Avelo

Well that’s because it’s a ridiculous notion. The idea that everyone has to suffer through their career because we might have, is insane to me.
On the one hand, it would have been nice to skip the RJ •.

On the other hand, at least I'm senior to all the people who are skipping the RJ •.

Whatever, I'm getting cheese fries. Good riddance that people can actually skip the RJ •, since, well, it's •.

And it's • I can't say • here, but alright.

Just an observation but when I did ATP in 2006, people were going straight from training to the right seat at Colgan and the like with 350-500 hours. The "good" regionals like ExpressJet were hiring people with 750-1000 total time. With this program, presumably the new FO's will have at least 1200+ hours of giving dual in singles and Seminoles teaching everything from Commercial ASEL/AMEL and Instrument to MEI.

Just an observation but when I did ATP in 2006, people were going straight from training to the right seat at Colgan and the like with 350-500 hours. The "good" regionals like ExpressJet were hiring people with 750-1000 total time. With this program, presumably the new FO's will have at least 1200+ hours of giving dual in singles and Seminoles teaching everything from Commercial ASEL/AMEL and Instrument to MEI.
the lowest I remember hearing about was in 2006-7, American Eagle (envoy to the new kids) hired a 170 hour UND grad...he would have flowed by now and is probably a 777 FO

FWIW I was hired by AE in 2008 with 500TT (was even sent me to a RJet course in Vero Beach)3 days before Indoc they cancelled class and never heard back from them I called at least 50 times to get a hold of someone but nothing ever transpired...

There's no reason a capable 1500hr Mei/ii can't be very successful in a mostly automated crew environment. It's all about fitting in the box the company wants you to be in.

Now, single piloting a piston twin 135? For that you should definitely have a couple of thousand hours and a thousand multi pic. Change my mind.
Said before, say again - cabin class twins are likely the most complicated airplanes I am likely to encounter, and yeah - that is, in fact, an honest to goodness tough job just from the flying side.

Have you seen the level of impatience with the new crowd of pilots? They'll absolutely jump on something like this regardless of the cost if it means they'll go from a clapped out C-one-five-two-heavy to a 737. I bet flight school students are already buying LW stealth 22's without side pockets in anticipation of this program. There was a similar period in the early 2000s (right around the Lost Decade) but era of time building just to become a flight engineer are over. Hell, you don't even have to become a MEI for that coveted ME-PIC anymore. Classes are filling with candidates that barely have 25 hours MEL and they're getting typed in passenger jets.

I get it, our industry is basically a rat race (get to your preferred major or cargo carrier in the shortest time with least investment possible) and you always take the the shortest line in a race. However, those of us that are further along in our careers think this is crazy, but this is how the industry goes now. This is just the modern JetU or Gulfstream Academy but without the stigma with those programs.
"The problem with this generation is!"

(Directly compares it to what pilots of previous generations did, but worse.)

Have you seen the level of impatience with the new crowd of pilots? They'll absolutely jump on something like this regardless of the cost if it means they'll go from a clapped out C-one-five-two-heavy to a 737. I bet flight school students are already buying LW stealth 22's without side pockets in anticipation of this program. There was a similar period in the early 2000s (right around the Lost Decade) but era of time building just to become a flight engineer are over. Hell, you don't even have to become a MEI for that coveted ME-PIC anymore. Classes are filling with candidates that barely have 25 hours MEL and they're getting typed in passenger jets.

I get it, our industry is basically a rat race (get to your preferred major or cargo carrier in the shortest time with least investment possible) and you always take the the shortest line in a race. However, those of us that are further along in our careers think this is crazy, but this is how the industry goes now. This is just the modern JetU or Gulfstream Academy but without the stigma with those programs.

I can’t wait to see the ads

the lowest I remember hearing about was in 2006-7, American Eagle (envoy to the new kids) hired a 170 hour UND grad...he would have flowed by now and is probably a 777 FO

FWIW I was hired by AE in 2008 with 500TT (was even sent me to a RJet course in Vero Beach)3 days before Indoc they cancelled class and never heard back from them I called at least 50 times to get a hold of someone but nothing ever transpired...

How did that happen, you need 250 hrs for CSEL? Was UND a 141 program?

"The problem with this generation is!"

(Directly compares it to what pilots of previous generations did, but worse.)

Funny story... During the first week of December I was decorating the exterior of the house for the upcoming Pagan holiday, then started shooting the breeze with my neighbor that works for a manufacturing company and he has a college age son.

How are things are the shop?

"It is real tough right now, can't find anyone that wants to work in the warehouse. They either don't show up, quit mid shift during lunch... No one wants to work anymore."

A few minutes later, I shift the subject to his son and winter vacation:

Once Tim (college kid) is on break, are you guys going on your regular ski trip ?

"Nah, too much uncertainty with traveling... cancelling flights, hotels and restrictive policies, just not what we'd call relaxing."

Bummer, but perfect timing, you could have Tim help you out working in the warehouse.

"Nah, we won't pay him what he can make working for a family friend doing some construction work. Our friend really needs the help and he pays Tim a lot for working with him, that'll give him some cash in pocket for when he's out with his friends."

At this point I realize that he doesn't realize his own kid won't work under his conditions which is why he seeks employment elsewhere and might be a clue as to why he can't recruit and retain employees.

These kids today!

Funny story... During the first week of December I was decorating the exterior of the house for the upcoming Pagan holiday, then started shooting the breeze with my neighbor that works for a manufacturing company and he has a college age son.

How are things are the shop?

"It is real tough right now, can't find anyone that wants to work in the warehouse. They either don't show up, quit mid shift during lunch... No one wants to work anymore."

A few minutes later, I shift the subject to his son and winter vacation:

Once Tim (college kid) is on break, are you guys going on your regular ski trip ?

"Nah, too much uncertainty with traveling... cancelling flights, hotels and restrictive policies, just not what we'd call relaxing."

Bummer, but perfect timing, you could have Tim help you out working in the warehouse.

"Nah, we won't pay him what he can make working for a family friend doing some construction work. Our friend really needs the help and he pays Tim a lot for working with him, that'll give him some cash in pocket for when he's out with his friends."

At this point I realize that he doesn't realize his own kid won't work under his conditions which is why he seeks employment elsewhere and might be a clue as to why he can't recruit and retain employees.

These kids today!
Darned market economics!!

Seems like a good idea. Take a pilot with no real experience, put them in a heavy 737 and have them learn on the tiny runway (patio?) at Burbank or New Haven.

Yikes!

For real though, I didn't even like taking the CRJ in there and was glad when they dropped the destination. There was always turbulence coming down final across the sound.

At least you’ve got the superior skill.
No points for second best.

ice-man-topgun.gif

Back