Booked my “first” lesson!

172s are the most suck-ass planes to land in the GA training fleet.

There are far better and easier planes to land.

Yeah. I said it. Fight me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I was never a big fan, but the 172s at our school were about 1,700lbs if I remember right.

It’s been 19 years since my first solo and the last time I flew. Finally in a place to afford it again and have my first lesson next Tuesday! Hoping to have my ppl before the start of hunting season. Flying with Mid Island Air Service out of ISP in a C172R.

Finally gonna be one of the “cool guys”’ again, huh? :biggrin:

Kidding! Have fun!

Please don’t make me hold coming into EWR this Friday evening....:confused2:

What ya talking bout Willis? The C172s were easy to land, they had those nice squeaky gear struts that made for easy smooth landings. The Cherokee was hard, oleo piston whatever gear struts.
The air-oil shock absorber was harder than the spring steel? That only happens when you compress the shock so much that it runs out of travel.

Do you have some additional information you'd like to add about your Cherokee landings?

Congrats man fly safe!! Don’t let NYC ATC bully you too much, they’re kinda mean like that. :)

I thought the piper Seminole was a crap landing airplane every time, the cessnas were either greasy or... boing boingy, if that’s even a term or word lol

Flight was rained out today. Next one booked for Thursday but it’s supposed to be still raining. It’s rained practically every day for the last 3 weeks and it’s supposed to be still raining through at least next weekend. I hate LI “spring”.

That GD -145 muscle memory habit took me years to break. :mad:
Does the thing land in space shuttle attitude? I was having fun on the CRJ with that after EMB505. Best damn no flap landings that sim has ever seen though. Or so I'm told :smoke:

Does the thing land in space shuttle attitude? I was having fun on the CRJ with that after EMB505. Best damn no flap landings that sim has ever seen though. Or so I'm told :smoke:
It lands with a little nose up attitude but the big thing is once the mains touch, the noses comes real down fast. So you get in the habit of, as soon as the mains touch and nose drops a bit, to yank back on the control column to not smash the nose gear down.

Not at all. The elevator is the size of a Penny board so it can be tricky keeping the front from crashing into the runway after landing the back

The air-oil shock absorber was harder than the spring steel? That only happens when you compress the shock so much that it runs out of travel.

Do you have some additional information you'd like to add about your Cherokee landings?

Ever Piper product I've flown has had sticky struts which made for clunky landings. I've had much better luck across brands with the spring steel. Mooney rubber pucks are a thing of beauty when the right technique is used. Even I can get greasers!

Back