Briefing approaches?

I guess I have to admit being a computer geek. But Garmin's market share certainly reflects there are many others.

There are definitely things I dislike about the Garmin "flow." But that's true of everything electronic. Personally, I really like flying with the Garmin GTN touchscreen series even though I don't particularly like its similar flow iPad app.

I still prefer market disarray to an FAA imposed UI.
LOVE the 750! The "FMS" function is a hell of a lot easier and efficient than turning knobs.

Hardest part was learning where to rest fingers strategically to use it in turbulence. :)
465564_10100433998725165_1833605769_o.jpg

inb4 *pussification of freight dogging* :)

I have a feeling it's going to be a while (like years) until you do an IMC approach on the line.....not a bad thing obviously, just saying.....

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
I did more IMC flying in Hawaii than I ever did in Seattle. I was pretty surprised by that as well.

Yah... the Acronyms are good and all but really as simple as it sounds, your approach briefing is on your approach chart. Start at the top.. work your way down and add in a little common sense. Brief what approach you are doing first, make sure it is what you asked for and you should already have the weather and know what runway you are using and your minimums and cloud bases. Brief the Nav you are using and check it is set and correct, brief your runway distance and what is required for landing, then your comms and make sure they are set, then your approach plan... "How are you going to enter the approach, what altitudes, when will you turn, descend, etc" Brief your Missed approach point, FAF, missed approach instructions "weather given to you by ATC or whats on the chart".. then go over what you are going to tell ATC when they ask.. how the approach "should" terminate.. what are your minimums and is it a precision or non precision approach. Set in your minimums and load the approach if you have a glass applicable system. You should already have an idea of the NOTAMS and general area weather... (and as long as that briefing sounds, if you are prepared it should be about 2 min.) at the end, look over and make sure nothing looks out of place. (did you set your alt to the correct baro setting, is your heading indicator matching up to your compass, what are your altitude callouts, 1,000 to minimums, 500 to minimums and 100 to minimums...

Then take a deep breath and fly the approach.
... oh and dont crash the airplane lol

From reading this thread it seems that your approach briefing has normally been covered during flight briefing. You normally know where you are going, normally know what runway is in use and what approach to expect, as well as NOTAM briefing. Your approach is normally set in your FMGS, weather regularly checked and printed, and unless something really unexpected happens you are in familiar grounds. We go quickly over plate validity (date issued), where it starts, ends, go around procs... Nothing crazy, and certainly no information overload...

From reading this thread it seems that your approach briefing has normally been covered during flight briefing. You normally know where you are going, normally know what runway is in use and what approach to expect, as well as NOTAM briefing. Your approach is normally set in your FMGS, weather regularly checked and printed, and unless something really unexpected happens you are in familiar grounds. We go quickly over plate validity (date issued), where it starts, ends, go around procs... Nothing crazy, and certainly no information overload...
That's the ideal. The catch is that you need a reliable system for briefing the approach "on the fly" so to speak. Airports get turned around regularly, weather and other factors create diversions and the use of unplanned alternates. But even that briefing should be "Nothing crazy, and certainly no information overload..."

I'll try the flightschool way, which is basic but effective, maybe only single person appropriate.

W - weather (sim, actual)
A - ATIS, get it
R - Radios set-up (App, Twr etc)
N - Navaids - set-up
B - Brief Approach (our final approach course is X, descend no lower than Y (DH/MDA) our missed approach procedure is Z)
I - Intentions (full stop, touch and go)
F - Fuel, [GUMPS check, Clearance to Land, Fix (Time as needed)] etc

I'll try the flightschool way, which is basic but effective, maybe only single person appropriate.

W - weather (sim, actual)
A - ATIS, get it
R - Radios set-up (App, Twr etc)
N - Navaids - set-up
B - Brief Approach (our final approach course is X, descend no lower than Y (DH/MDA) our missed approach procedure is Z)
I - Intentions (full stop, touch and go)
F - Fuel, [GUMPS check, Clearance to Land, Fix (Time as needed)] etc
What part of that is not covered by the briefing strip? The I/F is a function of the ac checklist.

If by briefing strip you mean the 'title section' of the IAP - agreed, but I am going through the list and doing as I go (not head down) so the mnemonic helps me ensure I set-up each approach in the same manner. I have to look at the plate for all those things but WARNBIF is in my mind what leads it off. Maybe some people just do this without a mnemonic.

If by briefing strip you mean the 'title section' of the IAP - agreed, but I am going through the list and doing as I go (not head down) so the mnemonic helps me ensure I set-up each approach in the same manner. I have to look at the plate for all those things but WARNBIF is in my mind what leads it off. Maybe some people just do this without a mnemonic.
I'll admit to a definite anti-mnemonic bias that prejudices anything I say but I real have to ask this:

Do you (and I mean specifically you) really need a mnemonic to remember to:
  • W A — get the ATIS/AWOS/ASOS
  • R* — be speaking on the current frequency and change when they tell you and, to the extent you can, get the next likely frequency you'll need into the backup
  • N* — tune the ILS or VOR to the proper frequency and/or load the approach in a GPS
  • B — brief the approach before you actually fly it? :eek::aghast:
  • I — figure out whether you are planning to land or not :eek::aghast::aghast::aghast::aghast::aghast:
  • [F — maybe I'll give you this one; we can all use a reminder to switch tanks, although I let an in flight timer remind me of that every half hour]
BTW, if you don't need it but it just makes you more comfortable, that's OK too.

Since you questioned what the briefing strip was, just want to mention the asterisked items are part of it. The "briefing strip" was originally a Jepp invention created after paying attention to how professional pilots actually briefed the approach, NACO copied it. The goal was to get the most critical items together and at the top of the chart. You know, weather, navaid and communication frequencies, the final approach course, the glide slope of FAF intercept altitude, minimums, airport elevation, and missed approach. That kind of stuff.
Jepp-chart-example.jpg

BTW, if you don't need it but it just makes you more comfortable, that's OK too.

Last edited:
Most guys I fly with keep it simple by using the briefing strip, plus any unusual items. Two main things annoy me with briefs:

GA- guys who read out the communication frequencies- it really isn't necessary

Airline- guys who feel it necessary to talk about each of the 16 taxiways we'll be taking to the gate. Unless you're planning for an unusually long or short landing roll, all I care about is if we're vacating left or right; and at most airports it's pretty obvious.

Also never got the guys who'd give me the DME and altitude on each of the 7 or 8 fixes on the ILS to 24L at LAX. You're supposed to brief the approach plate, not read it out loud...

I guess it also depends on the type of a/c you fly and the environment. The Airbus makes it fairly easy to fly any kind of approach, not the same story in a 172. But wether in an Airbus or a 172, it all comes down to prepping and setting up at the right time, especially after a 10+ hour flight where fatigue starts to play its part...

Back