Avelo

271955279_10109889774070452_7952749531381915929_n.jpeg

Back in those days assuming everything under Part 141, absolute minimum was 190 hrs for Comm/Inst/ME. The record I heard was a 193 hr TT pilot newhire at Pinnacle.

FITS allows pilots to get all their certificates in under 190 hours. FITS was implemented in 2004, and has been adopted by a lot of 141 schools. I finished all of my stuff in less than 190 hours.

@MikeD or @Derg what did Embry-Riddle cost when you both attended? I understand student loans gain interest and the actual figure is higher than what they sold you, but I'm just curious for my own personal reasons what they quoted you for your degree? If you you'd rather not talk about it I understand. This is not meant as a slight towards two people that I respect, I might've been your classmate if some things would've gone differently.

Are you telling me when I flew a RJ with 236 hrs total that I had more flight time than the minimum I actually needed? Ok I’m gonna have to get in touch with the jet University emeritus to inquire about a refund.
No I'm saying the part 141, 190tt number is false.
I had my commercial, instrument, multi at 140.
I flew for fun outside the syllabus with that too.

I have no idea about JetU.

The total of whatever the minimum approved hours are required per course. I don’t remember what it was, but it was low. Also it’s probably different for different schools as each FITS program varies.
No I'm saying the part 141, 190tt number is false.
I had my commercial, instrument, multi at 140.
I flew for fun outside the syllabus with that too.

I have no idea about JetU.

All of the above is true. 141 programs are tailored/unique. UND and ERAU have these kinds of programs for sure. The one I teach in is similar and we do have a FITS program that - for the right applicant (and I do not know what the pre-requisites are) they can earn CSEL in less than 190 hours. I haven't had a candidate in that program yet but our Chief/Owner is will be giving us more details on that in a month. Also our rotary-to-FW program.

Shouldn’t our gamer generation be a perfect fit for the lack of pilots coming up in the system. Todays modern cockpits are basically programming and then watching for the next few hours. (As long as your in something bigger than a 200). I would take a 300 hour gamer over a 1000 hour book jockey. Don’t the regionals just put a red MEL sticker over the right half of the cockpit anyways.

I have my 9yr old come out to the airport on days he’s not in school. He can program my PL21 better than my fo. My fo is retired FAA with I quote “more flight time than he needs to fly anything”.

@MikeD or @Derg what did Embry-Riddle cost when you both attended? I understand student loans gain interest and the actual figure is higher than what they sold you, but I'm just curious for my own personal reasons what they quoted you for your degree? If you you'd rather not talk about it I understand. This is not meant as a slight towards two people that I respect, I might've been your classmate if some things would've gone differently.

I started and it was 1600 per semester without flight training. I think it was 2800-ish as I was graduating.

It’s been almost three decades, I had to stop to think “Now where did I go To college again?” :)

Shouldn’t our gamer generation be a perfect fit for the lack of pilots coming up in the system. Todays modern cockpits are basically programming and then watching for the next few hours. (As long as your in something bigger than a 200). I would take a 300 hour gamer over a 1000 hour book jockey. Don’t the regionals just put a red MEL sticker over the right half of the cockpit anyways.

I have my 9yr old come out to the airport on days he’s not in school. He can program my PL21 better than my fo. My fo is retired FAA with I quote “more flight time than he needs to fly anything”.

One of my private students is an average private pilot for her experience level. She's also a pretty serious gamer in her 40s.

She's an OUTSTANDING instrument pilot. You wouldn't know that she wasn't a rated pilot by watching her fly under the hood. It's an odd juxtaposition of the skillset. Even though we can't do anything with it, I've had her shoot a few approaches on the way back to the airport and, frankly, she can fly an ILS or LPV approach better than I can.

The total of whatever the minimum approved hours are required per course. I don’t remember what it was, but it was low. Also it’s probably different for different schools as each FITS program varies.
For FITS there doesn’t have to be any required hours does there? My memory was just proficiency and completion of the syllabus.

Back in those days assuming everything under Part 141, absolute minimum was 190 hrs for Comm/Inst/ME. The record I heard was a 193 hr TT pilot newhire at Pinnacle.

As already mentioned, it could be done in less than that. I had my Comm/Inst/SE/ME at 184 total. There was a new hire a few classes in front of me at Pinnacle who had 180 total. He made it through training, but was let go in his probation year. Something about telling scheduling to F off when they called him during his reserve time. He hadn't bothered to commute in and didn't feel like flying that week.

As already mentioned, it could be done in less than that. I had my Comm/Inst/SE/ME at 184 total. There was a new hire a few classes in front of me at Pinnacle who had 180 total. He made it through training, but was let go in his probation year. Something about telling scheduling to F off when they called him during his reserve time. He hadn't bothered to commute in and didn't feel like flying that week.

I just....how....what....

You can't DO that....did he think he wouldn't be fired? The whole point of being on reserve is that you might get called.....

Back