Atlas Air on fire

I've flown with a lot of milbros. At least one at every job, and there have been a lot of jobs, because I put companies out of business. To this day, I don't know what any of their "callsigns" were, because I respect their privacy and don't want to have to bring up whatever dumbass thing they did in training to earn the moniker, once we've had a couple of beers.

In general I find all of the "milbros-think-they're-better" stuff to be wildly overblown, but maybe I've been unusually lucky?

Also, who the hell has "business cards", these days? It's the 21st century. Let me sell you a non-fungible-token of me wearing a flight-suit and giving *click click*...*DOUBLE GUNS*. That's going to be worth something, someday, and I'll give you a special price, since we're Friends, now.

He’s a good dude for sure. Actually we pretty much entirely have a cool class. Last night we almost all got together for beers and a football game to celebrate finishing our types.

Oh man, you guys *almost* did? Some saint of a man on our crew volunteered to be DD, and we may have seen everything there is to be seen between Burien, Des Moines, and Tukwila. I faintly remember the twin peaks as a starting point. I think we finished the night destroying an 18 rack of Ballast Point Doubles, up on the rooftop looking at Rainier to the 10 pm setting sun. I'll always remember that night haha

Last edited:
Oh man, you guys *almost* did? Some saint of a man on our crew volunteered to be DD, and we may have seen everything there is to be seen between Burien, Des Moines, and Tukwila. I faintly remember the twin peaks as a starting point. I think we finished the night destroying an 18 rack of Ballast Point Doubles, up on the rooftop looking at Rainier to the 10 pm setting sun. I'll always remember that night haha
What I meant was, we had one guy out sick and a couple others who had other “obligations”. The rest of the crew was there. Except the guy who disappeared before PTs to go to Delta

We don’t have any of that •. We have 90% right wing ideology, but I’ve never heard anybody introduce themselves with a callsign. I would literally laugh in their faces if they pulled that crap on me. I was enlisted and I’m not in any more. You’re in a civilian job. My name is Joe. Try again with your name.

It is funny to me that it gets under so many folks' skin.

Military time is all good. Proud of you. Thank you for your service and all that stuff. We’re civilian now and we address each other as civilians. I’m not going to bow down to anybody for their service, and that includes call signs. Ymmv.

I’m also an • so I’ve got that going for me too. ;)

Is someone telling you to address them by their former rank? Then I could see the above bolded part regarding service.

But consider this food for thought: What if these people, their callsign is what they identify as and their emotional identity is tied to, and thus, what they want to be called or addressed as?

In today’s day and age of bowing to everyone”s whims of self identification and a culture of acceptance, whatever their feelings happen to be at any given time, and overall emotional neediness of some people; certainly these folks aren’t going to be singled out for discrimination, are they? No matter how nutty their desire of what they want to be addressed as may seem to you or me?

I mean, we’ve seemingly accepted “bowing down” to whatever name anyone else wants to be called in life, for whatever reason their brains have dreamed up on any given day, at any given hour. And the reason(s) are supposed to be none of our business, right? How is this any different?

No kink shaming?

😛

Is someone telling you to address them by their former rank? Then I could see the above bolded part regarding service.

But consider this food for thought: What if these people, their callsign is what they identify as and their emotional identity is tied to, and thus, what they want to be called or addressed as?

In today’s day and age of bowing to everyone”s whims of self identification and a culture of acceptance, whatever their feelings happen to be at any given time, and overall emotional neediness of some people; certainly these folks aren’t going to be singled out for discrimination, are they? No matter how nutty their desire of what they want to be addressed as may seem to you or me?

I mean, we’ve seemingly accepted “bowing down” to whatever name anyone else wants to be called in life, for whatever reason their brains have dreamed up on any given day, at any given hour. And the reason(s) are supposed to be none of our business, right? How is this any different?

No kink shaming?

😛
Look at the alternatives

Would you like a coin? To challenge who (are you afraid of?)

Hi I'm Red 3... no that's my position not my tail number #giggidy

I saw a rumot that a borescope inspection plug was discovered to be missing on this engine. HPC exit conditions on a GEnx at takeoff power can be temperatures upwads of 600°C and 550 PSI, which may cause problems when allowed to interact with parts of the case not designed for it.
1705934078826.gif

Flying and even just working in and for movie productions is kind of a pain in the butt and not very fun, all told. Just the way shoot schedules work, how different scenes get filmed, constant repeats of sections, etc. Waiting to get right shots, lots of time doing nothing, then rushing to do everything. Wasn’t as fun as people think it would be.
Oldest airplane, and first OX5 I ever flew behind was in a 1928 Travel Air 2000 piloted by a guy named Jack Carrigan. Old man at the time of the flight (into his 70's, and this was in the early 80's) and in the 30's he'd flown for Paul Mantz doing movie work. Guy had some stories that were mesmerizing. Movie work has always been hazardous. And yet, CGI is Satan for replacing the dangerous movie flying - which makes me feel odd but it's how I feel. I appreciate it.

Military time is all good. Proud of you. Thank you for your service and all that stuff. We’re civilian now and we address each other as civilians. I’m not going to bow down to anybody for their service, and that includes call signs. Ymmv.

I’m also an • so I’ve got that going for me too. ;)

After your military service, given your time in Russia doing your Corpie job, you are now…

Stone “Stanky Comrade” Cold

your homey in my new hire class did some flying for Top Gun 2 and ever since he let that slip his sim partner has razzed him nonstop. In typical military fashion he’s taken it really well and knows how to laugh at himself.
Trust me, he didn’t “…let it slip…”!

He found an opportunity to be douchey and brag about himself without sounding douchey.

And he’s “...taking it well...” because EVERYTIME it comes up, they’re talking about him!
WIN, WIN!

I saw a rumot that a borescope inspection plug was discovered to be missing on this engine. HPC exit conditions on a GEnx at takeoff power can be temperatures upwads of 600°C and 550 PSI, which may cause problems when allowed to interact with parts of the case not designed for it.
"WHAYULLLL, THERE'S YER PROBLEM"

"You...want to be called FUNGUS[1], Biff, Soup, Moose, Mooch, Badger, Punk or Einstein[2] outside of the 'community'? Alright." civilian side eye

[1] Frak you new guy you suck
[2] This one at least has a good story in Punk's War

This too. I personally think it is a little weird, but after 20 years of going by a certain service-given name in every interaction in life (to include the spouses who may call you by it as well in social settings), I can see it being something akin to a civilian person who prefers to just go by a particular childhood nickname. I seriously doubt these people are trying to flaunt the "thank me for my service" angle. As an FO, the first conversation in the cockpit (while I'm trying to finger punch the box, and do the walk around) is normally "where did you come from". So in the first literal minute of our trip, they know I'm a mil guy, without me ever offering up that fact. Like I said, I think it would be weird to ask them to call me a service-given callsign, but I don't think this behavior in others is rooted in some sort of self-heroism fantasy. But I'd also be very surprised if this were widespread to begin with.
Yeah, some people are just wound up a bit tight.

I have no problem using someone's preferred nickname.

(Though I also rarely refer to people by name or use names in conversation.)

Back