Cargo Prop Pecking Order

8d82d5137e302a44b4d80223255cabb4.jpg

If your gonna go with a 18 it's got to be on floats.

Don't get me wrong, at AMF, the Metro is the hardest to learn and pass a checkride in, and when something breaks, can get pretty nutty. Bad turbulence/crosswind on final/flare is difficult as well, but the day-to-day grind is just easier. Main thing is loading. They take long enough to load that there's plenty of time to balance your other duties. The 99 was harder on the ground. I didn't fly the chieftain.

I never flew the 99 at AMF, but did fly the PA-31 and 1900. While the 1900 was fun to fly, I probably enjoyed flying the PA-31 more. Might have had to do with my runs, but 3+ hours in a 1900 gets old quick.

Probably the only "freight" prop planes I want to fly at this point is a Convair or an old Fokker, or any of the Douglas series older than the one I fly now.

Can we add this to the previous Metro circle jerk posts?
You sure can!

It's still the hardest plane to learn and get used to that I've flown so far though. 100-150 hours is about average for most new guys, about 120ish for me to see most of the weirdness and be comfortable with it on the line. 10-20 hours for every other plane I've been in. I'll always be a Metrosecksual in that regard. :) It is easier than a piston plane in an air carrier operation once you're comfortable with it though.

Carry on with the radials please!

I never flew the 99 at AMF, but did fly the PA-31 and 1900. While the 1900 was fun to fly, I probably enjoyed flying the PA-31 more. Might have had to do with my runs, but 3+ hours in a 1900 gets old quick.

Probably the only "freight" prop planes I want to fly at this point is a Convair or an old Fokker, or any of the Douglas series older than the one I fly now.
CVG though! UGH! I HATE the Metro on the Venezuela run. Love it on St. Lucia. That indeed makes a difference for sure!

All this metro circle jerk makes me want to go fly one so I can decide for myself that it's a terrible airplane... That's in the spirit of a freight thread right?

All this metro circle jerk makes me want to go fly one so I can decide for myself that it's a terrible airplane... That's in the spirit of a freight thread right?

From now on, you will have to suffer at your better paying, safer, better QOL jobs, while you read about how amazing the mighty tube of freight death is, on internet forums, and how everyone narrowly escaped certain death. You have missed the locker room Metro slap ass after a harrowing day of flying rat turds in the worlds most dangerous aircraft according to freight pilots, but not accident statistics. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

We already had an intervention with you once. Do we need another?

Thanks for this thread. It's been an eye-opening tell-tale interest identifier for me. I love aviation and any and all aircraft.
When I see the Lears, 747s, ATRs, Dash-8s, Brasilias, etc, I like them. I mean, they're okay, I would like to fly any of them, but they don't do much for me emotionally beyond the fact that I'm flying. But when I see the DC-3s, C-46s, DC-4/6s, Electras, Beech-18s, Beavers, Pilatus Porters, Gooses, Albatrosses and other flying boats, etc, my heart speeds up uncontrollably and beats harder and my breathing changes. I feel a smile rise on my face and I get visibly excited. It's like I've just seen the most beautiful woman in my life.
I normally try not to think with my emotions, but I'm really, passionately attracted to those types of airframes for some reason and would absolutely love to find a job flying any or all of them someday. I don't think I would ever leave. Those are some of the most beautiful, elite, ultimate airframes to be a Captain on. Ever.
Thanks for clarifying in my head what I've known subconsciously in my heart all along.

I know what you mean. The company that made me the offer to fly the ATL-98 also had some DC-3s. I would actually be flying both, and would probably move to the left seat of the DC-3 in months. At the same time I had an offer from a regional. I mentioned this to the owner of the freight company and he asked me, "Son, you have any kids?" I replied that I had one and another on the way. "Son", he replied. "As much as I would like to have you, and as much fun as it would be for you to fly my airplanes, you need to start facing the "R" word. Responsibility. You need to take care of you family first and the best way to do that is by taking the regional job."

I know what you mean. The company that made me the offer to fly the ATL-98 also had some DC-3s. I would actually be flying both, and would probably move to the left seat of the DC-3 in months. At the same time I had an offer from a regional. I mentioned this to the owner of the freight company and he asked me, "Son, you have any kids?" I replied that I had one and another on the way. "Son", he replied. "As much as I would like to have you, and as much fun as it would be for you to fly my airplanes, you need to start facing the "R" word. Responsibility. You need to take care of you family first and the best way to do that is by taking the regional job."
Well, my kids are all grown up and moved out except for a daughter. She's 17 and a senior in high school though, so it won't be long before it's just me and my beautiful bride again.
That R word is what derailed my aviation career twenty something years ago.
But that's in the past. A new dawn is coming soon and I'm trying to get myself in a position to pick up where I left off and start a professional pilot career.

Back