Cargo Prop Pecking Order

aviation-traders-atl-98-carvair-01.jpg

I'm surprised this one never made the thread. I had an offer to fly this for a company that operated out of Tara Field, south of KATL, but had to turn it down.

Thanks for this thread. It's been an eye-opening tell-tale interest identifier for me. I love aviation and any and all aircraft.
When I see the Lears, 747s, ATRs, Dash-8s, Brasilias, etc, I like them. I mean, they're okay, I would like to fly any of them, but they don't do much for me emotionally beyond the fact that I'm flying. But when I see the DC-3s, C-46s, DC-4/6s, Electras, Beech-18s, Beavers, Pilatus Porters, Gooses, Albatrosses and other flying boats, etc, my heart speeds up uncontrollably and beats harder and my breathing changes. I feel a smile rise on my face and I get visibly excited. It's like I've just seen the most beautiful woman in my life.
I normally try not to think with my emotions, but I'm really, passionately attracted to those types of airframes for some reason and would absolutely love to find a job flying any or all of them someday. I don't think I would ever leave. Those are some of the most beautiful, elite, ultimate airframes to be a Captain on. Ever.
Thanks for clarifying in my head what I've known subconsciously in my heart all along.

Last edited:
Based only on what I've flown and ranked by overall operational difficulty. I realize most HR departments don't give a crap, but they should! :)

-Piston
-MU-2/Metro because they're CRAZY
-Unpressurised turbine
-Other pressurized turbine
-Part 25 props, using the Brasilia a reference. By far the easiest and least experience building of the lot. CRM IN the plane aside, but even that just isn't hard at all to figure out. If you're not a richard and know how to disarm a richard. Learned in life...
-Jets. All the former freight guys would probably put them here as well. :)

For career advancement
The exact reverse of that list. :rolleyes: :)

My humble opinion of course. I'm braced and ready for your comments! :)
I'd mostly agree with that list except I would maybe put MU-2/Metro ahead of Pistons just based on what I've heard about those two types.

I'd mostly agree with that list except I would maybe put MU-2/Metro ahead of Pistons just based on what I've heard about those two types.
Systems wise and the likely hood of dealing with an emergency where, if you're an idiot, you'll probably die. However, operationally, piston freight is the hardest and most dangerous flying I've ever done. No power if you get iced up. No power to climb above the weather in a pinch. Minimum avionics. Ect. ect. ect.

Metro/Brasilia guy here. @Boris Badenov flew the MU-2. I think he might agree that Flight Express flying was the hardest.

Last edited:
The beat up Shorts I fly is probably the ugliest. It's fun to fly, but I really get my kicks flying Metros

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 232
Systems wise and the likely hood of dealing with an emergency where, if you're an idiot, you'll probably die. However, operationally, piston freight is the hardest and most dangerous flying I've ever done. No power if you get iced up. No power to climb above the weather in a pinch. Minimum avionics. Ect. ect. ect.

Metro/Brasilia guy here. @Boris Badenov flew the MU-2. I think he might agree that Flight Express flying was the hardest.
I'll agree with you there. The Piston I'm flying freight in now (PA31) is less badass than a 210, but the Turbine guys still have it better in terms of aircraft utility.

In order of awesomeness:

F-14
Metroliner/MU-2
most airliners
most business jets (not Citations)
402 (Cessna, not Beech), Navajo/Chieftan - all recips, but twins
Caravan
Single engine piston poppers
You forgot the Lear 23 up there between the Tom and @Boris Badenov's favorite plane. ;)

The beat up Shorts I fly is probably the ugliest. It's fun to fly, but I really get my kicks flying Metros
The secret to flying in Shorts is to get some trim in there. Else you might over-stress the main spar.

I'll agree with you there. The Piston I'm flying freight in now (PA31) is less badass than a 210, but the Turbine guys still have it better in terms of aircraft utility.
Don't get me wrong, at AMF, the Metro is the hardest to learn and pass a checkride in, and when something breaks, can get pretty nutty. Bad turbulence/crosswind on final/flare is difficult as well, but the day-to-day grind is just easier. Main thing is loading. They take long enough to load that there's plenty of time to balance your other duties. The 99 was harder on the ground. I didn't fly the chieftain.

Don't get me wrong, at AMF, the Metro is the hardest to learn and pass a checkride in, and when something breaks, can get pretty nutty. Bad turbulence/crosswind on final/flare is difficult as well, but the day-to-day grind is just easier. Main thing is loading. They take long enough to load that there's plenty of time to balance your other duties. The 99 was harder on the ground. I didn't fly the chieftain.

Can we add this to the previous Metro circle jerk posts?

Back