Applying For a Class 1 Medical After a Previous Revocation

pilot4500

IT Architect/ Former Cirrus Charter Pilot
Back in March 2013 I was issued a First Class medical. I had an issue with tachycardia at the time so my AME deferred the application and sent me to a cardiologist. I was temporarily put on a beta blocker to control my tachycardia. Both the AME and Cardiologist were very convinced that I was not at risk for any significant cardiac event. My First Class medical was issued, but the FAA sent me certified letter a month later and said that I needed to have a halter monitor test. At the time, I did not have medical insurance and could not afford it. I had already spent a boatload of money seeing a cardiologist and did a number of EKGs as well as a stress ECG where they checked my heart functions while on a treadmill. Both the AME and cardiologist that I was seeing said that a halter monitor exam was not medically necessary, but the FAA disagreed. My medical was then revoked a few months later. I do not have tachycardia anymore thanks to making major changes in my diet and exercise, and I have been off the medication for over a year. I also found out that the quickest way to have medical problems is to eat fast food regularly. McDonalds food will kill you if you eaten regularly. I learned that lesson the hard way.

I am much healthier now and have last quite a bit of weight since my last FAA medical exam. My wife tells me that I have turned into a fitness nut, and I am ok with that. :) I now have an opportunity to join a Part 135 operation flying a Cirrus that would suit my lifestyle well, provided that I can pass a medical. I am applying for a First Class medical to see if I can pass it. I am 34 so I do not require an EKG until next year. Do you guys think that I will have any trouble getting the medical? Even if it is issued, do you think that I will get a nasty certified letter from the FAA demanding more tests? I have 6,300 hours total time, and I have to admit that I do miss being the cockpit. I really love flying the Cirrus SR-22. I know that Dr. Forred does not come to this forum anymore, but I welcome all input.

Back