Be careful....

When I was a kid, it felt like it was something people actually played after a bad card game. That, plus I thought I had a 100% chance of having to, at one point in my life, escape quicksand and make huge jumps with dirt bikes.

"This is SERIOUS, Byron, we're going to have to do this one day, pay attention!"

Only if you're lucky...
10102022ALineMoonbooterEMU236.jpg

When I was a kid, it felt like it was something people actually played after a bad card game. That, plus I thought I had a 100% chance of having to, at one point in my life, escape quicksand and make huge jumps with dirt bikes.

"This is SERIOUS, Byron, we're going to have to do this one day, pay attention!"

Ooops' I just noticed quicksand was actually the underpinning of the Piranha post.

muppet-muppet-show.gif

Not again?

Date:22-FEB-2023
Time:18:56 LT
Type:
Silhouette image of generic CRJ9 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Bombardier CRJ-900LR
Owner/operator:Mesa Airlines, opf American Eagle
MSN:15375
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants:
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:None
N.gif
United States of America
Phase:Approach
Nature:Passenger - Scheduled
Departure airport:Phoenix-Sky Harbor International Airport, AZ (PHX/KPHX)
Destination airport:Hollywood Burbank Airport, CA (BUR/KBUR)
Confidence Rating:
CR3.svg
Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
Narrative:
American flight AA5826, a CRJ-900LR (N954LR), and United flight UA5326, an Embraer ERJ-175 (N619UX), were involved in an incident at Hollywood Burbank Airport, CA (BUR).

The air traffic controller cleared UA5326 to take off from runway 33 while the approaching CRJ-900 was around on short final to the same runway.
The CRJ-900 discontinued the approach and initiate a climb out. At the same time the ERJ-175 continued with its departure.
The controller then instructed the CRJ-900 to turn 30 degrees to the left for separation but the flight responded that they were first complying with a TCAS-RA alert on the CRJ-900.

AA5826 circled and landed safely. UA5326 continued to the destiation.

Weather reported about the time of the incident (0256Z, Feb. 23)
KBUR 230253Z VRB06KT 10SM BKN035 08/00 A2987 RMK AO2 SLP112 T00780000 53020
KBUR 230353Z 22006KT 10SM FEW033 BKN110 07/M01 A2987 RMK AO2 SLP113 T00721011

Sources:

Mesa Airlines Flight was forced to halt landing to avoid collision with a departing plane
Live Flight Tracker - Real-Time Flight Tracker Map | Flightradar24
https://archive.liveatc.net/kbur/KBUR3-Gnd-Twr-App-Feb-23-2023-0230Z.mp3

Not trying to excuse what happened there, that’s wild. But landing and departing 33 at BUR happens maybe a few times a year, it’s not normal at all. They’re generally timing departures off 15 there between arrivals on 8. But if they really launched someone w ASH on 1.3 mile final that seems really strange.

There’s def something going on w the FAA though. Like we’ve said before, the results of years and years of overwork and needing to certify anybody that shows up may be rearing its ugly head. If only somebody would actually do something before the holes in the Swiss cheese line up and the inevitable disaster actually happens. Sure seems like we’re coming close.

I still remember ATC hiring changing by not taking those who were ATC school and changing the app to ask what sport you played in high school.

I can only assume this deterioration is at least somewhat a result. Just like the handling of the Eva 777 at LAX.

I’ve heard a few stories and they are scary. You know someone you think “dang, this guy shouldn’t be driving cars let alone flying jets.” Well the same thing exists for controllers.

I still remember ATC hiring changing by not taking those who were ATC school and changing the app to ask what sport you played in high school.

I can only assume this deterioration is at least somewhat a result. Just like the handling of the Eva 777 at LAX.

I’ve heard a few stories and they are scary. You know someone you think “dang, this guy shouldn’t be driving cars let alone flying jets.” Well the same thing exists for controllers.

The FAA went woke on their ATC hiring criteria, just like United with their AVIATE nonsense.

Back