Can Tower Help With This

flyguy969

As a pilot who has just received his license I have had a question that has been on my mind: Here is a situation I had the other day while flying. I called tower, gave them my info and said I was inbound for a full stop. Tower said no problem make left base and call when on final. It was very hazy when I was up and approaching sunset so it was a little hard to see the airport let alone the runway. I did make left base and while I had a hard time seeing the runway at first I did find it, turned final and called tower with no problems. Now, I was wondering is it considered bad (from the tower’s point of view) or would they get annoyed if I asked them to call my final (tell me when to turn). The flight was in total VFR conditions (FYI) I just wonder is this something (asking for tower’s help for turns) something that can be done often or only in rare occasions. Thank you for your help.

It really depends if the tower cab is equipped with a D-BRITE or equivalent radar display. If they are, you might hear a phrase in the ATIS stating "basic radar services available on request". This means that they can offer you "suggested" headings, but cannot provide any services on the scale of a radar facility such as a TRACON. I once took a student to the tower at Newport News/Williamsburg Intl. Airport, and heard them asking certain VFR arrivals to squawk ident. Once they observed the ident on the D-BRITE, they would issue the pattern or landing instructions. They didn't necessarily radar identify the aircraft, but more so used the ident as a "yeah, that blip is you".

All in all, it wouldn't hurt to ask if they can help you out with a heading. If they aren't equipped with a D-BRITE, they may be able to ring up the TRACON and get their assistance.

Also consider that they may have better visibility than you, sun is at their backs not in their eyes, they are looking into the sky, you are trying to distinguish among ground features, and so on. Even if they have no radar they may be of assistance. It can never hurt to ask for help if you are having trouble, the worst they can say is that they are unable to help and you have lost nothing from asking.

I once asked the tower to turn on the approach lights in that exact situation. That helped.

Tune in the localizer (if available). I always do it for visuals into unknown fields.

Great idea an something that everyone should do IMO. It will keep you from landing on the wrong runway, taxiway, or airport. A simple thing that can save a lot of embarrasment...

As a pilot who has just received his license I have had a question that has been on my mind: Here is a situation I had the other day while flying. I called tower, gave them my info and said I was inbound for a full stop. Tower said no problem make left base and call when on final. It was very hazy when I was up and approaching sunset so it was a little hard to see the airport let alone the runway. I did make left base and while I had a hard time seeing the runway at first I did find it, turned final and called tower with no problems. Now, I was wondering is it considered bad (from the tower’s point of view) or would they get annoyed if I asked them to call my final (tell me when to turn). The flight was in total VFR conditions (FYI) I just wonder is this something (asking for tower’s help for turns) something that can be done often or only in rare occasions. Thank you for your help.

Nothing wrong with it. They might not WANT to do it, for fear of it being construed as some type of 'vectoring.' But most places should do it, even without a DBRITE if the vis is favorable.

Depending upon where the tower sits in relationship to the runway, might it not be pretty difficult to tell when an aircraft is at the right location to make the turn for final? Obviously I don't have any experience in tower ops, but just thinking about how different flight paths look from the ground at different locations on an airport, I would think that might be a consideration.

Depending upon where the tower sits in relationship to the runway, might it not be pretty difficult to tell when an aircraft is at the right location to make the turn for final? Obviously I don't have any experience in tower ops, but just thinking about how different flight paths look from the ground at different locations on an airport, I would think that might be a consideration.

Shouldn't be much of an issue. Most controllers have a pretty good eye for what they're used to seeing for positions in the pattern.

Correct just recieved my ppl. I will be starting my Inst/Comm shortly though!!! THEN I'll understand what "localizer" means :rawk:

a pvt pilot can definately understand and track a localizer. A localizer in real short terms is a very sensitive VOR basically with one radial lined up with the runway centerline and it is much more sensitive than a VOR. Just tune to the airports localizer freq. as you would a VOR and then set the VOR to runway heading for a reminder and center the needle as you would a VOR, that will put you on an extended center line. You also have glideslope which will show you your glidepath and keep you on a constant descent towards the numbers but you dont need to worry about that for your situation.

A phrase I have used many times is "XXXX tower, I am having difficulty spotting the airport at this time, could you give me a princible direction towards the airport?"

Typically shorten it so you are not clogging the airwaves but a usual response you can expect from a helpful controller is..

"Cessna XXX, airport is at your 2 o'clock and three miles"

If you still do not see it you can ask for possible assistance with a heading, most towers if able will give you a heading if they are radar equipped.

I am not a controller though, these are just things that have worked for me in the past

a pvt pilot can definately understand and track a localizer. A localizer in real short terms is a very sensitive VOR basically with one radial lined up with the runway centerline and it is much more sensitive than a VOR. Just tune to the airports localizer freq. as you would a VOR and then set the VOR to runway heading for a reminder and center the needle as you would a VOR, that will put you on an extended center line. You also have glideslope which will show you your glidepath and keep you on a constant descent towards the numbers but you dont need to worry about that for your situation.

A phrase I have used many times is "XXXX tower, I am having difficulty spotting the airport at this time, could you give me a princible direction towards the airport?"

Typically shorten it so you are not clogging the airwaves but a usual response you can expect from a helpful controller is..

"Cessna XXX, airport is at your 2 o'clock and three miles"

If you still do not see it you can ask for possible assistance with a heading, most towers if able will give you a heading if they are radar equipped.

I am not a controller though, these are just things that have worked for me in the past

I've always used 'fly recommended heading xxx. Airport is in your 12 oclock. 4 miles. Advise airfield in sight.'

Back