B737 Talk

Here's one for you guys that I haven't been able to find in any of our manuals or Cockpit Companion.

When you go to flaps 40, the roll rate increases noticeably. My gut tells me it has something to do with flight spoilers, but I can't seem to find what.

Anybody know what it is that makes the airplane squirrly in roll at flaps 40 compared to 30?

So I’ve learned, and why I’ve never experienced this. Apparently, this is unique to the -800/900 “long body” 737s. Due to spoiler activation happening at a lower bank angle in these birds, compared to the shorter body 737s. Although the -400 isn’t included in this.

Mother of God……the HORROR. I would be shot at sundown at Alaska Airlines……. :)

View attachment 70925View attachment 70926
inconceivable-princessbride.gif

So I’ve learned, and why I’ve never experienced this. Apparently, this is unique to the -800/900 “long body” 737s. Due to spoiler activation happening at a lower bank angle in these birds, compared to the shorter body 737s. Although the -400 isn’t included in this.
Wonder if that has something to do with the wing on the NG compared with the wing on the classic? I’ve noticed it on the -700 too, but your right when I flew the -400 I don’t remember it.

1. Fly it precisely as the manager at your local McDonald's branch tells you how to fly it in the approved employee manual.

It's been a reeeeal long time... but I seem to recall something about executing flights "safely and efficiently". I could be wrong- I'm getting old and tired.

So,

2. Drop flaps at ~20kts above stall speed for whatever speed you're at. When that speed diminishes to ~20 kts above stall speed for that flap setting, go to next detent of flaps. Continue that pattern until at landing flaps. Do not decrease to below ball or 1.3 stall speed. Land. Exit the cockpit. Stand crisply at the exit. Kiss the babies and shake the hands of the departing passengers as they deplane. Say "thank you for flying with us".

I’ve actually really grown to like flaps 2 & 10. I didn’t think I would use them much coming from the other Boeings but now that I have them I use them a lot. 2 works pretty good for when ATC wants a buck eighty far out, and 10 when you do the whole 30 mile ILS.

Now don’t get me wrong, this airplane is still an abortion and should be scrapped, but…yea.

Wonder if that has something to do with the wing on the NG compared with the wing on the classic? I’ve noticed it on the -700 too, but your right when I flew the -400 I don’t remember it.

When descending to land, is it true your shop’s first flap call is Flaps 5?

When descending to land, is it true your shop’s first flap call is Flaps 5?
Every now and again someone in the training center gets all hot and bothered by this. Recommended is 5-15-30/40, but use whatever you need, there is no policy dictating what you can use.

If your feeling randy and want to tie someone’s knickers in a knot who gets all spun up about things the recommended schedule is 2-10-25-30/40.
;)

Every now and again someone in the training center gets all hot and bothered by this. Recommended is 5-15-30/40, but use whatever you need, there is no policy dictating what you can use.

If your feeling randy and want to tie someone’s knickers in a knot who gets all spun up about things the recommended schedule is 2-10-25-30/40.
;)

I have zero issue with it. It’s just another interesting difference in how different shops fly the same airplanes in different ways, successfully,

I never call for flaps 25. Ever. Just no real need for it. 2 and 10 if a situation calls for it or it fits in. 15 to 30 or 15 to 40, which short circuits some people. Haha.

I have zero issue with it. It’s just another interesting difference in how different shops fly the same airplanes in different ways, successfully,

I never call for flaps 25. Ever. Just no real need for it. 2 and 10 if a situation calls for it or it fits in. 15 to 30 or 15 to 40, which short circuits some people. Haha.

Interesting…I use 25 a lot because I’m usually flying the thing like I stole it and need it to slow down to meet my stable gates and I’m too fast for landing flaps.

Interesting…I use 25 a lot because I’m usually flying the thing like I stole it and need it to slow down to meet my stable gates and I’m too fast for landing flaps.

Nothing says one can’t or shouldn’t use flaps 25, I just don’t personally do as a mere technique. Others do use it such as in your example, and that’s fine too.

Nothing says one can’t or shouldn’t use flaps 25, I just don’t personally do as a mere technique. Others do use it such as in your example, and that’s fine too.

Absolutely agree, nothing wrong with how you fly, just was surprised to hear it. I’d say the majority of the people at our shop use 25 quite a bit. Just interesting how it seems that every airline operates this old tired girl differently.

Absolutely agree, nothing wrong with how you fly, just was surprised to hear it. I’d say the majority of the people at our shop use 25 quite a bit. Just interesting how it seems that every airline operates this old tired girl differently.
Probably a bit of difference when It comes to slowing the thing down between your 800/900/Max and Mikes -200 lol.

Probably a bit of difference when It comes to slowing the thing down between your 800/900/Max and Mikes -200 lol.

This is prob very true. I notice this just between a fully loaded 9ER and a more empty -800 or a -700. Fortunately, you have 8 notches of speed brakes to choose from.....

Back