Bye bye Medevac

Yah, I definitely wasn’t trying to say that they were doomed without me :bounce:. Just an observation on a changing landscape. The service where I was at has been reduced to one 12hr pilot shift a day, instead of two.
I don’t know how your base was but for me (and I normally HAAAAAATE this term applied to a workplace) it really did feel like leaving a family so I get where Pat is coming from. Might be a unique thing in the Medevac world to a few bases with low turnover etc though.
I think you’ve shown that it has in fact gotten measurably better.
“Immeasurably better”

*proceeds to make a very decent attempt at measuring it*

In spite of everything I have OE trips starting 2/2.
Sweet! Just promise as soon as you are signed off you’ll start complaining about how the union is selling reserve pilots out.
I don’t know how your base was but for me (and I normally HAAAAAATE this term applied to a workplace) it really did feel like leaving a family so I get where Pat is coming from. Might be a unique thing in the Medevac world to a few bases with low turnover etc though.

“Immeasurably better”

*proceeds to make a very decent attempt at measuring it*
Pilots like to think they are cool, but I swear we are the biggest nerds.

I get this too, having come from a "ready room" type of world, where we lived together for a year at a time on some boat in the middle of the ocean. It is not a "work" relationship at that point. My boys from my first deployment and I still talk every single day, over a decade later.

But our shop is small. That's one reason I came here. It isn't the "family" the company likes to talk about exactly, but I have flown with the same people a few times now. I think that is cool, even if it isn't the same thing.

WHY DIDNT YOU GUYS RE-NEGOTIATE THE NEW HIRE RESERVE HOTEL LOA?!!?

ho boy, people are PISSED about this incentive LOA. It has boomer hate written all over it (I mean who can't get into that?), wrapped up in reserve pilot angst. I don't even fully understand any of it, but people are mad

For what its worth, I am not bidding and am not eligible, but even if I were, there is no chance it would matter if I did. The top 50 will be rolling their golf carts in Gig Harbor, trying to figure out who made out better :)

ho boy, people are PISSED about this incentive LOA. It has boomer hate written all over it (I mean who can't get into that?), wrapped up in reserve pilot angst. I don't even fully understand any of it, but people are mad

Reserve pilots can’t pickup on days off for extra pay above guarantee. Effectively, limiting the earning potential for 600 pilots to be no more than 75-79 hrs per month, in order to get about 160 pilots the ability to stay home doing nothing and collecting 40 hrs. This partial pay stay home will go way senior.

So yeah, the juniors were sold out to benefit the seniors.

“Mr. 60 minutes. Tell me something I don’t know.”

Reserve pilots can’t pickup on days off for extra pay above guarantee. Effectively, limiting the earning potential for 600 pilots to be no more than 75-79 hrs per month, in order to get about 160 pilots the ability to stay home doing nothing and collecting 40 hrs. This partial pay stay home will go way senior.

So yeah, the juniors were sold out to benefit the seniors.

“Mr. 60 minutes. Tell me something I don’t know.”

Oh yeah, I get the frustration. I just didn't really understand what changed with reserve pickups? I thought you could do that in the new contract?

14 years ago yesterday (Valentine’s Day 2010) I stepped off a 737 in Juneau for the first time and went down to the 135 terminal that no longer exists to meet @ppragman and crash on his couch.

Today I landed a 737 in Juneau on an OE trip. How is this even real life
It isn't. That's ok though, real life is overrated.

Congratulations my friend - what a long strange trip it's been.

Flew my last flight in the Learjet landing in Juneau at 230 in the morning, as per true medevac style. Very big feels as I say goodbye to coworkers, a job, and an airplane that I love and move on to bigger things. Indoc for a Proudly All Boeing operator starts Monday in Seattle.
hell ya! Yo OUT

C10866D3-2533-4F73-BE50-2BE626CC90ED.jpeg

The airports of SE AK literally made me into the pilot and the person I am. Flying through there as an airline pilot for the first time was awesome. I’m sure with reserve, commuting, stagnation, etc I’ll have plenty of days where it all seems like a hassle but the last 2 days are an experience I’ll hang onto forever.

That's pretty cool. I worked in ATC for a short time at LAX. One of my jobs was making the arrival ATIS. A couple years later I was flying into LAX in a Convair listening to the arrival ATIS. Your picture is way cooler, though. A great feeling.

14 years ago yesterday (Valentine’s Day 2010) I stepped off a 737 in Juneau for the first time and went down to the 135 terminal that no longer exists to meet @ppragman and crash on his couch.

Today I landed a 737 in Juneau on an OE trip. How is this even real life

There was a point in my career in which I was dumping lavs, then later in life I was filling those lavs. Sometimes life comes full circle.

Congratulations on your accomplishment, but sorry you're in the conestoga wagon of the skies.

That's pretty cool. I worked in ATC for a short time at LAX. One of my jobs was making the arrival ATIS. A couple years later I was flying into LAX in a Convair listening to the arrival ATIS. Your picture is way cooler, though. A great feeling.
That job must be exciting?

There was a point in my career in which I was dumping lavs, then later in life I was filling those lavs. Sometimes life comes full circle.

Congratulations on your accomplishment, but sorry you're in the conestoga wagon of the skies.
It's perfect just a little change but have change. Don't stuck at same sheet everyday... Repeatedly

That job must be exciting?
It was so exciting I almost quit. Rip and mark strips for the arrival sectors, provide clearances for IFR departures from SMO, TOA, and HHR, arrvial atis every time the weather changed, make entry's into the flight data computer for the controllers and go for food runs. It was working the flight data position. Glad I did it but more glad I got back into flying.

Back