Briefing approaches?

Well my take on that is brief any approach the same each time, so you don't miss something - start the timer, VDP, etc

If I do 5 approaches a week I won't need the mnemonic, but until then - don't forget single pilot 172 is not really the real world.

Alex.

Well my take on that is brief any approach the same each time, so you don't miss something - start the timer, VDP, etc.

Absolutely
agree 100%.

Until late last year, I lived in Colorado where an instrument approach was something you did for practice. I think I may have done 3 real ones in 20 years. The problem I saw again and again (including in myself) was too much "currency" practice at airports where the procedures were naturally memorized. And you could see the lack of a standardized, repeatable briefing and its results any time we flew to someplace less familiar.

But a standardized briefing procedure does not require a mnemonic. It's one of the initial goal of the briefing strip.

But a standardized briefing procedure does not require a mnemonic. It's one of the initial goal of the briefing strip.

Agree. And I too believe, like you, that the standardized briefing strip format of both Jeppesen as well as NOS/NACO, has made the need for an approach briefing acronym obsolete. Which is great, because there are mnemonics for darn near everything; being able to delete one for good, because it's right there in front of you on your plate, top to bottom; is a very good thing.

Really? (Looks like this one even has the Garmin integrated autopilot with GPSS)

G1000_Cockpit_w_GFC700_image_109348754397D.jpg
Ugh.

I mean, cool, but ugh. ;)

Really? (Looks like this one even has the Garmin integrated autopilot with GPSS)

G1000_Cockpit_w_GFC700_image_109348754397D.jpg
Yes, it's a no-brainer thing, even less so in the A380 that has the next-gen avionics... But I agree that the new GA cockpits are mind-boggling, perhaps too much, as I was flying with a friend of mine in his G1000 172. He was overwhelmed by all the infos presented on screen, and not looking outside at all.

Yes, it's a no-brainer thing, even less so in the A380 that has the next-gen avionics... But I agree that the new GA cockpits are mind-boggling, perhaps too much, as I was flying with a friend of mine in his G1000 172. He was overwhelmed by all the infos presented on screen, and not looking outside at all.

Insufficient training and practice with the new avionics is definitely a problem. It's not just limited to the G1000. I've seen pilots "say" an iPad is their new flight tool but then "treat it" as a toy by not training for it, with exactly the same result you describe, plus a complete inability to hold heading and altitude because they are not looking at the cockpit instruments. Doesn't take much training but it does need to do the job.

All that Spare time up aloft can be used to get the latest WX. Load the approach and brief. Now a briefing is not everything on the plate, I only like to hear relevant info, so more or less say what you are going to do..straight in ils 03 via *****..don't give me the procedure turn altitude, cuz I don't care. But that's minor stuff. The most important thing is to have everything loaded, briefed and confirmed before starting down.

As far as hazards on approach.. Up here in Canada that's anything from moderate to severe wind shear and down drafts may be encountered, remote altimeter settings, loc reliable only within 10* either side of centerline and with cold temp corrections as well..list goes on.

Give yourself lots of time and stay safe out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The biggest piece of advice I can offer here is to make your briefing BRIEF. I fly with so many people that make it a 5 minute event. All joking aside, I've lost you after about 1 minute. Unless it's a special approach or something, more than this is wasting everyone's brain power and they won't recall what's been briefed. Lately it seems like there's been a higher percentage of overruns than there has in the past. I think it may be good to brief runway length and exit strategy, and autobrake usage if you have them.

The biggest piece of advice I can offer here is to make your briefing BRIEF. I fly with so many people that make it a 5 minute event. All joking aside, I've lost you after about 1 minute. Unless it's a special approach or something, more than this is wasting everyone's brain power and they won't recall what's been briefed. Lately it seems like there's been a higher percentage of overruns than there has in the past. I think it may be good to brief runway length and exit strategy, and autobrake usage if you have them.
You'll lose me after 15 seconds unless it's a special.

Mine probably run roughly a minute or so. I make it as brief as possible, but hitting the big points on the arrival/approach/missed, transition, autobrakes, basic taxi plan. I'm not astronaut material, but I think it strikes a decent balance.

Mine probably run roughly a minute or so. I make it as brief as possible, but hitting the big points on the arrival/approach/missed, transition, autobrakes, basic taxi plan. I'm not astronaut material, but I think it strikes a decent balance.

What's the point of briefing the taxi plan on approach ? Not trying to be an ass, just curious. I usually do this before I depart. I file on Fltplan.com and download the required 135 weather on the app. This includes an airport diagram with the fbo included. Granted, this doesn't work for long haul international stuff, but do you not brief it before you leave?

What's the point of briefing the taxi plan on approach ? Not trying to be an ass, just curious. I usually do this before I depart. I file on Fltplan.com and download the required 135 weather on the app. This includes an airport diagram with the fbo included. Granted, this doesn't work for long haul international stuff, but do you not brief it before you leave?
Brief the taxi-in before we leave? No, nobody would remember it by the time we got there.

I just hit the basics...it can change, as we all know.

Build It, Bug It, Brief It!

I always start by stating the apch name and airport from the top right on the NOS plates. Common sense but Ive had students skip right to the loc freq and have the wrong plate up. Then its left to right-top to bottom for me, but I usually finish the brief with the missed and MSA. I try and brief it the way we are going to fly it, if that makes sense.

Back