CBD Usage

Yup I'm too dumb. You do seem like make life a lot more difficult that it needs to be, as was your time at XOjet.

Wait. Who was saying what about letting things go? Oh yeah... you did. Yet here you are bringing up more stuff you have zero SA on at all.

Why do I have a feeling your an extremely overweight, meek nerd in real life? It must be that you’re reminding me of my former coworkers. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, here’s the deal.

If you’re a 121 pilot using CBD, even after the FAA and ALPA have come out warning against it’s use, you’re crazy.

If you’re not flying for a living, knock yourself out, but to use good union resources or billable legal minutes defending against a professional pilot who threw abandon to the wind and got busted, it would be an inefficient use of resources to defend someone who went against advice and threw caution to the wind.

The only way you'll get busted for CBD use is if you test positive for THC. Then the union isn't going to help you anyway.

I'm in the middle on this, ain't gonna use CBDs or otherwise but also the stigma and conservative stance on it is straight up dumb.

Sadly the summer of shredding Whistler bike park probably isn't going to happen this year. I find it very annoying when someone offers me: gum, energy chews, energy bars, lunch, a soda, literally anything. The first question I ask: "Does this have weed in it?"

Not to mention when my hands, wrists, arms and entire body are clapped out after 4 days of park laps all day and the riders I'm with tell me how great they feel after using CBD.

"Oh no its fine. I'll have a whiskey and some advil thanks. It's much better for me."

irregardless.
93FF04EA-7D79-4571-BC80-D83DA39086C5.jpeg

I’m not using either one but like Bike21 I think the laws are dumb. We are giving up a health option that has little side effects and is extremely beneficial for a myriad of health issues.

I think a lot of laws are “dumb”. Like I’d love a glass of Chianti on a transcon flight before top-of-descent.

Come on, wouldn’t that be nice?

I think a lot of laws are “dumb”. Like I’d love a glass of Chianti on a transcon flight before top-of-descent.

Come on, wouldn’t that be nice?

So you’re going to raise your thinly veiled accusation of me using drugs with a logical fallacy. False equivalence for the win.

Go on my man...

Go on!

So you’re going to raise your thinly veiled accusation of me using drugs with a logical fallacy. False equivalence for the win.

Go on my man...

Go on!

Lemme re-read what I wrote, standby.

Nope, I didn’t accuse you of using drugs at all, but there are a lot of laws which seem dumb but make a lot of sense in the meantime.

Here’s some guidance from the FAA: Aeromedical Advisory: Marijuana and Derivatives

As always, do what you want as I don’t care and I‘m not your parent, but make sure you’re comfortable with where your actions land on the “Risk:Reward” matrix when it comes to your career.

CBD pushers are the stoner/hippy version of Essential Oil Karens, change my mind.
I will say that the primary difference is that there are a few medical uses for marijuana that have been researched and aren’t just anecdotal. With that said, mostly it’s snake oil salesmen saying, “this’ll fix what ails ya!”

I’m not using either one but like Bike21 I think the laws are dumb. We are giving up a health option that has little side effects and is extremely beneficial for a myriad of health issues.

My other concern? The narrow scope of the CBD conversation. The term "CBD" refers to an ingredient in a product. There's HEMP CBD soaps, HEMP CBD lotions, HEMP CBD bath salts, HEMP CBD facial oils, HEMP CBD joint balm, hemp patches with CBD, HEMP CBD eye balm, HEMP CBD rapid cooling cream for sore muscles. The list goes on and on. Here's where I offered a counter discussion:

In 2018, President Trump signed the Farm Bill which, in my opinion, should have clarified a few things but unfortunately, did not.

As it relates to cannabis, INDUSTRIAL HEMP IS FEDERALLY LEGAL and MARIJUANA IS STILL ILLEGAL. [It's like telling people there are actually 10 types of GREENS.]

Where the aeromedical advisory continues to remain vague is the fact is the advisory only discusses marijuana and its derivatives. It provides absolutely ZERO guidance about hemp, which is where the majority of your CBD based products are being sold. Try explaining that difference to the average American given how confusing it is to an insightful aviation establishment? Hence, the ongoing discussion.

Hemp products include hemp seeds, hemp milk, hemp oil, hemp cheese substitutes and hemp protein powder. These products can be purchased at most health food stores. Share on Pinterest Hemp seeds are easily sprinkled on salads, oatmeal, and yogurt.Nov 19, 2018
Hemp: Nutrition, health benefits, and diet - Medical News Today

Last edited:
I will say that the primary difference is that there are a few medical uses for marijuana that have been researched and aren’t just anecdotal. With that said, mostly it’s snake oil salesmen saying, “this’ll fix what ails ya!”
Marijuana, yes. But CBD oil? AFAICT it’s exactly like essential oils.

Well, here’s the deal.

If you’re a 121 pilot using CBD, even after the FAA and ALPA have come out warning against it’s use, you’re crazy.

If you’re not flying for a living, knock yourself out, but to use good union resources or billable legal minutes defending against a professional pilot who threw abandon to the wind and got busted, it would be an inefficient use of resources to defend someone who went against advice and threw caution to the wind.
I love stupid pilot tricks.

My other concern? The narrow scope of the CBD conversation. The term "CBD" refers to an ingredient in a product. There's HEMP CBD soaps, HEMP CBD lotions, HEMP CBD bath salts, HEMP CBD facial oils, HEMP CBD joint balm, hemp patches with CBD, HEMP CBD eye balm, HEMP CBD rapid cooling cream for sore muscles. The list goes on and on. Here's where I offered a counter discussion:

In 2018, President Trump signed the Farm Bill which, in my opinion, should have clarified a few things but unfortunately, did not.

As it relates to cannabis, INDUSTRIAL HEMP IS FEDERALLY LEGAL and MARIJUANA IS STILL ILLEGAL. [It's like telling people there are actually 10 types of GREENS.]

Where the aeromedical advisory continues to remain vague is the fact is the advisory only discusses marijuana and its derivatives. It provides absolutely ZERO guidance about hemp, which is where the majority of your CBD based products are being sold. Try explaining that difference to the average American given how confusing it is to an insightful aviation establishment? Hence, the ongoing discussion.

Hemp products include hemp seeds, hemp milk, hemp oil, hemp cheese substitutes and hemp protein powder. These products can be purchased at most health food stores. Share on Pinterest Hemp seeds are easily sprinkled on salads, oatmeal, and yogurt.Nov 19, 2018
Hemp: Nutrition, health benefits, and diet - Medical News Today

There’s no point in trying to change anyone’s mind here. These guys think that using a CBD balm for sore muscles is the equivalent of drinking hard alcohol at cruise. Right before top of descent.

There’s no point in trying to change anyone’s mind here. These guys think that using a CBD balm for sore muscles is the equivalent of drinking hard alcohol at cruise. Right before top of descent.

The problem is not my understanding of the difference. The problem is that you have no way of knowing what they say is in the bottle is what’s in the bottle. And lab testing has shown that.

The problem is not my understanding of the difference. The problem is that you have no way of knowing what they say is in the bottle is what’s in the bottle. And lab testing has shown that.

My problem is that exact misrepresentation of the truth. How absurd to even believe either FDA or any other lab be it in the U.S. or abroad is so generally inept that they don't know what's in ANY product. No way of knowing? Lord Jesus. The FDA knows. The ONLY significant area of anecdotal discussion is in the efficacy of the products per individual. If there's hemp oil in soap, they know what amount. If there's hemp in lotion? They know the CBD levels. False narrative.

Back