Boring sorta buys Embraer

No, but if you get a break in power transfer, both VIAs can lock up and you lose both Honeywell boxes and have no way of changing your TO waypoint or loading an approach.

I suppose that’s possible. Never personally experienced it, though. But the beauty is, no matter what happens with all those 1s and 0s, you’ve got direct mechanical control of the flight surfaces. The way it was when men were men.

Last edited:
On at 100’, off at 80’?*

*bonus points to those who know it. Good grief I’m a nerd....

It's "technically" on at 100' AGL anyway on the Airbus if you really want to joust about it! :)

No idea now. At the time they hand flew through 10k and then back down from 10k, often with bird on instead of the flight director.

If the guy I’m flying with consistently clicked the AP off at 10k feet on the way down we’d have a talk.

From my observation there’s 2 types of excessive hand-fliers: the trying to be cool/i like to fly types and guys who are using it as a crutch bc they suck with the automation. Don’t be either.

If the guy I’m flying with consistently clicked the AP off at 10k feet on the way down we’d have a talk.

From my observation there’s 2 types of excessive hand-fliers: the trying to be cool/i like to fly types and guys who are using it as a crutch bc they suck with the automation. Don’t be either.

I agree. But prepare for incoming. The handflying mafia is about to come after you. ;)

I had a copilot who was new to the jet and would literally turn everything off when he got himself into a corner.

And he sucked at hand-flying too.

If the person j was flying with wanted to “talk” because I was hand-flying the airplane, I’d say “cool story, bro.”

If they insisted, I’d say “If it matters that much to you, then you have the flight controls.”

Fortunately, I fly with good pilots and good
people, and so it hasn’t ever been an issue.

-Fox

Back