Catalina BE-55 Crash

Wow this won’t piss you off or anything but I just did a phone interview 😭🤣
Pilot mills, gonna pilot mill, I guess. I still remember when I went to Westwind for a simple checkout. They made me take two written test. Basically do an oral afterwards, before going flying. It took about three hours total. I love mom & pops. A checkout flight is so simple. Give them your logbook. CFI pages through it. Tells you what he/she's looking for, then you go and fly and at the end you get signed off, or not. If only M&P's had the access to DPE's in today's world, that pilot mills do. Sigh.

I have no experience with such a scenario, obviously. So using what I do know, if I were in such a scenario, I'd like to think that one would immediately declare an emergency with whatever controlling agency that you're talking to and request vectors to land. Not that approach/departure control would be able to help with BAI, you're on your own for that mostly. But assuming that you can maintain an altitude and heading. I'd think that declaring an emergency would be the best bet to get you back to land/safety. Assuming that you're not so discombobulated, that you can't have thought to do that and also control said plane. If I'm wrong correct me. I'm here to learn.
Fly, navigate, communicate; in that order. Of course, the "fly" part is where it falls apart even before we get to navigating and communicating for the non-rated. It would tend to depend on how you got into the instrument conditions. Dark night off the California coast does not equate to a 180-degree turn and we're home free. The Pacific Coast, away from SF and LA, is dark on a moonless night. Sure, the weather might be VFR often, but that does not equate to VMC. And coming out of many of those places, you are most assuredly on your own as far as navigation too; radar coverage or an instrument approach may not be available. It's not a bad plan but the odds are NOT in someone's favor for actually carrying it out.

Your plan presupposes the airplane will be kept under control for that long. The studies vary (and the conditions of the studies are rightly criticized too), but they all point to "not good;" half of all GA weather-related accidents are due to this. In college, when I was learning how to fly, my Dad insisted that I get an instrument rating even if I did not want to do this professionally (at the time, I didn't). It probably saved my life a few times.

This is why, were I King for a day, we would not issue airplane private pilot privileges without instrument ratings unless those certificates bore the same limitation that commercial tickets sans instrument ratings have ("the carriage of passengers beyond 50NM from the origin airport, and at night, is prohibited" or something to that effect). Drastic and deeply unpopular with the Bay Area techbros, sure, but we break a lot of airplanes and bury a LOT of people due to LOC-I, VFR-into-IMC.

Fly, navigate, communicate; in that order. Of course, the "fly" part is where it falls apart even before we get to navigating and communicating for the non-rated. It would tend to depend on how you got into the instrument conditions. Dark night off the California coast does not equate to a 180-degree turn and we're home free. The Pacific Coast, away from SF and LA, is dark on a moonless night. Sure, the weather might be VFR often, but that does not equate to VMC. And coming out of many of those places, you are most assuredly on your own as far as navigation too; radar coverage or an instrument approach may not be available. It's not a bad plan but the odds are NOT in someone's favor for actually carrying it out.

Your plan presupposes the airplane will be kept under control for that long. The studies vary (and the conditions of the studies are rightly criticized too), but they all point to "not good;" half of all GA weather-related accidents are due to this. In college, when I was learning how to fly, my Dad insisted that I get an instrument rating even if I did not want to do this professionally (at the time, I didn't). It probably saved my life a few times.

This is why, were I King for a day, we would not issue airplane private pilot privileges without instrument ratings unless those certificates bore the same limitation that commercial tickets sans instrument ratings have ("the carriage of passengers beyond 50NM from the origin airport, and at night, is prohibited" or something to that effect). Drastic and deeply unpopular with the Bay Area techbros, sure, but we break a lot of airplanes and bury a LOT of people due to LOC-I, VFR-into-IMC.
I agree and I'll tell you why. Getting my A/P was far more difficult than getting my PPL and once I was certified I could literally work on darn near anything and sign it off (with some supervision and some restrictions). As a newly minted minted PPL with no instrument rating it was entirely up to me to decide when I wanted to fly and whether or not my plan was valid. I know it'd probably increase the cost to entry but I really think the PPL should include an instrument rating (with all of the currency requirements it has now). Once you let the horse out of the gate you have no idea where it's going to run.

I'll just drop this here for some reason. A 7 yr seniority delta bud of mine (I'm his navy XO actually, he's skipper), just asked me what an LDA approach is. I told him that I won't tell him, and that he doesn't get the O-4 fitreps and E-6 evals from me until he figures it out :)

Has he not been to SLC?

I haven’t been there for a while, but they were famous for join the localizer 34L, do you have the field in sight? Cleared visual 34R, oh no we’re going to need you on the LDA 35 traffic 12 o’clock two miles, a Cessna 150, S-turns approved.

Has he not been to SLC?

I haven’t been there for a while, but they were famous for join the localizer 34L, do you have the field in sight? Cleared visual 34R, oh no we’re going to need you on the LDA 35 traffic 12 o’clock two miles, a Cessna 150, S-turns approved.
sound of autopilot disconnect hailer followed by autothrottle disconnect

Has he not been to SLC?

He's also the guy who claims that none of your 737's will join a localizer in APP mode. Which I find to be questionable info

Pilot mills, gonna pilot mill, I guess. I still remember when I went to Westwind for a simple checkout. They made me take two written test. Basically do an oral afterwards, before going flying. It took about three hours total. I love mom & pops. A checkout flight is so simple. Give them your logbook. CFI pages through it. Tells you what he/she's looking for, then you go and fly and at the end you get signed off, or not. If only M&P's had the access to DPE's in today's world, that pilot mills do. Sigh.

Attachments

• 9DCA7B62-EA2E-4CA1-8227-0CC98E876F8D.jpeg
    9DCA7B62-EA2E-4CA1-8227-0CC98E876F8D.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 18
Back