Briefing approaches?

Brief the taxi-in before we leave? No, nobody would remember it by the time we got there.

I just hit the basics...it can change, as we all know.

I brief the entire airport diagram, covering all possible taxi options we could receive post landing from ground control, and I expect my crewmembers to memorize all taxiways and intersections, whether it's TUS or ORD. Then I quiz them enroute in order to keep the info fresh.

:)

I brief the entire airport diagram, covering all possible taxi options we could receive post landing from ground control, and I expect my crewmembers to memorize all taxiways and intersections, whether it's TUS or ORD. Then I quiz them enroute in order to keep the info fresh.

Good to know I'm not that only one that does this. Your forgot "hotspots". One must be ever vigilant.

Good to know I'm not that only one that does this. Your forgot "hotspots". One must be ever vigilant.

I once flew with a guy that would repeatedly say "you always have to keep your head on a swivel when taxiing."

One day, we landed on 28 at BWI, rolling through the 15R/33L intersection. As we cleared, he pulled out his phone and called the boss to tell him something.

Head on a swivel...

Agree. And at larger airports, include all terminals and jetways and all ARFF station locations. I mean, Im not some Nazi or anything who would make them memorize something like how many ARFF trucks and what type. I could see some real • requiring that.

Agree. And at larger airports, include all terminals and jetways and all ARFF station locations. I mean, Im not some Nazi or anything who would make them memorize something like how many ARFF trucks and what type. I could see some real • requiring that.

No need to be a total d'bag. As long as they have the height of the control tower, the number of revolutions per minute the beacon rotates and it's location on the field, I'm happy. I try to keep it simple. No need to worry bout the little things.

This is my exact home base brief - 109.9 twice, 150 on the courses, 720 on the minima. Missed right turn 218 radial to 3000'. F40 Autobrake 3, idle reverse. Questions?

Bonus points for airport identification.

Somewhere new/crazy might turn into a bit of an epic as my company preaches the One True Brief, lasting 5 minutes or so.

Back