AZ is %$^&** dark at night ... & other CFI tidbits

pilot602

If specified, this will replace the title that
Well it's the end of a long day. I just got home at 11:30p.m. local time from a flight to Page, AZ with a semi-student. I started my day today at 8:30! Anywho, It's the second time I've flown with this guy in his T210 (sweeeeeet airplane, BTW). This guy is a private pilot-IA but hasn't flown in 9 years and is a) tryingto get back in the saddle b) tryingto get used to a 180kt T210! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif So I basically ride along watch over his shoulder then wait around at the airport the fly back with him.

And for those who argue that loggin IMC at night, over the desert isn't "right" well, just go fly in the desert/moutains at night (no, I'm not logging it as actual ... just kind of tryingto prove a point ... i.e. it's dark as *&^&* out there). Well, at least northern AZ is *$&^ dark.

So, this is my second full week on the schedule and I've billed (as of tomorrow morning assuming, the flight goes through) 9.3 hours and I've flown about 7.5 of those. Not great but a lot better than I expected for my second week on the couch. 6.8 of those hours are T210 time too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm actually right at the "minimum billed time" for part-time status so I'm pretty happy about that.

I really like hanging out at the airport all day (well once I leave, sitting there on the couch for 10 hours striaght is actually very painful/more boring than watching paint dry because if we had paint drying it would actually be something to do/watch) but now I have this fear that once I find a full time job again it's gonna kind squash this momentum I have going in terms of flying/students. Oh well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Right now it's 12:09 local and I'm gonna drag my tired/bemused/poor ass to bed as I have a 8:30a.m. show time for a disco flight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The exciting life of the CFI ...

Re: AZ is %$^&** dark at night ... & other CFI tid

[ QUOTE ]
And for those who argue that loggin IMC at night, over the desert isn't "right" well, just go fly in the desert/moutains at night (no, I'm not logging it as actual ... just kind of tryingto prove a point ... i.e. it's dark as *&^&* out there). Well, at least northern AZ is *$&^ dark.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that what I've been saying all along? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that what I've been saying all along? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, I still think an instrument rating should be required to fly in those conditions.

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, I still think an instrument rating should be required to fly in those conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed.

Hazy conditions when out over one of the Great Lakes (or the ocean) can quickly get one in trouble also.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed.

Hazy conditions when out over one of the Great Lakes (or the ocean) can quickly get one in trouble also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't experienced the GLs myself, but from what you wrote and what I've heard, I could imagine it being very similiar.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We came back VFR so we could avoid O2 and I wasn't to excitied about filing in an unfamilliar aircraft so we grabbedflight following. It was basically an instrument flight (it helped that the aircraft had a Flight Director). But someone without an IA rating has no business flying VFR out there at night. At least not on a no-moon night ... full moon mightbe different but we had a sliver of a moon last night.

[ QUOTE ]
(no, I'm not logging it as actual ... just kind of trying to prove a point ... i.e. it's dark as *&^&* out there)

[/ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't you log it as IMC? If you're navigating solely by reference to the instruments for a period of time, that SHOULD be logged as actual.

Wendover is our little Bermuda triangle. Most places will not allow their aircraft to Wendover at night unless the pilot is instrument rated.

If it's a clear night with a full moon it's not too bad. When it's overcast, watch out.

Here are 3 accidents underlining this problem.

Wendover 1

Wendover 2

Wendover 3

Re: AZ is %$^&** dark at night ... & other CFI tidbits

I instruct in Prescott, northern AZ, and I know what ya mean about dark. I like to take students up there and do unusual attitudes. Great stuff.

Mark

Back