CFI pay $1500/ month???!

Maybe jtrain could make an appearance, although he isn't a lawyer yet he probably has learned enough to give the advice not to admit to a felony on a public bulletin board system. I'm not saying I don't sympathize but... yeah.

How many days did/ do you work a week? How many guar. days off per month do you get? What are your benefits? how much of your $1000 was actually taken out in taxes?:yup: Be honest..

I worked everyday. No guaranteed days off and no benefits. For me it went in spurts. I would work my tail off for a few weeks, and then some days off. Worked quite well. Like anyone else, standard tax rates applied for me. I am a little savvy so I actually paid quite a bit less in taxes last year than most. And yes, every writeoff is receipted and accounted for:)

My bring home pay the month I made over a 1000 was $2852 before taxes.

I certainly was not trying to compare my compensation to regional pay. I was just stating what I made, on the high end, in bonuses. However, I was completely happy to get this type of dough AND get to instruct in brand new Seminoles. I came into this indsutry with the understanding that CFI AND beginning regional pay sucks. OMFG! I am one of those guys willing to do it I guess seeing as I accepted those terms and came into the industry. Will I do what I can to help raise pay? You betcha.

Dang, they reduced the pay? performance bonuses are great if youre busy like they were 2 years ago, but now that its slowed down, i cant imagine very much many bonuses are being paid out...

I never paid taxes on my ATP income... the IRS didnt find out either. I live dangerously I guess. lol

ATP submitted how much they paid you, so the IRS knows.

I know... Im kinda worried about it. Cross that bridge when i get there I guess.

I might be wrong but I doubt the IRS is going to come after someone who made less than 20,000. When I was a caddy (and paid much better than when I was a CFI) I knew a guy that was in his mid 20s and had never paid taxes. He was doing two loops a day and pulling in 200+ every day all summer. He never paid taxes. Apparently he finally graduated college and had to get a social security number after I left there. Either way the IRS never came after him.

Then again when I was doing construction I was also an independent contractor. My boss said I could be an employee and make 10 an hour or be independent and make 15, I chose 15. The other guy I worked with had been doing this for years and he finally got audited one year. To the best of my knowledge he got away with it though. I had to pay 400 bucks at the end of the year and my mom's accountant just did a creative write-off so I paid nothing.

At any rate if it's been a few years and you've paid your taxes since I really doubt the IRS will come after you for old debt. Good luck though you're not the only one in this boat.

I know a few people that worked at ATP that either didnt pay taxes, or got really creative with deducting almost everything and didnt have to pay a dime.

Chances of getting into trouble? I wouldnt risk it.

The time I spent instructing at ATP was the same year I was an intern. When you file and took home $8k its not hard to owe nothing if you deduct headsets or somethng work related you bought.

The time I spent instructing at ATP was the same year I was an intern. When you file and took home $8k its not hard to owe nothing if you deduct headsets or somethng work related you bought.

This is the key. If you earn income but don't file it's a felony, if you file but don't pay it's not.

Back