Biz Jet Accident - Fatal 8 - 17 Aug 2023

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
Date:17-AUG-2023
Time:c. 14:49
Type:
Silhouette image of generic PRM1 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Raytheon 390 Premier I
Owner/operator:Jetvalet Sdn Bhd
MSN:RB-97
Fatalities:Fatalities: 8 / Occupants: 8
Other fatalities:2
Aircraft damage:Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Category:Accident
Location:near Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport (SZB/WMSA), Elmina, Selangor -
9M.gif
Malaysia
Phase:Approach
Nature:Private
Departure airport:Langkawi Airport (LGK/WMKL)
Destination airport:Kuala Lumpur-Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport (SZB/WMSA)
Confidence Rating:
CR3.svg
Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
Narrative:
On August 17, 2023, at about 1449 local time, a Beechcraft 390 Premier 1 jet, N28JV, was destroyed when it impacted a highway while on approach to Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport (SZB/WMSA), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
The two pilots, six passengers and two people on the ground perished in the accident.

Preliminary information indicates that the aircraft first contacted the SZB ATC at 1447 local time, a landing clearance was given at 1448, and three minutes later, the ATC noticed smoke coming from the crash site. Online photos and a car dashcam indicates the airplane impacted the ground at a high rate of descent, bursting into flames. The wreckage was highly fragmentated and spread over the highway and a wooded area.

Two on ground killed also. Dash cam video shown the jet vertical before accident.

IMG_0942.jpeg

IMG_0941.jpeg

Last edited:
One of the ground fatalities was a motorcyclist who got doused in burning jet fuel and burned alive.

Sad and unfortunate.

That one reminds me of the KC-135 crash at Fairchild AFB, WA in 1987 while doing patterns and airshow flyby practice. The boom operator for that flight went DNIF (grounded that day for a medical, blocked ears or a cold or something) and was replaced by another boom operator. As the KC-135 was doing its pattern work and hit the wake turbulence of a B-52, the DNIF boom operator was driving his own car around the airfield perimeter road to go to the clinic, when the out of control KC-135 impacted the ground right where he was driving on the road, killing the KC-135 crew, and him on the ground.

Final destination stuff right there.

Sad and unfortunate.

That one reminds me of the KC-135 crash at Fairchild AFB, WA in 1987 while doing patterns and airshow flyby practice. The boom operator for that flight went DNIF (grounded that day for a medical, blocked ears or a cold or something) and was replaced by another boom operator. As the KC-135 was doing its pattern work and hit the wake turbulence of a B-52, the DNIF boom operator was driving his own car around the airfield perimeter road to go to the clinic, when the out of control KC-135 impacted the ground right where he was driving on the road, killing the KC-135 crew, and him on the ground.

Probably had a John Denver tape playing in the car too.

Interesting place for a shorter ranged N-registered jet to be.

Lots of good reasons.

Some countries are pushing for domestic companies to use domestic pilots. Twenty years ago, Saudis pushed for Saudi pilots and a bunch of folks decided to move to US registration and park in Bahrain. The Saudis backed off as many of the owners were prominent princes. The same thing is happening in other countries.

In some cases, leasing companies don’t want certain registrations.

Also, a plane that has worn an N-number it’s entire life is likely to have higher resale.

Not sure if it’s an issue now but some countries forced you to use the local licensed vendor for a product. If you had Garmin, you had to use the domestic vendor. Garmin USA would project the foreign vendor.

Sad and unfortunate.

Wasn't there one in CA back in the 60s or 70s where a fighter jet missed the runway, or slid off, hit some poles/garbage cans of a restaurant, split up, and threw the fuel tanks straight into the restaurant where people got lit up. A bunch of fatalities.

Wasn't there one in CA back in the 60s or 70s where a fighter jet missed the runway, or slid off, hit some poles/garbage cans of a restaurant, split up, and threw the fuel tanks straight into the restaurant where people got lit up. A bunch of fatalities.

That was the F-86 into the Farrell’s ice cream parlor in 1972 at Sacramento Executive on a takeoff runway overrun

Yea wow.

“Twenty-two people died, including twelve children.[5] An eight-year-old survivor of the accident lost nine family members: both parents, two brothers, a sister, two grandparents and two cousins. A family of four also died in the accident. Two people were killed in the car struck on Freeport Boulevard. Immediately after the crash an elderly couple trying to cross the street to the crash site were struck by a vehicle, killing the wife.[6] The crash could have claimed many more lives if the external fuel tanks had not ruptured prior to impact, or if the jet had not been slowed by hitting the moving car and other vehicles parked in front of the restaurant. Bingham, the pilot, suffered a broken leg and a broken arm.”

That was the F-86 into the Farrell’s ice cream parlor in 1972 at Sacramento Executive on a takeoff runway overrun

Was before my time, but we had a Farrell's in my hometown, which was of course also a local favorite for birthday parties.....the the siren and the big drum and all that stuff. Somehow I knew about this accident, and I wondered as a child if another airplane would crash into this Farrell's. I had some weird phobias as a kid I guess :)

Really tragic accident though, both that one and this one

Was before my time, but we had a Farrell's in my hometown, which was of course also a local favorite for birthday parties.....the the siren and the big drum and all that stuff. Somehow I knew about this accident, and I wondered as a child if another airplane would crash into this Farrell's. I had some weird phobias as a kid I guess :)

Really tragic accident though, both that one and this one

Yeah, the birthdays were great. I remember them delivering birthday cakes in a stretcher-like table, exaggerating the turns, dangerous bank angles.

Yeah, the birthdays were great. I remember them delivering birthday cakes in a stretcher-like table, exaggerating the turns, dangerous bank angles.
It was called "The Zoo" and it was a 5 gallon pail of ice cream and treats delivered on a WWII style stretcher by a bunch of overly exuberant young employees. When you were poor as a young kid and you got invited to a birthday party at Farrells or Chuck E. Cheese you thought you'd made it into the cool kids club.

Edit to add: I think the last time I witnessed these things the young men carrying the stretcher were wearing hard hats with rotating beacons on top.

It was called "The Zoo" and it was a 5 gallon pail of ice cream and treats delivered on a WWII style stretcher by a bunch of overly exuberant young employees. When you were poor as a young kid and you got invited to a birthday party at Farrells or Chuck E. Cheese you thought you'd made it into the cool kids club.
I hesitated when I wrote cake, was about to write ice cream but that didn’t seem to make sense for a bunch of kids. A five gallon pail of ice cream makes sense. Thanks for refreshing the memory.

Back