Asiana Door Opened in Flight

When I would jumpseat on UPS the pilots were big on briefing the door issue on the A300, in case of evac. In short, don’t hold onto the door in case it wants to take you for a ride.
It’s kind of funny when they brief you on the diaper bungee jump thing on the 757.

For those who aren’t familiar. Written on all four sides of the sign, installed in the window sill of the entry doors, and illuminates red when it senses the preset cabin differential or greater.

View attachment 71858

I can't find the video right now, but we had a sensor fail, and every door warning light started flashing at about 200 feet going in to Boston one morning. DeltaP was zero on the ground, and once we got to the gate I opened my window up just to make sure, but none of the FAs were willing to open the door so we had to send the RO out to do it.

I can't find the video right now, but we had a sensor fail, and every door warning light started flashing at about 200 feet going in to Boston one morning. DeltaP was zero on the ground, and once we got to the gate I opened my window up just to make sure, but none of the FAs were willing to open the door so we had to send the RO out to do it.
That’ll wake you up after a red eye

None of the FAs were willing to open up the door, haha! Did you show them the open cockpit window with air flowing back and forth? :) :)

Yes. But it's very clear in their manual that they are not to touch that door when the light is flashing. I don't blame them.

I agree. But once they are shown a giant hole in the aircraft in the form of an open cockpit window, some common sense should prevail.

I agree. But once they are shown a giant hole in the aircraft in the form of an open cockpit window, some common sense should prevail.
That's where you make a call and get it on a recorded line with approval to disregard a manual. Setting a precedent of ignoring a manual because we think it's common sense is a slippery slope. Recorded lines are your friend in times like this.

I imagine the sudden wind would kick up a ton of dust and dirt… plus shock of somebody opening it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also engine exhaust, brake dust and tire smoke & smell on landing, and taxiing in all 3 of those smells would make their way in that open L3 door.
I could see it causing distress to some people.

That's where you make a call and get it on a recorded line with approval to disregard a manual. Setting a precedent of ignoring a manual because we think it's common sense is a slippery slope. Recorded lines are your friend in times like this.

Wouldn’t be the FAs disregarding a manual on their own authority. Should be the Captains call one way or another, once the FAs (rightfully) called the cockpit to inform them of the situation, and the cockpit crew checked it out, thus placing the decision on the Captain as the approval authority. Good CRM and all. The RO had to be sent back to do the job anyway, it seems.

It’s not like the FAs would’ve been opening the door with zero permission as if it was any normal circumstance and simply disregarding the flashing light. I’m sure (I hope) there was some coordination and permission to open the door from the Capt, of the fact the pressure diff was confirmed to be zero and there’s a hole in the fuselage in the form of an open cockpit window, with free flowing air going back and forth into the cabin. A light that is supposed to be showing a pressure differential problem, when there’s obviously no pressure diff at all and confirmed as such by the cockpit crew. I highly doubt the Captain would clear them to open a door that is in any way potentially unsafe to open.

Wouldn’t be the FAs disregarding a manual on their own authority. Should be the Captains call one way or another, once the FAs (rightfully) called the cockpit to inform them of the situation, and the cockpit crew checked it out, thus placing the decision on the Captain as the approval authority. Good CRM and all. The RO had to be sent back to do the job anyway, it seems.

It’s not like the FAs would’ve been opening the door with zero permission as if it was any normal circumstance and simply disregarding the flashing light. I’m sure (I hope) there was some coordination and permission to open the door from the Capt, of the fact the pressure diff was confirmed to be zero and there’s a hole in the fuselage in the form of an open cockpit window, with free flowing air going back and forth into the cabin. A light that is supposed to be showing a pressure differential problem, when there’s obviously no pressure diff at all and confirmed as such by the cockpit crew. I highly doubt the Captain would clear them to open a door that is in any way potentially unsafe to open.
True. But you still call maintenance first to get clearance to open the door. Just to make sure there's nothing else that could be set off. Any time something goes wrong, you have to get a second opinion.

Allegedly the guy is claiming he had claustrophobia. Here is a comment from a news article I was reading about the incident.

"As someone who travels a little bit and has a slight case of claustrophobia, I can say that this is no justification for opening a door while the jet is 700 feet up off the ground. He either has to learn to get his claustrophobia under control or not fly at all. You can't put other passengers at fear because of your own problems. Get an aisle seat. Put the air on. If none of this works don't fly. This man needs prison time and that's when he can really work on his claustrophobia."

Thank you Capt. Obvious for informing us all that claustrophobia is not justification for opening airplane doors in flight.

God help us all.

Why can't the captain just open the door?

Oh the lights on the actual door. I was picturing cas messages or master caution lights. Got it
More information than you ever wanted.

I'm pretty sure we were just to run the manual vertical speed control up until the outflow valve was open at Yellow if the light was flashing, but I'm flushing that stuff as rapidly as possible.

Back