Atlas Air on fire

Have heard a couple old man stories now about the fun of J/S'ing back in the day, on CAL or UAL. Stuff like "I just sat down and the FO and FE turn to me, point to the CA, and say this guy is a f'ing scab and we don't talk to him"

haha those flight decks must have been bananas

I rode on a united 777 where after I sat down and thanked the captain for the ride, the FO told me not to thank him because he was a 1985 hire and didn't deserve my thanks. Kind of awkward.

I used to carry a scab list around (on my PalmPilot!) I used it once but that was it. Not sure if there are even any guys left still flying.

Have heard a couple old man stories now about the fun of J/S'ing back in the day, on CAL or UAL. Stuff like "I just sat down and the FO and FE turn to me, point to the CA, and say this guy is a f'ing scab and we don't talk to him"

haha those flight decks must have been banana

I had an experience myself. Jumpseating on a Northwest 727 back in the mid-1990s when I was flying cargo. CA, FO and SO were all sterile cockpit, as they were all from different “books”, Red Book, Green Book, etc. Original Northwest pilots versus those acquired. Was practically a fully sterile cockpit the whole time.

I had an experience myself. Jumpseating on a Northwest 727 back in the mid-1990s when I was flying cargo. CA, FO and SO were all sterile cockpit, as they were all from different “books”, Red Book, Green Book, etc. Original Northwest pilots versus those acquired. Was practically a fully sterile cockpit the whole time.

I didn't take much interest in commercial airliners as a kid, to be quite honest, but I did have one of those fleet sets of models.....the kind you could buy at the Boeing Museum or probably airport terminals. I had never flown NWA, not sure if I ever did at any point (we always flew UAL or Alaska), but I really liked the colors. I think I also thought they had something to do with the Pac NW as a company, which they did, but not what I thought they did. This would have been the "bowling shoe" livery, as the traditional orient/"cobra" colors had been retired a few years earlier.

Occasionally my mind drifts to the "lithium battery fire on the cargo deck while we are 3 hours away from the closest place-you-can-stand-and-not-get-your-feet-wet up at FL370 out over the Pacific" scenario.

I'm sure that fire suppression system is going to work perfectly.

At least you have a suppression system.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one. I remember laying on the floor of the MD, looking back at the net and my mind started to wander...didn't get much sleep between KIX and OAK that day.

Keeping an eye on this thing?

View attachment 76137
Well rest easy, when it's not disabled due to lack of parts, it is not designed to extinguish a Lithium Ion Battery fire.

haha those flight decks must have been bananas
Muh safety

There's the old urban legend of Frank Borman, while he was at Eastern, at the table with the ALPA negotiators. Kept insisting to be called "Colonel". One of the ALPA negotiators, who was in the ANG finally replied, "Mr. Borman, I will call you colonel when you address me as "General".
Eh, not technically. "Red Book" pilots were original Northwest Orient (gong) Airlines, "Green Book" were Republic (just very recently mushed together from North Central, Southern, and AirWest). "Blue Book" pilots were post-merger. The NC/SO merger was in 79, plus AirWest in 80, then the NWA merger in 86, so that must have been a fun couple of years.

AirWest itself was made up of 3 carriers: Bonanza, West Coast Airlines and Pacific Airlines, which merged in 1968. As I recall, a Bonanza pilot retired off the whale in the early 2000's.

There's the old urban legend of Frank Borman, while he was at Eastern, at the table with the ALPA negotiators. Kept insisting to be called "Colonel". One of the ALPA negotiators, who was in the ANG finally replied, "Mr. Borman, I will call you colonel when you address me as "General".

Eh, not technically. "Red Book" pilots were original Northwest Orient (gong) Airlines, "Green Book" were Republic (just very recently mushed together from North Central, Southern, and AirWest). "Blue Book" pilots were post-merger. The NC/SO merger was in 79, plus AirWest in 80, then the NWA merger in 86, so that must have been a fun couple of years.

AirWest itself was made up of 3 carriers: Bonanza, West Coast Airlines and Pacific Airlines, which merged in 1968. As I recall, a Bonanza pilot retired off the whale in the early 2000's.

That’s a good explanation. I knew the vagaries of it, but as a young jumpseater, i just sat in my jumpseat #2 against the back left wall and kept quiet…..like the rest of the cockpit was. :)

I rode on a united 777 where after I sat down and thanked the captain for the ride, the FO told me not to thank him because he was a 1985 hire and didn't deserve my thanks. Kind of awkward.

I used to carry a scab list around (on my PalmPilot!) I used it once but that was it. Not sure if there are even any guys left still flying.

By my math, they would have to got hired at 26 or younger to still be flying. Probably not likely. I had a decent career progression and in 85 I was 24. Still flying Cessna's. I remember a strike in 80's, thought it was CAL but it could have been United, there were ads in the paper for pilots. They wanted 1000 total and I wasn't there yet. I didn't know anything about unions or airline labor relations. I honestly would have considered it had I had the quals. Hopefully I'd have got educated by ALPA or a picket line before pulling the trigger but I was pretty naive. All it would have taken is for a United pilot to have sat me down and said, "Kid, you don't want to do this". I would have been in awe and done what he said, for sure.

ALPA scabs at Continental got punished big time. They got to spend years on the top end of United’s seniority list as EWR 777 CAs, out earning all those who honored the picket line and those hired after the strike. What a punishment.

ALPA scabs at Continental got punished big time. They got to spend years on the top end of United’s seniority list as EWR 777 CAs, out earning all those who honored the picket line and those hired after the strike. What a punishment.
Well then they got what they deserved!

Nah, they got away with it, big time. Justice would have been them being forced out of the profession, like a bad attorney being disbarred.

Nah, they got away with it, big time. Justice would have been them being forced out of the profession, like a bad attorney being disbarred.

Didn’t the CAL scabs get quasi “forgiven”, because ALPA was trying to get back on property at CAL?

The only time being a scab paid off, it seems, unfortunately..

Didn’t the CAL scabs get quasi “forgiven”, because ALPA was trying to get back on property at CAL?

The only time being a scab paid off, it seems, unfortunately..

Eeeeeeeeeeyup.

Financially it did. A lot of guys who walked the line made it their mission for the next 20 years time make it psychological not pay off.

Always heard the scab guys were weird to fly with. Socially awkward

Always heard the scab guys were weird to fly with. Socially awkward

Might be a good case of nature/nurture. A guy who scabs has to have a strange world view to begin with. And a guy who spends an entire career wondering what he's going to find when he opens up his flight case, and if his car's tires are still going to be inflated when he gets home is going to have some strange personality quirks.

I remember when the subject of Candy (Candalyn?) Kubeck came up, people on forums would be like, "that scab got what she deserved!" or "burn in hell!"

I mean, I don't like scabs. I wouldn't be friends with her or hang out with her, but I don't want her burning to death in a spiraling out of control DC9 either.

I remember when the subject of Candy (Candalyn?) Kubeck came up, people on forums would be like, "that scab got what she deserved!" or "burn in hell!"

I mean, I don't like scabs. I wouldn't be friends with her or hang out with her, but I don't want her burning to death in a spiraling out of control DC9 either.
Well or course not, the DC9 is worth saving! 😁

It is pretty brutal/honest/whatever that the list has been updated, as in the case with Kubeck, with "DECEASED". While such person still remains on the list in perpetuity, just now dead. I guess it is just so that maybe the kids know? Or so that others in the future know? Deserved I'd say, but I guess they at least don't have to worry about pipe bombs anymore

Let me sell you a non-fungible-token of me wearing a flight-suit and giving *click click*...*DOUBLE GUNS*. That's going to be worth something, someday, and I'll give you a special price, since we're Friends, now.

Close enough. Even has a hat, sorta.

Attachments

• PXL_20240204_164017941.jpg
    PXL_20240204_164017941.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
Back