B737 Talk

Speaking of 737 roll…..From having sat in the back, it looks like the ailerons barely do anything. It’s all spoiler…. Also up front, the roll control looks like a wet noodle. Are they just ineffective or typical over controlling?

Speaking of 737 roll…..From having sat in the back, it looks like the ailerons barely do anything. It’s all spoiler…. Also up front, the roll control looks like a wet noodle. Are they just ineffective or typical over controlling?

When my buddy from Boeing told me that normal ops were 1/4 wheel or less I was surprised. I barely move the yoke maybe an 1/8th? Usually I get it trimmed during the climb and just barely touch the yoke with one or two fingers. Flying the aircraft so the passengers barely feel anything like a corporate aircraft is possible but it requires being patient. You can't make the first high speed without shoving faces into the seatback. If traffic allows I'm getting to the point where landings feel relatively calm and smooth to the passengers.

When my buddy from Boeing told me that normal ops were 1/4 wheel or less I was surprised. I barely move the yoke maybe an 1/8th? Usually I get it trimmed during the climb and just barely touch the yoke with one or two fingers. Flying the aircraft so the passengers barely feel anything like a corporate aircraft is possible but it requires being patient. You can't make the first high speed without shoving faces into the seatback. If traffic allows I'm getting to the point where landings feel relatively calm and smooth to the passengers.
I'm of the opinion that a relatively large percentage of the 121 pilot group (present company excepted) are unaware of this concept.

I'm of the opinion that a relatively large percentage of the 121 pilot group (present company excepted) are unaware of this concept.

If it does something weird, like abrupt pitch over or level off, its usually the vnav being bad.

Former corp guy who now is 121.

It's definitely a peeve of mine when I am DHing and someone tries to make N on 16R at SEA and I have to brace against the seat in front of me. I'm so impressed you made N in a full 900. Now we can wait for 30 minutes for a gate. Congratulations!

Having a little situational awareness and not being in a rush probably would fix 90% of what I'm feeling in the back that could only be described as atrocious. I mean it's cool that it is go home day and all but maybe at least consider someone other than yourself for a minute or two?

It's worse when there is a 50/50 chance the gate is occupied anyhow.

Also please let the engines go to idle before stowing the TRs it fixes almost all of the lurching.

Rollin cool with the old school…..

0F47F732-2B82-42F2-95A3-B9FC7353BA0A.jpeg
6474E5FB-7D7B-439A-93D4-3F64F5EC7F0D.jpeg
76C06060-D6FB-43A1-8C3C-2DAAC9668C1B.jpeg

It's definitely a peeve of mine when I am DHing and someone tries to make N on 16R at SEA and I have to brace against the seat in front of me. I'm so impressed you made N in a full 900. Now we can wait for 30 minutes for a gate. Congratulations!

Having a little situational awareness and not being in a rush probably would fix 90% of what I'm feeling in the back that could only be described as atrocious. I mean it's cool that it is go home day and all but maybe at least consider someone other than yourself for a minute or two?

It's worse when there is a 50/50 chance the gate is occupied anyhow.

Also please let the engines go to idle before stowing the TRs it fixes almost all of the lurching.

Sorry you keep having to DH on my legs. I brief AB MAX and LTP of 500 ft on all runways. Max reverse until wheel stop. I make N on 34L

When my buddy from Boeing told me that normal ops were 1/4 wheel or less I was surprised. I barely move the yoke maybe an 1/8th?

1/4 wheel or less, except when you’re landing in MDW with the winds screaming. Then all bets are off.

And I was a corporate guy (91 Fortune 500) for almost a decade too, so I do try to give them a smooth ride.

1/4 wheel or less, except when you’re landing in MDW with the winds screaming. Then all bets are off.

And I was a corporate guy (91 Fortune 500) for almost a decade too, so I do try to give them a smooth ride.

Oh, I'm sure I look like I'm racing DH bikes when I'm landing at Ketchikan.

Back