Atlas Air on fire

I've done primary searches in house fires without benefit of a hoseline, fought car fires with entrapment; I can't think of a much-worse circumstance than fire on-board an airplane at altitude - no way out and no one to help. For me, at least, that's the stuff of nightmares.
Occasionally my mind drifts to the "lithium battery fire on the cargo deck while we are 3 hours away from the closest place-you-can-stand-and-not-get-your-feet-wet up at FL370 out over the Pacific" scenario.

I'm sure that fire suppression system is going to work perfectly.

Occasionally my mind drifts to the "lithium battery fire on the cargo deck while we are 3 hours away from the closest place-you-can-stand-and-not-get-your-feet-wet up at FL370 out over the Pacific" scenario.

I'm sure that fire suppression system is going to work perfectly.
At least you have a suppression system.

Yeah, our suppression system was go to FL250 and keep your fingers crossed. I did a lot of Hawaii flying out of ONT and thought about this a lot. If the fire was confirmed I felt ditching was the better option.

Ditching is the better option if the fire isn’t out in short order, if over the middle of ocean nowhere . While you still have an aircraft under control. If a fire is spreading, or even just burning at its same rate; chances of winning the time battle of fire going out before it burning critical components or doing enough damage and rendering the jet uncontrollable, is a huge gamble. Of course, if this is happening at night over the middle of the ocean, well, that’s one hell of a bad day….the very definition of damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Have you found it to be a thing, in the civilian world?

I will say it seems like every post mil civilian working for a government agency now who has a business card, has their callsign printed on it.

Kinda glad the Army doesn’t generally do that crap. The couple guys with call signs it’s either a really interesting story or a warning of severe D-bag status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the “similar threads” section below the last post of this thread, the first “similar thread” is “Sky Jobs: Atlas Air First Officer”. 😂

It would be a lot cooler if it was for an open position within maintenance.

"BlueStar Airlines loses wing over Springfield."

"STS Aero Jobs: Sheet metal technician, BlueStar Airlines."

Yes. I'd say about 20% to 30% of the ex mil guys who had a callsign introduce themselves that way. Probably 10% to 15% correct you if you don't use it.
7C1B1143-30F5-4261-8E27-9E08CC5F480A.gif

2 ex-military pilots at the airlines introducing themselves by their call signs (2024, colorized)

Yes. I'd say about 20% to 30% of the ex mil guys who had a callsign introduce themselves that way. Probably 10% to 15% correct you if you don't use it.
We don’t have any of that •. We have 90% right wing ideology, but I’ve never heard anybody introduce themselves with a callsign. I would literally laugh in their faces if they pulled that crap on me. I was enlisted and I’m not in any more. You’re in a civilian job. My name is Joe. Try again with your name.

Never had any ex-military dudes introduce themselves by their military callsigns when we first meet. I’ve been involved in or around conversations while in flt ops where military folks will address one another or discuss another military person by their call sig…that’s fine and I get it. I flew with many folks for years or decades and never knew what their callsign was unless I finally asked them. And after hearing some of their responses I know why they didn’t want anyone to know!:p

This is quite bizarre. Even more bizarre that they expected you to call them by it. That would weird me the F out. In short, I'm actually pretty surprised people share this information at all (aside from if the question is asked), let alone expecting others to use it. I kinda get @A300Capt 's experience, when you see a guy or gal you previously flew with in the military, yeah I might call them by the callsign I know them by, in passing. But most of the people I know from the military don't work here, so there is a low probability of this happening.

I will say it seems like every post mil civilian working for a government agency now who has a business card, has their callsign printed on it.

Kinda glad the Army doesn’t generally do that crap. The couple guys with call signs it’s either a really interesting story or a warning of severe D-bag status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This, I have definitely seen. It's also a little weird, but I guess it would depend on the team you work with. If it is a bunch of other aviators, and you all just use callsigns, then it would be more normal. Especially in roles where you interface heavily with active duty aviators, who also use callsigns. Outside of those interactions, like with other company employees, or as a professional "handle" in the industry, yeah that's equally weird as a dude doing it on a civilian flight deck.

This is quite bizarre. Even more bizarre that they expected you to call them by it. That would weird me the F out. In short, I'm actually pretty surprised people share this information at all (aside from if the question is asked), let alone expecting others to use it. I kinda get @A300Capt 's experience, when you see a guy or gal you previously flew with in the military, yeah I might call them by the callsign I know them by, in passing. But most of the people I know from the military don't work here, so there is a low probability of this happening.

I'd never seen it before either. The numbers seem to be decreasing though, which is good.

Back