Atlas Air on fire

Seems fine, shut off #1 and we'll just turn back and land. Do we need to dump fuel? Wide body pilot life sounds awesome.

I don’t care if y’all are going to play the “OMG tHe MeDiA iS bEiNg OvErDrAmAtIc!!! The 74 can fly easily on 3 and the pylon is designed to protect for x minutes!” that footage is pretty impressive and I’d be glad that I couldn’t see all that from the cockpit.

Clarification: this is the bad kind of “on fire.”
I don't think so. An engine fire is a known possibility and the engineers built systems into the airplane that hopefully extinguish it or even let the flaming conflagration fall off and everyone still ends up on the ground in a controlled fashion, and that's what happened. In my dumb opinion a bad kind of "on fire" would be all four engines running and the fuselage is on fire, it's happened.

I don't think so. An engine fire is a known possibility and the engineers built systems into the airplane that hopefully extinguish it or even let the flaming conflagration fall off and everyone still ends up on the ground in a controlled fashion, and that's what happened. In my dumb opinion a bad kind of "on fire" would be all four engines running and the fuselage is on fire, it's happened.

Or, an engine fire in the jet that is also a fuselage fire, like a fighter jet.

I've done primary searches in house fires without benefit of a hoseline, fought car fires with entrapment; I can't think of a much-worse circumstance than fire on-board an airplane at altitude - no way out and no one to help. For me, at least, that's the stuff of nightmares.

Or, an engine fire in the jet that is also a fuselage fire, like a fighter jet.
That's absolutely true. The engineers were also thinking about that. The difference is you signed up willing to lay your life down fighting for what you believe in. Lots of people might think that's odd. I hate everything about fighters, you can take your afterburners and ejection seats and fly by wire and toss it into a campfire. I like airplanes, my friends are more important.

I've done primary searches in house fires without benefit of a hoseline, fought car fires with entrapment; I can't think of a much-worse circumstance than fire on-board an airplane at altitude - no way out and no one to help. For me, at least, that's the stuff of nightmares.

Fire aboard ship.

It’s like you did something to offend god and this is your penance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what lifeboats are for.

I remember when cruise ships used to do full-on muster drills. Get your life jacket, put it on, report to your muster station. Once everyone there, literally a scene that looked like the entire ship’s humanity was about to evac, then we were dismissed to have fun.

My last cruise?

You had to use the cruise app, take a picture of the QR code on your assigned muster station, and good to go.

I shudder to think of a real life evac emergemcy involving a large cruise ship. Good luck homeys. You gon need it.

Every shipboard airwing officer during a man overboard drill "yeah its AMG, calling from the stateroom, I have Dick butter and Micro Penis here with me, we are here".....and then you go back to sleep as the rest of the ship churns at 0200 am

Back