Atlas Air on fire

Occasionally my mind drifts to the "lithium battery fire on the cargo deck while we are 3 hours away from the closest place-you-can-stand-and-not-get-your-feet-wet up at FL370 out over the Pacific" scenario.

I'm sure that fire suppression system is going to work perfectly.
IDK ... different scenario but if an EV battery runs away in a car on the ground, it takes some 10-12,000 gallons (or more) of water to cool the reaction (and then it often reignites behind the tow or in the yard). You honestly can't put the damned things out in any conventional sense. They may belong on a slow boat from China but, IMO, not in the cargo bay of any aircraft - fire suppression system or not.

It is funny to me that it gets under so many folks' skin.
Military time is all good. Proud of you. Thank you for your service and all that stuff. We’re civilian now and we address each other as civilians. I’m not going to bow down to anybody for their service, and that includes call signs. Ymmv.

I’m also an • so I’ve got that going for me too. ;)

Last edited:
Never had any ex-military dudes introduce themselves by their military callsigns when we first meet. I’ve been involved in or around conversations while in flt ops where military folks will address one another or discuss another military person by their call sig…that’s fine and I get it. I flew with many folks for years or decades and never knew what their callsign was unless I finally asked them. And after hearing some of their responses I know why they didn’t want anyone to know!:p
Everyone I’ve met it’s really only come up in “so what did you do before here?” Conversation.

It is funny to me that it gets under so many folks' skin.

This too. I personally think it is a little weird, but after 20 years of going by a certain service-given name in every interaction in life (to include the spouses who may call you by it as well in social settings), I can see it being something akin to a civilian person who prefers to just go by a particular childhood nickname. I seriously doubt these people are trying to flaunt the "thank me for my service" angle. As an FO, the first conversation in the cockpit (while I'm trying to finger punch the box, and do the walk around) is normally "where did you come from". So in the first literal minute of our trip, they know I'm a mil guy, without me ever offering up that fact. Like I said, I think it would be weird to ask them to call me a service-given callsign, but I don't think this behavior in others is rooted in some sort of self-heroism fantasy. But I'd also be very surprised if this were widespread to begin with.

Occasionally my mind drifts to the "lithium battery fire on the cargo deck while we are 3 hours away from the closest place-you-can-stand-and-not-get-your-feet-wet up at FL370 out over the Pacific" scenario.

I'm sure that fire suppression system is going to work perfectly.
Glad to know I wasn't the only one. I remember laying on the floor of the MD, looking back at the net and my mind started to wander...didn't get much sleep between KIX and OAK that day.

You’re telling you in 31 years you’ve managed to avoid that raging bag of dick cheese Tom Kazansky…. Lucky you. That guy is an
immediate vote off the island.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Plays a mean game of beach volleyball on those long Hawaii layovers tho

Plays a mean game of beach volleyball on those long Hawaii layovers tho

“So there we are clawing to keep knots on the jet with the one engine holding it up as we approach the boat…..”

“Sir if you could please just finish your order, the drive through is starting to back up.”

“So there we are with one engine holding it up as we approach the boat…..”

“Sir if you could please just finish your order, the drive through is starting to back up.”

You guys are dangerous

“So there we are clawing to keep knots on the jet with the one engine holding it up as we approach the boat…..”

I have to guess these nerds wear the blue uniform, and were specifically F-16 wing commanders at Luke. Nobody else is that much of a blow hard. Don't you try to put that hate on me Ricky Bobby :)

I have to guess these nerds wear the blue uniform, and were specifically F-16 wing commanders at Luke. Nobody else is that much of a blow hard. Don't you try to put that hate on me Ricky Bobby :)

One of the hardest parts of watching movies with pilots is seeing the Hollywood depiction of what they think military pilots are like.

Like they watch the banter in some movie and think “oh my god who would hang out with this tool box!”

Yeah we wouldn’t either.

One of the hardest parts of watching movies with pilots is seeing the Hollywood depiction of what they think military pilots are like.

Like they watch the banter in some movie and think “oh my god who would hang out with this tool box!”

Yeah we wouldn’t either.

I think that is also why some people think we are so douchey. Because those dudes are such enormous douches......even more douchey than the worst real guys I can actually think of

I think that is also why some people think we are so douchey. Because those dudes are enormous douches......even more • than the worst real guys I can actually think of (who would nobody would want to hang out with either, just less bad)
your homey in my new hire class did some flying for Top Gun 2 and ever since he let that slip his sim partner has razzed him nonstop. In typical military fashion he’s taken it really well and knows how to laugh at himself.

your homey in my new hire class did some flying for Top Gun 2 and ever since he let that slip his sim partner has razzed him nonstop. In typical military fashion he’s taken it really well and knows how to laugh at himself.

He's awesome. I actually know a handful of the guys who flew in that. As you might imagine, they were asked to do increasingly dangerous stupid stuff for the sake of cinematography. But anyway, our mutual friend is a fantastic dude. Definitely not the stereotype. I'm glad he has a sim partner like I did though. There is no slack in this business, and there can be none given

He's awesome. I actually know a handful of the guys who flew in that. As you might imagine, they were asked to do increasingly dangerous stupid stuff for the sake of cinematography. But anyway, our mutual friend is a fantastic dude. Definitely not the stereotype. I'm glad he has a sim partner like I did though. There is no slack in this business, and there can be none given

Flying and even just working in and for movie productions is kind of a pain in the butt and not very fun, all told. Just the way shoot schedules work, how different scenes get filmed, constant repeats of sections, etc. Waiting to get right shots, lots of time doing nothing, then rushing to do everything. Wasn’t as fun as people think it would be.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one. I remember laying on the floor of the MD, looking back at the net and my mind started to wander...didn't get much sleep between KIX and OAK that day.

Keeping an eye on this thing?

IMG_0958.jpeg

He’s a good dude for sure. Actually we pretty much entirely have a cool class. Last night we almost all got together for beers and a football game to celebrate finishing our types.

Back