Booked my “first” lesson!

Well that and flying at 60 knots.

When the airbus is at 30 feet it noses down to force the pilot to flare. The flare in the 172 is at like 5 feet. So the sight picture is way different. You feel like you’re way too low, too slow, and it’s slightly panic inducing.

Happened to me my first time back in light GA planes in a few years, but it was on takeoff.

Me: "Passing 1,000."
CFI: "Ahh...That's 100."
Me: *Mother of God what am I doing?*

Took and passed my pre-solo test today with flying colors. Was going to do 1 lap around the pattern with my CFI and assuming I didn’t eff it up was going to solo. Started my takeoff roll, instantly noticed something didn’t feel right, saw was only getting maybe 2100rpm, so aborted takeoff. Tried some more run ups on the tarmac but never anything more than 2100rpm. So no solo today =(. Gotta wait til next Wednesday now which will be 2 weeks between flights. Yuck.

What model of 172? What did it turn out to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got my shirt cut today at 16.2 hours

980F7620-3DD4-434C-9632-1A965F69C6BA.jpeg

I've been talking to my step-daughter about going to Florida and having her get me recurrent in a piston single. It's been 9 years since my last flight in one.

First cross country trip in the books. ISP-GON-ISP. Great day for a flight today. Also I hate the E6B. Need to really kick everything into high gear hoping to get this done before the winter weather sets in and I won’t be able to fly again til March .
What's wrong with the E6B? There isn't any sorcery involved in using it accurately. The instructions are literally printed on it. I highly doubt I could just pick one up tonight and be proficient considering how long it's been since I used one, but back when I used one regularly it was something I liked doing.

First cross country trip in the books. ISP-GON-ISP. Great day for a flight today. Also I hate the E6B. Need to really kick everything into high gear hoping to get this done before the winter weather sets in and I won’t be able to fly again til March .

You know that they have electronic ones, right? Just sayin'.

What's wrong with the E6B? There isn't any sorcery involved in using it accurately. The instructions are literally printed on it. I highly doubt I could just pick one up tonight and be proficient considering how long it's been since I used one, but back when I used one regularly it was something I liked doing.

It’s not difficult, I just don’t like it.

Some day we are going to have to ask ourselves if we really need to be using the e6b

With all the different kinds of GPS and flight planning stuff etc so easily available now it reminds me of my high school math teachers saying “you’ll never have a calculator on you at all times!”

With all the different kinds of GPS and flight planning stuff etc so easily available now it reminds me of my high school math teachers saying “you’ll never have a calculator on you at all times!”
I have a buddy that I've been giving lessons. An iPad app absolutely will do most of the work for you. However, learning how to be good with a manual computer leads to a better understanding of the basics.

I tell him honestly that other than training, I don't plot out cross country flights. How he's learning now is not how he'll do it once he's out in the wild. However, doing it this way lays the groundwork for real understanding, and develops that Spidey sense for when something seems a bit off.

Finally, I have two or three Jeppesen CR manual computers. One is in my iPad bag, and one is on the door pocket of my 140. I still use them. Like paper and pencil, sometimes it's just faster and easier to use.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back