"Bob The Salesman" At Pan Am's Phoenix Campus

User997

\"Bob The Salesman\" At Pan Am\'s Phoenix Campus

Anyone out there have any great stories about "Bob the Salesman" at Pan Am's Phoenix Campus?? Everyone I've talked to has had a different story to tell about him, and the things he said when they went in for their tour.

I've heard everything from he use to be a corporate pilot flying around celebrities, to him being a 747 and MD80 pilot, to him test flying helicopters for one of the major manufacturers! And if you look at the official Pan Am site, his bio lists him having been in the military most of his career.

This guys sounds worse then a used car salesman, and from talking to people, will tell you anything you want to hear to get you into Pan Am.

I was wondering if there were any other Pan Am'ers or people who have taken his 5 HOUR tour that has any funny or interesting things to share with the group!

Re: \"Bob The Salesman\" At Pan Am\'s Phoenix Campus

Isn't Bob a former captain of a space shuttle?

I have a friend who attends Pan Am. He said on his tour, the salesman guy told him Pan Am only flies low wing aircraft, because that's what the airlines fly. He's right though. Airlines don't fly Dash 8's, ATRs, DO328s, etc.
mad.gif

Fukoki... I think your right about him previously flying the space shuttle... just ask him!

And when I went on my tour, I got that "low wing" line also. That thought about Dash 8's, and ATR's slipped into my head as well.

I also got blatant lies from him too about how the CRJ sim which he makes the focal point of his tour. Someone asked why such a nice simulator didn't have any sound, and he said the sound card was an extra $200,000 but they have one on order, and by the time we get their it should be installed. Well that was 10 months ago... and the machine still sits silent...

And I know thats a "little" lie, but its the principle involved here...

I am glad that we have piper low wing aircraft because Bob is right. These planes are much more like the 737,757,777,767,747, crj and other big, heavy and fast airplanes than the cessnas!
I bet we are going to have a much easier time transitioning to those jets then people who learned to fly cessnas.
They crazy thing is, the overzealous prospective flight student believes that load of crap. The fact remains that low wing aircraft just look cooler.

What extra sound do you need in the CRJ sim? Isn't the sound in your own head of your money being spent at over $2/min enough? No big deal though, since all you ACE grads are going to the airlines with 800 hours. Maybe you should ask some of the 1500 hour CFIs for some perspective, but make it quick before Pan Am has to fire all it's experienced people to make room for brand new instructors with "guaranteed jobs".

I think that it would be funnier to sit there and make your own sounds. rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkweeeeeeeeew At least that's what I think.

wink.gif

Dave

I was told the CRJ sim in Arizona was loggable time and that Pan Am ordered the piper's special with the rocker throttle quadrant because the airlines were that way. Plus enough BS to get me to finally withdrawl and pursue other avenues of flying.

What's a rocker throttle quadrant?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
What's a rocker throttle quadrant?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's what Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) uses to make the plane go fast.

Dave

Umm, yeah, but I've never in my natural born life heard anything referred to as a "rocker throttle quadrant".

You should know Doug, it is what the airlines use. just ask Bob.

Can someone take a digital photo of the special throttle quadrant?

Is it just the standard piper throttle? I mean, as compared to the pushrod-style cessna throttle?

When you tour does Bob tell you about the $2,000 out clause or that Pan Am DOESN'T guarantee a job at the school or with an airline?

Nothing special.... its just the standard Piper throttle quadrant... No one at FPR campus ever told me about not being able to log CRJ sim time until after I signed the infamous contract either... which I didnt know about until after I signed a one year lease at my apartment....&lt;sigh&gt;.... but hey, our planes have throttle quadrants like the airliners!!! Woo Hoo
crazy.gif

So the basic standard Piper throttle quadrant.

Strange how Bob would mention that about the throttle quadrants when it really doesn't make a difference. I've flown all sorts of single and multi-engine aircraft and I really don't think any particular model prepared me more than the other.

This Bob guy sounds like a comic!

Sorry about the confusion basically pipers standard set up as compared to the cessna layout of throttle props and mixture. Needless to say I was as confused just as much. Try being excited about flying and getting this amount of BS. Pan Am has one thing going for them, equipment and facilities at least in Phoenix are top notch.

It absolutely AMAZES and APPAULS me that a business (make no mistake, all flight schools are businesses despite the fact they teach you a skill) can ask you to spend $60-$70K without letting you see the contract!!!!! Does anybody else not see the BALLS that this takes on Pan AM's part or the stupidity of the customer who would spend so much money without being able to see the legally binding contract before committing the money???

How in God's name can a business practice like that be allowed to persist?

Doesn't make any sense......sorry for the rant.

Back