cow poop and Rifle’s home to Lauren Bobert.

Dad paid for my job
I still denigrate others
Watch me laugh, bitches

This is an amazing take.

You see in a normal functioning family, you have two parents, a female mother and a male father. They raise you. Estimates of birth to age 18 is about 250k. It’s expensive, but responsible parents do that. Then comes college. Those parents who can afford to pay, do so. Otherwise kids take loans and go to college. If pursuing aviation back in those days, you get a private pilot, an instrument, and a commercial/multi. I paid for a lot of that. Then came the route of what to do next, either get a Comm-SE, CFI, double I, and MEI, or do a RJ course. I did the RJ course with some of my own money and some family.

Only on JC is that seen as vilifying thing. I apologize, I promise I’ll hate on white people more and contribute to a reparations fund. While I watch you pretend you won’t help your own children.

Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 12.09.50.png

Bruh. What are you even talking about?

Then perhaps it would be helpful if operators could get their hands on those approaches and fly them, instead of trying to pull circle to land approaches involving tight turns.

And to think, there’s hatred for saying one thinks it’s not as safe an operation as a 121 operation, based on accident records and well-known personal (CRM) issues ripe in that world?

This is an amazing take.

You see in a normal functioning family, you have two parents, a female mother and a male father. They raise you. Estimates of birth to age 18 is about 250k. It’s expensive, but responsible parents do that. Then comes college. Those parents who can afford to pay, do so. Otherwise kids take loans and go to college. If pursuing aviation back in those days, you get a private pilot, an instrument, and a commercial/multi. I paid for a lot of that. Then came the route of what to do next, either get a Comm-SE, CFI, double I, and MEI, or do a RJ course. I did the RJ course with some of my own money and some family.

You completely bypassed the normal process of getting experience before stepping in a 121 cockpit.

You ridicule the idea of people of color being hired with minimum qualifications because of their lineage, while you did *exactly that*.

And you have the audacity to come on here and ridicule an entire segment of US aviation for its lack of standards?

I’ll put it this way: I would put my family on one of my company’s corporate jets long before I put them on a plane you’re flying because I know from experience what’s learned in the first 1-2k hrs…and you paid to skip that because of whatever reason.

And I’d put my family on a plane piloted by Jack Roush before I’d be ok with them in the back of a CRJ with the captain giving instruction to a 300hr FO whose parents paid for their seat.

You completely bypassed the normal process of getting experience before stepping in a 121 cockpit.

You ridicule the idea of people of color being hired with minimum qualifications because of their lineage, while you did *exactly that*.

And you have the audacity to come on here and ridicule an entire segment of US aviation for its lack of standards?

I’ll put it this way: I would put my family on one of my company’s corporate jets long before I put them on a plane you’re flying because I know from experience what’s learned in the first 1-2k hrs…and you paid to skip that because of whatever reason.

And I’d put my family on a plane piloted by Jack Roush before I’d be ok with them in the back of a CRJ with the captain giving instruction to a 300hr FO whose parents paid for their seat.

Dead! I'm dead!

You know, murdering someone this violently carries the death penalty in many states.

The "haven't paid your dues!" argument? Not that trope again. I took a normal process that was published and available to anyone who wanted to do so. Including you.

Objection, assumes facts not in evidence? Where have I made fun of people of color (is this still an acceptable thing?) hired with min quals? I don't recall doing that. What I have done in the past is pointed to checkered background histories of pilots - regardless of race - that led to accidents.

I *assume* you meant Ethiopian. My views on that one are clear - they screwed the pooch despite knowing that MCAS exists and the Boeing guidance about how to get out of a MCAS situation. Their race has absolutely NOTHING to do with it. Like a liberal victim, you make this about race.

See, the difference is that's a personal attack (you won't fly a 121 jet only if I'm on it). My comments were not an individual personal attack. My comment is on the overall corporate operation, especially 91. And the incident/accident record it represents.

As for the last part, I know I get laughed at by the likes of slumtodd, but the reality is we are going the route of MPL. There just aren't going to be enough ATP 1500 hr pilots in America. Not when LITERALLY the rest of the world makes do with 250-500 hr Comm/Inst/ME types. You just have to do it correctly. And YES, that involves weeding people out AND telling some people that they shouldn't be driving a car - let alone flying a plane.

The "haven't paid your dues!" argument? Not that trope again. I took a normal process that was published and available to anyone who wanted to do so.

I have a lot to say about all your BS in the above post, but I’m going to bold this and ask that you just consider it for a minute.

Back