Boeing just revealed an autonomous plane that can refuel fighter jets in midair

Oxman

1513863398622.png

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...-fighter-jets-in-midair/ar-BBH5ulj?li=BBnbfcL

Boeing just revealed an autonomous plane that can refuel fighter jets in midair, possibly extending their range by up to 400 miles, according to a GeekWire report.

The MQ-25 Stingray is Boeing's entry in a competition held by the US Navy for self-flying aircraft that can refuel fighter planes like the Boeing EA-18G Growler, Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet, and Lockheed Martin F-35C. Boeing will have to beat out Lockheed Martin and General Atomics to win the contract, which is expected to be announced in September 2018.
“Boeing has been delivering carrier aircraft to the Navy for almost 90 years,” Don ‘BD’ Gaddis, who is leading Boeing's efforts to make refueling aircraft, said in a statement on the company's website. “Our expertise gives us confidence in our approach. We will be ready for flight testing when the engineering and manufacturing development contract is awarded.”

The MQ-25 Stingray can carry 15,000 pounds of fuel at a range of up to 500 miles. Boeing is testing the aircraft's engine before moving on to more comprehensive tests in 2018.
Winning the US Navy contract would be good news for Boeing, as the company was recently beat out by Airbus on a $25 billion sale to Delta.

For probe and drogue refueling (as alluded to here with the USN aircraft), where the tanker plane reels put a drogue and the receiver does the plug into that drogue, a drone that flies an orbit or straight line would likely work without much hassle at all.

Now when they say autonomous here do they mean literally autonomous, as in program the route and wave goodbye, or will there be someone sitting in a chair somewhere actually flying it through a video screen?

Glad the KC-46 just came up online.

Now when they say autonomous here do they mean literally autonomous, as in program the route and wave goodbye, or will there be someone sitting in a chair somewhere actually flying it through a video screen?

I would imagine they mean autonomous in the way that the RQ-4 is autonomous. Press a button that says's takeoff and it takes off, is monitored in cruise by an operator at all times, press a button that says land and it lands. Would love to hear from someone that knows more though.

Last edited:

I would imagine they mean autonomous in the way that the RQ-4 is autonomous. Press a button that says's takeoff and it takes off, is monitored in cruise by an operator at all times, press a button that says land and it lands. Would love to hear from someone that knows more though.

Soooo it's actually Airbus?

You bring up an excellent point! However, I think I would actually like to see the autonomous ground fueling....
The most time I've ever sworn in an aircraft is in a FARP. Good grief there is a lot of dumb congregated there.

The best FARP by far is Marine run. The not-so-best is Army run. Contractors are in between.

Unless the Night Stalkers come calling, I'll never aerial refuel. Maybe I can convince the sim guy to set up a scenario...

For probe and drogue refueling (as alluded to here with the USN aircraft), where the tanker plane reels put a drogue and the receiver does the plug into that drogue, a drone that flies an orbit or straight line would likely work without much hassle at all.
Would this have helped during that one refueling you had in low IMC on min fuel?

15K of give? This little guy is meant to hang out over the ship and pass a couple thousand to guys who bolter and have to get back in the conga line. If it works, it'll be worth every penny since it gives the carrier back a couple of airframes and aviators carrying weapons instead of passing gas. It'll be important that it be able to get back aboard with a pitching deck since that's the situation where it'll be needed the most.

If it can land in 700' then it can also be used for the F-35B off the LHD (instead of the current plan which is to give the Osprey the AAR mission) ::shudder::.

The most time I've ever sworn in an aircraft is in a FARP. Good grief there is a lot of dumb congregated there.

The best FARP by far is Marine run. The not-so-best is Army run. Contractors are in between.

Unless the Night Stalkers come calling, I'll never aerial refuel. Maybe I can convince the sim guy to set up a scenario...
Well the Army doesn't exactly fill that MOS with the best of the best; most of the time it's the last stop before discharge due to misconduct!

as for this, I want to see the autonomous refueling plane take off from "A", land at "B", taxi up, extend it's probe to a parked fighter, pump fuel, taxi out, and then return home. Now THAT would be impressive!

"In todays unintentionally erotic defense industry news…" :)

Would this have helped during that one refueling you had in low IMC on min fuel?

That was boom refueling, where the receiver gets plugged by a boom operator, so this may not have made a difference as the boom would have to be extra technology to make that autonomous and replace the human boom operator in the back of the jet. But if that could be engineered, then heck yes that could've helped if the drone could be there and I could rejoin with it.

15K of give? This little guy is meant to hang out over the ship and pass a couple thousand to guys who bolter and have to get back in the conga line. If it works, it'll be worth every penny since it gives the carrier back a couple of airframes and aviators carrying weapons instead of passing gas. It'll be important that it be able to get back aboard with a pitching deck since that's the situation where it'll be needed the most.

If it can land in 700' then it can also be used for the F-35B off the LHD (instead of the current plan which is to give the Osprey the AAR mission) ::shudder::.

Can the Harrier do a buddy store and some externals and tank others?

Back