Be careful....

Yikes.

What the hell is with WN lately?

Who called the abort? PM?

Sure sounds like an ATC error to me. Cleared SWA holding short for takeoff with traffic 3 mile final? Safe to assume with those RVR’s tower couldn’t even see the end of the runway.

I think the FDX voice called the SWA abort.

——-———————-

FedEx flight FX1432, a Boeing 767-32LF (N297FE), and Southwest Airlines WN708, a Boeing 737-79P (N7827A), were involved in a runway incursion incident at Austin Airport.

Flight FX1432 had been cleared to land on runway 18L. Subsequently, the controller issued a takeoff clearance to WN708 "...runway 18L cleared for takeoff traffic three mile final a heavy 767." WN708 read back the clearance.
FX1432 subsequently requested confirmation that they were cleared to land, which was confirmed by the controller, adding a 737 was departing.
Due to insufficient spacing, FX1432 executed a go around, overflying WN708. FX1432 then made a left-hand turn over the end of the runway and landed following a second approach. WN708 made a right hand course change and continued to the flight to Cancún.

Visibility (Runway Visual Range - RVR) at the time of the incident was reported by the controller as 1200 feet at the runway 18L threshold, 600 feet at the mid point and 1600 feet at the end of the runway,

Last edited:
Lots of holes in the Swiss cheese lined up here. I'm sure we'll all be studying th is one in recurrent for years to come just like the Providence low visibility taxi incursion a few decades ago when Metrojet declined the takeoff clearance because the UAL 757 didn't know where he was on the field.

Lots of holes in the Swiss cheese lined up here. I'm sure we'll all be studying th is one in recurrent for years to come just like the Providence low visibility taxi incursion a few decades ago when Metrojet declined the takeoff clearance because the UAL 757 didn't know where he was on the field.

We had to study that Providence incursion in both ATP/CTP and in Indoc. Setting the brake and declining that TO clearance saved hundreds of lives. Fascinating to listen to the audio on it.

I'm wondering if the 767 went around based on SA and looking at the TCAS or did they see the 737 in the EFVS.

I was wondering about the EFVS too. What would it actually look like if there was a plane on the runway in 1/8sm vis? There aren't any good youtube videos showing what it looks like since every system seems to work totally differently.

I was wondering about the EFVS too. What would it actually look like if there was a plane on the runway in 1/8sm vis? There aren't any good youtube videos showing what it looks like since every system seems to work totally differently.
In wet particulate at least in our airplane it does marginally better but not as much as you would think. Hopefully we get a debrief that can be shared.

I'm sure the AI fanboys will claim this as a check in their column even though a human saved the day this time.

Back