Boring sorta buys Embraer

The only problem with being an Airbus hater is, if that person goes on to actually fly an Airbus, there's a 99% probability they're going to have to take back just about anything and everything bad they'd said about the thing.

It's not that the pilot Airbus supporters here or anywhere are that infatuated with it. It's an airplane. It's just that you really can't find that much wrong with it, yet it's a 30 year old design.

Since then, have any group of civil aviation engineers been as forward thinking and revolutionary as the designers of this thing must have been?

View attachment 43960

I mean really, Boeing.

Try to keep up.

A year into flying Fifi and I've got plenty of complaints about design decisions that were made with the aircraft, starting with the POS FMS.

A year into flying Fifi and I've got plenty of complaints about design decisions that were made with the aircraft, starting with the POS FMS.

A vast majority of your problems are with the Honeywell box. We had that on the 330 when I was on it and it BLEW MASSIVE CHUNKS.

Thales, on the other side, makes Pegasus look like a round dial 737-200. Sorry @MikeD !

A vast majority of your problems are with the Honeywell box. We had that on the 330 when I was on it and it BLEW MASSIVE CHUNKS.

Thales, on the other side, makes Pegasus look like a round dial 737-200. Sorry @MikeD !

Problems are problems none the less. I can't walk into HQ and DEMAND they make changes because I don't like their purchasing decisions.

I've been to em all pretty much. At least the ones in the beginning. I don't think that I've been back to one since 2013.

Yeah, @ATN_Pilot, is a church mouse in person.

Eh, like I always say, that depends upon the discussion. If we’re sitting around talking about sports, yeah, I won’t be saying much and just sipping my scotch. Bring up politics, though, and that’s s different story. :)

Because you can’t drop fixes into the scratch pad?

No, that's annoying, but not the end of the world.

How about the box scrolls backwards but the ACARS scrolls forwards?

It's slow.

It's a from box.

PAGE UPDATE IN PROGRESS.

Geometric VNAV.

Speed window in managed descent, where if she misjudges the TOD and gets too fast, she'll give up the VNAV path to maintain speed? Who thought that was a good idea?

No HSI.

Thrust levers don't move.

Though someone finally showed me how to trick it into intercepting a LOC course in NAV, so that's nice.

It's also roomy and lands easy, so that's nice.

Last edited:
Speed window in managed descent, where if she misjudges the TOD and gets too fast, she'll give up the VNAV path to maintain speed? Who thought that was a good idea?
Er, even the Compost Wonder Jet does that, if memory serves.

Or did you never see a reversion from PTH to FLCH and a corresponding "halp" in the scratchpad in that thing?

See, this agrees with what I think about the Airbus.

I'm not an Airbus nerd infatuated with the thing. But they have the competition beat in many ways.

Would they design the thrust levers to move if they designed it from scratch today and Airbus family commonality wasn't an issue? Sure, they might. Maybe linked side sticks, too.

They might change around the FMS a little, who knows. Although what I read above seems to be the type of the FMS box as much as anything else.

Would they design the plane to overspeed instead of going above the flight path, if the pilot has failed to notice that the speed is at the +20 knots side of the bracket, and still has not added any drag? I really don't know about this one, I think it's fine as-is.

But what I don't hear people saying about the Airbus is stuff like:

"My back problems that had gone away ten years ago came back, I see a chiropractor sometimes after a trip."

"My suitcase is in the first/coach bulkhead closet behind all the flight attendant bags, just go ahead and I'll see you at our next gate."

"Would you hand me the logbook please, I'm going to eat."

"These fans are so loud, I wish we had a hot mic."

"There's no air coming out of this thing, what weak packs . . . "

"Yeah it's a good jet, but a little more legroom would be nice."

"Last week we had a guy in the second jumpseat for a three hour flight, and upon arrival he collapsed on his way up the jetbridge."

"Sorry but we only have one jumpseat, and no luggage space even for that one."

Autothrottles that provide no tactile or visual indication of their moving.
No tactile feedback on the stick.
Dual control inputs that average each other out.
Different "laws" that behave differently than normal airplanes.

Etc.
Damn ATN, you're such a hater but it's only because you're a purest. If you had your way Delta would be the only AIR LINE and the 9 would be the only airplane. That said, as much as I hate your opinion ( because you're open to nothing ) I honestly respect it.

Well, actually, there's a trim switch on the EMB-175, and it has FBW.
The pitch sure, but it was a Friday afternoon and the boss wanted the airplane completed so they just ran a few aileron cables intending to come back on Monday and fix it.

Unfortunately when the engineers came back on Monday the boss had told them, "surprise we sold your airplane!" There begins the legend of the mighty E-Jets and the aileron cables.

The pitch sure, but it was a Friday afternoon and the boss wanted the airplane completed so they just ran a few aileron cables intending to come back on Monday and fix it.

Unfortunately when the engineers came back on Monday the boss had told them, "surprise we sold your airplane!" There begins the legend of the mighty E-Jets and the aileron cables.
Mmmm. Potable water in places there should be no water, and those cables. Mmmm.

Back