Denied Medical & Appeal Denied

Turbolag

Hey everyone.

I was denied a Class 3 medical application and the appeal I filed was denied.

I take a medication not on the allowed list by the FAA. However, the dose is not as much as recommended. I sent a letter from my Dr. to the FAA along with my medical application. The Dr. note said I was fine to fly and there are no issues.

My medication does not cause any impairment or delayed reaction times. Every flight instructor I have flown with has complimented me on my ability to handle the aircraft.

Is there anything I can do? I feel like they are lumping me into a group and it is not accurate.

My goal was to make a career change to aviation but now it looks like it's over.

Thanks guys.

There are a few organizations hat specialize in difficult medicals, you should seek out one of them.

Something else that is worth thinking of, and you don’t have to tell us, is the medication the issue or the condition the medication is treating?

There are a few organizations hat specialize in difficult medicals, you should seek out one of them.

Something else that is worth thinking of, and you don’t have to tell us, is the medication the issue or the condition the medication is treating?
Like the AOPA? Should I join there?

Like the AOPA? Should I join there?

If you've already been denied, and the appeal was denied - this may not be something they would tackle, but could certainly refer you to someone what specializes in appeals.

If you've already been denied, and the appeal was denied - this may not be something they would tackle, but could certainly refer you to someone what specializes in appeals.

Thank you for this. I just read that the NTSB can overrule an FAA decision if there is valid proof. Here: Denial of Medical Certification

So, I think I will call the NTSB on Monday.

Am I on the right track? Are you able to list any other organizations? Completely understand if you cannot.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for this. I just read that the NTSB can overrule an FAA decision if there is valid proof. Here: Denial of Medical Certification

So, I think I will call the NTSB on Monday.

Am I on the right track? Are you able to list any other organizations? Completely understand if you cannot.

Thank you for your help.

It isn't as easy as calling up the NTSB and asking for them to overturn the FAA's ruling. You're definitely going to need help from an organization that specializes in advocating for medical certifications. Since you are new to this arena, AOPA is always a good start, but they might refer you to someone else for your particular case.

Good luck in your quest.

There are two options here. One is an NTSB appeal. There are detailed procedural rules for that and DIY is not a good option. The other is a new application, in which case consulting with an AME ito assess likkel of success and getting all ducks in a row. In either case, professional help is the best path to a (maybe) successful outcome.

Talk to these guys. I used them multiple times when I was an ALPA member. They’re very thorough and knowledgeable. The $50 fee is worth it. If you’re a lost cause, they’ll tell you.

There are two options here. One is an NTSB appeal. There are detailed procedural rules for that and DIY is not a good option. The other is a new application, in which case consulting with an AME ito assess likkel of success and getting all ducks in a row. In either case, professional help is the best path to a (maybe) successful outcome.
Yes, definitely get professional help with the process. One thing I learned over the years with our pilot group is that people don't know how much they don't know about the processes involved with medicals that aren't straight forward. The recommendation above of AMAS is probably a good one (I've heard they have a really good reputation). The professionals that worked with our guys in west Michigan was AirDocs, and I recommend them highly.

You want to work with doctors that specialize in working with the FAA full time, not the local doctors that do flight physicals as a side gig to whatever their day gig is.

Thank you for the replies, everyone.

I am on the AMAS site right now looking at the individual consultation options.

I didn't know you could start a new application with the FAA. I thought you only had one.

Is it better to email the AMAS for the $49 fee or join as a member?

Or is the $70 for a phone call better?

Thanks, everyone.

Talk to these guys. I used them multiple times when I was an ALPA member. They’re very thorough and knowledgeable. The $50 fee is worth it. If you’re a lost cause, they’ll tell you.

Thanks for the link. Should I email them for the $40 or is it better to call and pay the $70? Are these the two ways you get everything in motion?

Thanks again.

Oh, that sounds painful, do you do NTSB appeals? And how do you charge for them, and what would be a ball park figure.

Oh, that sounds painful, do you do NTSB appeals? And how do you charge for them, and what would be a ball park figure.
I'm 99% retired and don't anymore. Expect to pay a bunch up front. And it's not just lawyer fees. If the appeal is that the FAA should not be using this as a basis for denial or that it should not apply in this case, there will usually be significant costs for developing evidence and expert meducal opinion to support your position.

I guess the person filing the appeal has to cover all these costs. What would you estimate the costs to be?

Thank you for the replies.

The Chinese and Japanese have been using herbal medicines for thousands of years. They're very effective in certain cases. If a herbal medicine can treat whatever health issue you have it might obviate the need to jump through all the FAA hoops. It might be worth seeking out a qualified doctor specializing herbal medicine. The Japanese word for herbal medicine is 'kanpoyaku'.
The food one eats should also be viewed as akin to medicine. A diet tailored to your blood type, lifestyle and allergies can work wonders.....

Back