Asiana Door Opened in Flight

I was just coming to post and someone already had it up....

Assumption: Doors cannot be opened in flight 'at altitude' due to pressurization.
Question: Does the pressurization turn on/off automatically when descending to or reaching a designed altitude?

It seems this was below 1000 feet looking at the articles I saw.

I was just coming to post and someone already had it up....

Assumption: Doors cannot be opened in flight 'at altitude' due to pressurization.
Question: Does the pressurization turn on/off automatically when descending to or reaching a designed altitude?

It seems this was below 1000 feet looking at the articles I saw.

Automatic pressure controllers will set to a value between 50 and 500 feet above field pressure altitude - so at some point in the approach the pressure on the outside will equal the pressure on the inside - this is maintained through landing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JEP
I find it interesting people had "breathing problems". I wonder if it is mental or due to the shock of the guy opening the door. Probably both...

I find it interesting people had "breathing problems". I wonder if it is mental or due to the shock of the guy opening the door. Probably both...

I imagine the sudden wind would kick up a ton of dust and dirt… plus shock of somebody opening it.

Automatic pressure controllers will set to a value between 50 and 500 feet above field pressure altitude - so at some point in the approach the pressure on the outside will equal the pressure on the inside - this is maintained through landing.

In one of my current airframes the Final Checks cannot be completed until pressurization drops below .7psi. I find this usually happens around 800 feet, give or take. That's still 80lbs of force pushing out on the door, and our door opens outward.

I am reminded of this sad story of an American Airline flight attendant that may have been blown out a door because of some residual cabin pressure (A300) that made it difficult for the crew to open the entry doors while on the ground.

I am reminded of this sad story of an American Airline flight attendant that may have been blown out a door because of some residual cabin pressure (A300) that made it difficult for the crew to open the entry doors while on the ground.

Arghh... Paywalls suck.

The A300 and A310 series didn’t have the residual pressure warning light that you see installed on the entry door windows and emergency exits of later Airbus airplanes. It did become available later as a retrofit, as it was designed later than these jets. The A300/310s that were not converted, instead had a warning placard at the door locations. A350 and 380 have a warning horn in addition to the flashing warning lights at the door, if residual cabin pressure is sensed past a preset point in the event a pressurization outflow valve didn’t fully open.

These warning lights are placed in the sill of the door window, so they can be seen by both FAs in the cabin as well as either jetway ground personnel, or crash rescue personnel.

In one of my current airframes the Final Checks cannot be completed until pressurization drops below .7psi. I find this usually happens around 800 feet, give or take. That's still 80lbs of force pushing out on the door, and our door opens outward.

My current airframe starts to set field PA+ 500ft roughly 200nm from the airport in its normal low rate mode, previous was +50. Pressure checks are not on the checklist though.

I’d find guess that .7 PSI at 800 feet = 0 PSI somewhere in that 50-500 foot window though.

The A300 and A310 series didn’t have the residual pressure warning light that you see installed on the entry door windows and emergency exits of later Airbus airplanes. It did become available later as a retrofit, as it was designed later than these jets. The A300/310s that were not converted, instead had a warning placard at the door locations. A350 and 380 have a warning horn in addition to the flashing warning lights at the door, if residual cabin pressure is sensed past a preset point in the event a pressurization outflow valve didn’t fully open.

These warning lights are placed in the sill of the door window, so they can be seen by both FAs in the cabin as well as either jetway ground personnel, or crash rescue personnel.
Parking brake set, split engine masters (to make the RPCU work), seat belt sign...

Parking brake set, split engine masters (to make the RPCU work), seat belt sign...

For those who aren’t familiar. Written on all four sides of the sign, installed in the window sill of the entry doors, and illuminates red when it senses the preset cabin differential or greater.

FC0C172D-DFC4-45A7-A3BB-6384D92AA723.jpeg

Back